2 hours and counting

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 02:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
2 hours and counting

Well...this is it. 2 hours and my job is finished. 2 hours and I leave the last 7 years and 5 months of my life behind me. No more working for SBC. I turned over all my keys, passwords, my laptop, my ID card, my credit card, etc. As of the 8th I will not exist to SBC. I got my final pay check.

It's awesome. I hate this place. I hate the commute. Been coming from milpitas and what not for the last 7 plus years and watsonville the last month. I hate my director. I hate this crap.

But it's very sad. I'm leaving behind a few people that are like family to me. I'm leaving behind the office I call home. My awesome G5. Two huge awesome monitors. My hours and hours upon end of free high speed internet access while I sit and kill time at work.

It's pretty hard to leave something like this behind..I did not anticipate this. It's pretty hard to up and move, get new job and go for it in such a short time frame.

Less than a month ago I had a nice apartment in milpitas a good paying secure job in san francisco and was a staple in the bay area....a bay arean I guess. An active member of several forums. A job I've had for over 7 years where I work less than half the day. Sleep or go online the other half. Sometimes more.

On tuesday I will be back in Santa Cruz county. Crashing in a room under my girlfriend folks house. A new job. My first day. No idea what's going on. $20,000 a year less on my paycheck and little security. No forum surfing during the day.

But honestly...I really believe I'll be happier. I'll have more time for my cars. My girlfriend. My life. I'll probably loose weight. Just be happier. I won't have money to toss around but in time that will come. I truly believe that. Right now I have a lot to learn, maybe even back to school. Get a degree....end up getting closer to the 6 figures I think I'm worth. haa.

Anyways..you guys are gonna see very little of me at UCKK. not to much of me on the boards. But hey...hopefully you'll see me at the track. Come to SC and we can grab a beer.

So.....2 hours from my last step in this life, first into the next.

Pretty ****ing weird man. 33% of my life here.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:43 PM
UTR Member

Car Info: 93 Impreza L
gl bro.. im down to head over the hill for some brews
Old 08-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Car Info: WR Blue 2004 WRX
BURN THAT MOTHA DOWN! Er I mean... good luck with your next job.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:00 PM

Car Info: WREX
What will you be doing at your next job?
Old 08-05-2005, 03:05 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
congrats man. as long as your happy, and life is good. whats 20k? =P besides a downpayment on a new car, or a new bike, or new toys. but happiness in life is key.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:11 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
good luck with your new job man! I have to say, enjoy and be happy with what you do is a lot more important than making the bank. Unless what you do can't support your daily life. You've worked long enough, you are old enough, and I am sure you know what you are doing before you took that 20k pay cut. My friend always tell me, "No guts, no glory!" Again, good luck!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:15 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by thebing
congrats man. as long as your happy, and life is good. whats 20k? =P besides a downpayment on a new car, or a new bike, or new toys. but happiness in life is key.

$20k a year can add up to a pretty dope house..haaa. It's cool. I'm confident I'll recoup my losses when the time is right. Not really a karma guy but definately believe in reap and sow. I'll just keep on reaping for the time being.

as for the place. I'll be a graphic designer for www.jaguardesignstudio.com

seems like good people and a great environment.

Rob...you're always welcome broham. Speaking of which...drop me an email.
thePowderhound@gmail.com. Got an evite to send out. Got my beer fridge stocked in the garage...

MAN this is freeking tough. Call me a wuss man but as people keep coming to say good bye it gets worse and worse. People closer to crying...I was just a kid...like someone to take care of when I started here. These folks love me here. I love them. Been hard not to cry...I'm definately not gonna make it through without shedding a few. Sounds strange for a place that has been so aweful to me and so aweful to work for. But the people I've worked with are awesome people. I'll miss them.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Congrats on the new job man....and good luck with everything

Change is (almost) always a good thing, and its very easy to get caught up in a fairly well paying job and kick it there for the rest of one's life...

Just know there's a reason you're moving...whether that reason is apparent to you or not.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:36 PM

I left a position at a big company in Texas. After just one year it was still kinda hard leaving my friends behind.

But life moves on and there will be more to celebrate down the line.

Good luck OMA.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:30 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I went through the same thing when I left surfcontrol a month ago. But I do not hate the company like you hate SBC. ;P I hate SBC too, they are ****ing bastards.

I left a lot of cool people, but went somewhere where I actually have work to do, paid a tiny bit more($3K more) but am salary now. All in all though, I am glad I made the decision I made. Now I just need to pick up the pace a bit and I will be OK.

Hapiness/contentness? at the place you spend 2/3 or more of your day makes a difference.
I spent a year of doing almost nothing with my day. I opened outlook, read i-club, slashdot, rootprompt, securityfocus, nasioc, a few other sites, read some more geek **** and wrote perl scripts to annoy people. Customers would call me some times, I would help them, and they would be on their way. Sounds like fun eh? not really.

I say congrats Ray, I promise your life will turn around. If anything you will be happy for a little while.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:33 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by Monoxide
BURN THAT MOTHA DOWN! Er I mean... good luck with your next job.
yeah, gut a fish on your desk, kick down your cubicle, and beat the ever loving **** out of a fax machine :rotfl: in seriousness, good luck man.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:59 PM

Car Info: evo8
damn man youre in a very good location there,next to a dayspa at least you get to see some honeys around there at least youre very close to the beach now to get some R&R done.just hit me up whenever youre free and we can set up something
Old 08-06-2005, 12:03 AM

Car Info: 2004 USDM STI
It is probably a good move, who knows what will have once SBC and ATT are one again.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:20 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
too bad ya gotta part ways w/ such a great buncha folks. but it looks like your optimism alone on your new job will make this sudden transition that much more smoother. plus, all the other important aspects in your life outside of work are gaining so much more than what ya might think you've lost w/ this pay-cut.

so here's a nice big hasta la vista, SBC for friday afternoon! and an even bigger "Get It On!" *ala MXC* for Tuesday morning!
Old 08-06-2005, 02:40 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX Limited
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I'll have more time for my cars. My girlfriend. My life. I'll probably loose weight. Just be happier.....
..and bikes!

Good luck mate!!