All this suspension talk.. Planning out DD '02 WRX changes.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
The jolt stamp of approval.

That's a successful build.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Indeed, that's a great simple set up. My only comment would be about the rear Group-N tophats. To me personally they weren't worth the cost ($260/pair new?) as I didn't feel like they made any noticable improvements. Certainly not +$200 worth over NAPA brand new units

Besides that I would suggest an H-Brace and rear strut tower brace to tighten things up. May be sway bars down the road, but I found endlinks made more of a difference in feel for me (which you already have). My $0.02.

What about sway bar orientation? :P
Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Wow, awesome - thanks for the feedback! I had heard of Swifts back in the Duke/Subabrew days but didn't have too much luck searching for a place to buy them. TiC is listed, but they don't show them on their site (unless I am just doing it wrong).

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I think your list is perfect man. Seriously.

The only thing I'd consider beyond that is some fender braces.

Great start. Not excessive. Everything will be tight and you'll have adjustment in the sway bars and the struts... and camber... to get it set up the way you want.

Perfect.
Thanks! Yes, definitely need some bracing and fender braces is a perfect start. Part of what is holding me back is I owned ALL OF THIS STUFF and gave it all away to the person that bought my swap abortion. So, I am trying to swallow that bitter pill.

Every time I drive into my driveway, I hear a "pop" in my car, and really want that to stop. I had considered a FSTB but I do not know which one will fit with my classic Vishnu TMIC. Sort of lost on the bracing front, except I know I am getting a set of TiC fender braces (unless someone has a better idea). Again.

Originally Posted by flukewrx
The RCE Blacks won't really change much of the front wheel gap. They are a fantastic spring, but if you want the looks then you may want to consider the setup I currently have.

Swift Spec R Springs
Koni Yellow Struts
D_Rex Koni Strut Extenders
Turn in Concepts - Black Rubber Bumpstops
Whiteline Com C Top Hats (Front)
Group N Top Hats (Rear) (04+ Style to match the springs)
Group N Pitch Stop
Whiteline Heavy Duty Gear Box Mounts (i.e. Transmission Mounts)
JDM STI Titanium Front Strut Tower Bar
Whiteline Rear Strut Tower Bar
Whiteline 24mm Adjustable Sway Bars (Front & Rear)
OEM 04+ Rear Metal Sway Bar Mounts
Noltec End Links (Front & Rear)
Whiteline Front Roll Center Adjustment Kit
Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
Whiteline Rear Outrigger Bushings
Turn in Concepts - Rear Diff Mount Bushings - Comfort
BigJap Fender Cowl Braces
Awesome! Can I get a ride? This sounds perfect. I will do some searching on the Swifts as even though I know it's just cosmetic, I hate the gap.

With the Swifts, is it still a good idea to convert to '04+ rear tops? How do the Whiteline ComC tophats change geometry? I think they add camber, but need to read more.

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
^ The D_Rex extenders are good idea. Shame they don't fit on my car.

I'd suggest the GroundControl springs/perches. You can pick your rates, to mirror the RCE rates, and adjust the height, dial in exactly how much wheel gap you want.
What do the strut extenders do? I hear you on the perches, but if I can get a set of springs that meet my needs for now, I think that would make a lot more sense for my current application and retardo-crazy life. My Eibachs on my old '03 set the nose down perfectly for me. Same with the Prodrives.

When my life settles down, I can pull my struts and convert them with GC parts.

That's a very well thought out set up... I noticed you have some cowl braces. LOL!

This set up is sick...

And yeah... for looks Swifts are way better. I am a huge fan of their springs. I usually recommend Swift first and RCE second.

When my pink wagon springs come off they're getting replaced with swift.
I need to do some searching! Can you recommend a supplier for Swifts? They list a bunch of dealers on their site. I see that Porterfield is a distributer, but let me know if you know someone to check with.

Looks like for my '02 sedan, I would go with the 4F005's.

Originally Posted by Concillian
Switch to used 04 rear tophats, there's so little rubber in the rear hats it's not a big deal.

Use the extra for fender cowl braces.

Your list is very similar to my setup. It's very nice.
Sounds good. Is it a good idea to go with '04 tophats regardless? It seems like that is the case.

Also forgot to mention that I have the complete Group-N engine mount set with pitch and trans mounts, but they are around 11 years old now. Installed with all the Vishnu gear back in the day.

Thanks again for the consideration and comments! I have actually been thinking about this for about a year, so it's pretty important to me. Just have been fixing so many other things that have been absorbing the cash that was set aside to do this.

Cheers!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I need to do some searching! Can you recommend a supplier for Swifts? They list a bunch of dealers on their site.
Probably most of the shops normally mentioned here can get the Swifts depending on where you are located. Are you in the South Bay? I am still deciding on shocks but most likely going with Swifts too.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:19 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by slugrx
You don't experience understeer? Not pushing it hard enough haha jk

^^^he's got a good list
Hi!

