About to Install a Godspeed Inlet

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon EJ25
About to Install a Godspeed Inlet

So my stock turbo inlet has torn and is making a whistling noise. I ordered a Godspeed inlet. Im pretty nervous about this install, mostly about taking the vacuum lines off the old one and getting them back on the new one correctly. Does anyone have any advice or tips to help with the install?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by runboyrun
So my stock turbo inlet has torn and is making a whistling noise. I ordered a Godspeed inlet. Im pretty nervous about this install, mostly about taking the vacuum lines off the old one and getting them back on the new one correctly. Does anyone have any advice or tips to help with the install?
Removing your manifold is the sanest way. For me the pcv line was the hardest to get off and then reroute using a ton of flexible lines. Then there were the bloody hands...
Old 06-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Not sure I may be wrong here as I don't know the size, but if this inlet is bigger / flows more than stock you will want to get a tune before you do any wide open throttle driving, possibly any driving at all.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Take pictures of every step including BEFORE you touch anything, so you know how things go back together.

Unfortunately, wrxBRAH is correct, you should remove the manifold if you don't want to be kicking yourself.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Not sure I may be wrong here as I don't know the size, but if this inlet is bigger / flows more than stock you will want to get a tune before you do any wide open throttle driving, possibly any driving at all.
Notsureifsrs. How would replacing an inlet up your airflow? Inlet is after the maf and before the throttle body. I've never heard anyone get a tune for a inlet.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Removing your manifold is the sanest way. For me the pcv line was the hardest to get off and then reroute using a ton of flexible lines. Then there were the bloody hands...
I know it makes things easier but that totally freaks me out. I've never done anything to that extent on my car.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Notsureifsrs. How would replacing an inlet up your airflow? Inlet is after the maf and before the throttle body. I've never heard anyone get a tune for a inlet.
ya installing an inlet doesnt need a tune but a tune can help get a couple more hp out of it though.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
+1 i did it without super annoying
Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I installed my Perrin inlet without removing the manifold. I HIGHLY recommend doing it this way rather than removing the manifold. The Godspeed inlet is silicone so you should have no problem wiggling it in. Making the connection to the compressor is the most frustrating part so just take your time.

Removing the manifold if you don't absolutely have to is a waste of time and money (gaskets). Just have a game plan for what vacuum lines go where (on the new inlet) before you begin and you will be fine. You should be able to find some install guides online just do a quick search. Also read Godspeeds instructions to see how the recommend hooking up the vac lines (if there are less connections on the new inlet).
Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 PM

Car Info: 99 Swap'd GM6
Stock inlets have weird ribs (for her pleasure) and are smaller. Larger inlet, especially with an intake, will flow a lot more air. A lot more.

I wouldn't imagine you'd need a tune for doing ONLY an inlet, but if you're going to get a tune, do all of this at once and get your tune done 1 time, instead of for each part that requires it.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Superusdm
I installed my Perrin inlet without removing the manifold. I HIGHLY recommend doing it this way rather than removing the manifold. The Godspeed inlet is silicone so you should have no problem wiggling it in. Making the connection to the compressor is the most frustrating part so just take your time.

Removing the manifold if you don't absolutely have to is a waste of time and money (gaskets). Just have a game plan for what vacuum lines go where (on the new inlet) before you begin and you will be fine. You should be able to find some install guides online just do a quick search. Also read Godspeeds instructions to see how the recommend hooking up the vac lines (if there are less connections on the new inlet).
Didn't know it was silicone, but the "ribbing" on the stock inlet also allows for some misalignment that makes it a bit easier to install as well. YES it can be done without removing the manifold if you have a pretty good idea of what your doing, but that doesn't sound like the case here - the OP already stated that this would be new territory. So removing the manifold actually complicates the job, but will ultimately make it easier. If the OP hasn't done something this complex, it might potentially be less of a job to do it without removing the manifold, but then I would have ordered a TMIC/BPV hose kit at the same time and done all of that in one shot too.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
Originally Posted by Superusdm

^^ this..

i had a samco one and installed it back in the day. no problems.

The proper way is to remove the manifold, but that is only if you are looking keep the oem inlet. the area where the inlet connects to the clamp is pretty thin on the oem one and it tends to rip and will cause vaccum leaks. You'd probbaly be best to ditch the old one anyway. When i installed my samco one.. i ended up just cutting up and destroying the oem one taking it out.That is probably the most difficult part of the install is taking out the old one. the new one is flexible and easier to maneuver.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:09 PM

I think I can manage it, im just not 100% sure on fitment/what goes where, it looks like some people end up adding extensions for the pcv line and some dont...idk as long as this ends up being easier than replacing the turbo oil drain hose I should be fine. I think if I could find a step by step guide I would be all ready, Ill have a buddy to help so Im feeling better taking this on.

Ill probably either take pictures of what goes where or label the lines on where the go on the inlet.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by mistaanime
^^ this..

i had a samco one and installed it back in the day. no problems.

The proper way is to remove the manifold, but that is only if you are looking keep the oem inlet. the area where the inlet connects to the clamp is pretty thin on the oem one and it tends to rip and will cause vaccum leaks. You'd probbaly be best to ditch the old one anyway. When i installed my samco one.. i ended up just cutting up and destroying the oem one taking it out.That is probably the most difficult part of the install is taking out the old one. the new one is flexible and easier to maneuver.
Oh yeah, its leaking, that ***** is gone! haha.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:13 PM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
I have a brand NEW never used APS 3" hard pipe kit, they stop making these years ago. I sold my STi and found it in my garage, anyone interested $400 takes her home. Best turbo inlet made to date, fitment is spot on and has 2.4" adaptor if needed!

Quick Reply: About to Install a Godspeed Inlet