Indeed, that's a great simple set up. My only comment would be about the rear Group-N tophats. To me personally they weren't worth the cost ($260/pair new?) as I didn't feel like they made any noticable improvements. Certainly not +$200 worth over NAPA brand new units

Besides that I would suggest an H-Brace and rear strut tower brace to tighten things up. May be sway bars down the road, but I found endlinks made more of a difference in feel for me (which you already have). My $0.02.
That is a consideration for sure. I have not checked prices yet, but I am sure some of this will shift around a bit. I would also be fine with the "used '04s" idea as long as I can inspect them. Thing is, mine are stock, so I want to replace them just so that I do not have to wonder if they need to be replaced.

Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
I like my KYB GR2 strut and Whiteline Wagon-specific spring set up.

Wheel gap is slightly removed, but the ride is still comfortable for DD and spirited driving.
Yeah, I have to admit I really liked my AGXs/P1's on my '01 RS. I did not expect to be impressed as I was.

Yeah. I've read that a lot but if you've got the dough it's a good thing to get just to not have to worry about it. But that dough can definitely go a long way in other places.

As for the h-brace or the strut tower BEFORE sway bars.... no way.

Sway bars are probably more important to the handling upgrades of the car than upgrading the struts/springs.

Braces come last. People get strut bars and stuff first because you can see them... you feel cool. Look cool. Like hey... my ****s not stock. Doing it before upgrading the rest of your suspension is unnecessary unless you come up on a fat deal. They do help... some more than others. But not as much as an upgrade in the sway bar/endlinks situation.
I usually brace my cars as much as possible, but have never really used a FSTB. I am definitely getting the fender braces in as soon as I can, and have heard that they make a difference. I am just not sure what other braces there are out there that would make a difference or fix the issue I am experiencing. The funny thing is my '03 did this too, since the day I drove it off the lot brand new. More or less a "pop" or "creak" in the roof, sounds like coming from around the rear view.

I drove my Justy for a bit without any sway bars and that was pretty hilarious. My current Justy has a factory rear sway bar which looks more or less like a bent chopstick and it makes a huge huge difference in how the car handles.

At the same time, I will probably leave the front sway stock at least for a long time. Might change the rear down the line and I plan on getting the Whiteline HD rear mounts mostly because they look effing awesome.

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Look at those parts... I want to make sexy time with your car
LOL!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 04GG
Probably most of the shops normally mentioned here can get the Swifts depending on where you are located. Are you in the South Bay? I am still deciding on shocks but most likely going with Swifts too.
Peninsula. I will probably need to order all the parts on my own, and bring it all into the shop.

Just get Konis, you cannot go wrong!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:24 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Yeah. I've read that a lot but if you've got the dough it's a good thing to get just to not have to worry about it. But that dough can definitely go a long way in other places.

As for the h-brace or the strut tower BEFORE sway bars.... no way.

Sway bars are probably more important to the handling upgrades of the car than upgrading the struts/springs.

Braces come last. People get strut bars and stuff first because you can see them... you feel cool. Look cool. Like hey... my ****s not stock. Doing it before upgrading the rest of your suspension is unnecessary unless you come up on a fat deal. They do help... some more than others. But not as much as an upgrade in the sway bar/endlinks situation.
I posted my suggestions in "no particular order". I didn't mean to imply one over the other. Also my cars are as far from "feel cool" and "look cool" and "check out my **** yo" as you can get. IMHO it all depends on the applicaiton and driving styles...for eaxmple, on my DD wagon a rear strut bar made a greater difference than a mild FSB upgrade.

What about sway bar orientation? :P
A) never claimed to be an expert B) hush you!

Last edited by LxJLthr; 04-03-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:25 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
I've had Yellows before and loved them - best shocks I've run. Not crazy about the mounting of them on this car because they are not a "direct" fit like they were on my other car, and the shop I work with said he would rather not install them like that. The carry Swift though - Mann Engineering in Santa Clara.

I have the Perrin front STB and it really does make a difference; not a difference like a sway, but that's not what it is for. Chassis stiffening is not exactly the same thing as directly linked suspension components, but I agree they are not the first parts to start tweaking with.

Waiting for MONTHS to hear back from GST on my Whiteline rear STB *HINT HINT*

Last edited by 04GG; 04-03-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
D-Rex extenders allow the Koni Yellow to sit .75-1" lower, giving you that much more in shock travel (and that much less in droop).

I don't know if you can still buy them. I just used 4-5 washers to get the same result.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
WTF? That's retarded.

Why not get a larger rear bar and keep your stock front bar?

I have an upgraded front and rear bar and have ZERO problems getting the rear to come around. Reducing stability is silly.
I do have a larger bar and ran it with multiple set ups. Dropping the end link on the front gave me faster lap times around the track. Wouldn't say its retarded. I'm not looking to have the car come around where its all oversteer at exit, thats slow, I have it tuned to what worked for me. It can get squirrelly under braking, but on exit its planted all traction.

If you look at many car set ups especially in racing, you'll notice many cars don't even come with sway bars. Take for example a Lotus, 05 Elise doesn't come with a bar at all in the rear.

If i'm worried about roll, I make adjustments elsewhere since coilovers allow me to (higher spring rates etc).
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 AM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Peninsula. I will probably need to order all the parts on my own, and bring it all into the shop.

Just get Konis, you cannot go wrong!
i have an extra set of fender brace that should fit your car. pm me if interested.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 04GG
I've had Yellows before and loved them - best shocks I've run. Not crazy about the mounting of them on this car because they are not a "direct" fit like they were on my other car, and the shop I work with said he would rather not install them like that. The carry Swift though - Mann Engineering in Santa Clara.

I have the Perrin front STB and it really does make a difference; not a difference like a sway, but that's not what it is for. Chassis stiffening is not exactly the same thing as directly linked suspension components, but I agree they are not the first parts to start tweaking with.

Waiting for MONTHS to hear back from GST on my Whiteline rear STB *HINT HINT*
If you need someone to assemble a set of Konis, my mechanic does a beautiful job and even paints the housings where they were cut to prevent rust. Then, they could be delivered to this shop that does not want to assemble them, for direct installation.

I am hoping to have a garage again soon, and in that case, as long as I had a bench vise, I could assemble them for you.

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
If you look at many car set ups especially in racing, you'll notice many cars don't even come with sway bars. Take for example a Lotus, 05 Elise doesn't come with a bar at all in the rear.

If i'm worried about roll, I make adjustments elsewhere since coilovers allow me to (higher spring rates etc).
None of the first Elises had front or rear swaybars. That was a rather touted thing as well, that it handled so well and did not have sways. The Elise 190 that I drove while living in England did not have sways. I checked.

D-Rex extenders allow the Koni Yellow to sit .75-1" lower, giving you that much more in shock travel (and that much less in droop).

I don't know if you can still buy them. I just used 4-5 washers to get the same result.
Interesting. So do you end up opening up the hole in the bottom of the OEM housing so that the insert pokes through and sits lower in relation to the strut housing? Caution: I might be confused, but still excited!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:05 PM
General Pimpin'

I posted my suggestions in "no particular order". I didn't mean to imply one over the other. Also my cars are as far from "feel cool" and "look cool" and "check out my **** yo" as you can get. IMHO it all depends on the applicaiton and driving styles...for eaxmple, on my DD wagon a rear strut bar made a greater difference than a mild FSB upgrade.

A) never claimed to be an expert B) hush you!
Werd... I was making a general statement... I think. LOL!

And yeah... rear strut bars in wagons... big help. Sedans... not as much.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by LifePlaza
I do have a larger bar and ran it with multiple set ups. Dropping the end link on the front gave me faster lap times around the track. Wouldn't say its retarded. I'm not looking to have the car come around where its all oversteer at exit, thats slow, I have it tuned to what worked for me. It can get squirrelly under braking, but on exit its planted all traction.

That makes sense... on a track car and with suspension built around NOT having a bar.

I don't think ours are set up that way. But if it makes YOU faster then by all means, do it.

I'd NEVER do it on my car.... ever. You can do things to help with roll... like an ALK in the front but I don't currently have one. And even with one I wouldn't run without a bar. Ever.

I don't have my car set up for the track though it is plenty track capable. But it's not a track only set up. My last car was built that way and even on that thing I had HUGE sway bars and my springs were retarded stiff on my Zeal Coil Overs. I ran that car with all kinds of different bars and with the zeals it was fine with smaller bars but I felt much more planted when I got my 27mm set up with it. Hated those coil overs on the street though.

I think you have to keep things separate. A COMFORTABLE (ish) street car can not be set up the way a track prep'd car can. And advising folks to do it is kind of silly in my opinion.

If someone came to me and said... hey I'm building a car for the track. It'll see a little street time but my focus is the track... what suspension should I do. I'd have a completely different list of parts than I would if someone came and said... hey I want to build a sick handling street car that I can sit in traffic in and maybe do the occasional track day or ax.

I also think it's odd to build suspension on a car built like ours to a car built like a Lotus. That entire car... including the shell is built around aiding the suspension. Ours are not.

But it makes you faster on the track so have at it. I don't always understand what Gagan is doing to make his car faster on the Auto X circuit but he builds his car with that style of track in mind... not the street and not the track... and AX course... period. LOL. So he does things I'd never do on my car. LOL.

Some folks love to have huge bars in the rear and stock in the front... or in your case nothing in the front. I've never jumped into that theory.

So in the case of what he's building... I do think no front sway bar is silly.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by chochocho
i have an extra set of fender brace that should fit your car. pm me if interested.
Woot... one part of the list. LOL!

I've been kicking around building my own. I've got to pull my fender off to do my door swap anyways. But I need to find a set of take offs to build a jig.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All this suspension talk.. Planning out DD '02 WRX changes.