2.5RS GC8 Swap/BAR Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 07:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by salvator_rizzo
when I got my last car BAR'd (98 RS w/ 06 WRX everything) I told the guy exactly what I did to the car and told him it was running off the 06 ECU etc they'll see that anyway but you know..

You will want to look as stock as possible. Stock cats a must. Stock catback highly suggested. They won't notice the vf39 so don't worry about that. TMIC is totally ok thats stock on suby's if he gives you **** explain that. I would try and ditch the CAI for a stock intake just to make things go by smoother.

What they'll look for when they plug in is to make sure your smog sensors are working. On my car there's something like 6 of them. FLI told me as long as 3 are working thats ok. That includes one for each o2 sensor etc. I had the charcoal canister hooked up, stock cats, both 02 sensors and a smog pump plugged in so my car flew with flying colors.

When I went (in like 08 lol) it cost 8.50 so worst comes to worse you find out whats wrong and do it again.
Yep, stock everything, and correct for the year of the engine/ECU. You "can have" CARB approved items but it's best to not have any for this process (including the intake, etc). Put all the stock covers and plastic parts on that would be possible - alternator cover, fuse cover, turbo heat-shield, etc. Make 100% sure that the evap cannister is there up under the RR bumper and plumbed correctly.

When doing a swap, it's helpful to swap the tanks if the cars are too far apart age-wise because it ensures that all the fittings and sensors are in place. With my '95 coupe, it would have been really hard to use the '95 fuel tank with the '04 emissions gear.

As far as the monitors being on, yes this is important too. Means the car needs to have been driven for a while after the last ECU reset basically but there are "methods" mentioned on this forum where you can help them engage faster.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Car Info: 00 BRP 2.5RS Sold = 04 SRR WRX Wagon, 06 AW STI :(
Will it make a difference if the ECU is tuned, it was done by the shop who did the swap.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I can't have my own catback?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by IHeartE30s
Will it make a difference if the ECU is tuned, it was done by the shop who did the swap.
Hard to say. Best bet is stock that matches the parts. No CELs.

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Are you asking me? Yes, you can have a catback but you will want a stock downpipe and cat for the visit. Probably even a stock up-pipe depending on the shop. But you get what I am saying, right - you just want to look the part, and definitely NOT like you are trying to sneak something by. I would feel more comfortable with a stock exhaust system, but I wouldn't forgo the visit if I had an aftermarket catback.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:01 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
Will not matter if its tuned, I flashed out a couple codes that were for the rear o2 before I went in, they didnt notice one thing.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:51 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
as long as it "looks" stock, have your cats, you are good.

No colorful silicone hoses, no bs.

They will ask what motor you have, they will check you according to w/e they say you have.

So if you told them you have an 03 wrx engine, they will check for the 3 cats the best of their ability. They won't be able to tell if the uppipe has a cat or not, they will have to take your word for it if they can't find the "3rd" cat.

stock exhaust manifold is a must, best with the one still have heat shield that says subaru on it.

Take off your boost gauges etc, don't give them a reason to fail you.

Depending on the referee they may or may not smog you there.

Also check out the smog station ask him a few questions before going see how strict he is etc etc.

I bar'd my car without a dash =]
Helped a friend bar a ej207 with jdm ecu too

Last edited by MonsterGC; 10-09-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Hard to say. Best bet is stock that matches the parts. No CELs.

Are you asking me? Yes, you can have a catback but you will want a stock downpipe and cat for the visit. Probably even a stock up-pipe depending on the shop. But you get what I am saying, right - you just want to look the part, and definitely NOT like you are trying to sneak something by. I would feel more comfortable with a stock exhaust system, but I wouldn't forgo the visit if I had an aftermarket catback.
Just in general!

I wasn't planning to find a stock catback. I have two flow through mufflers in my straight through 2.5" RS exhaust. It should work perfectly fine sound wise, and yeah, I have the stock DP and will have a STI (catless) UP.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by MonsterGC

They will ask what motor you have, they will check you according to w/e they say you have.

So if you told them you have an 03 wrx engine, they will check for the 3 cats the best of their ability. They won't be able to tell if the uppipe has a cat or not, they will have to take your word for it if they can't find the "3rd" cat.

stock exhaust manifold is a must, best with the one still have heat shield that says subaru on it.

Also check out the smog station ask him a few questions before going see how strict he is etc etc.

That's good. They won't care about my steering wheel then.

I have samco hoses from the donor, so looks like I'll be looking for oem Y hose and recirc hose.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by lanz0r
Will not matter if its tuned, I flashed out a couple codes that were for the rear o2 before I went in, they didnt notice one thing.
Like so many other things, it won't matter - unless it matters. What I am talking about is lowering the chances of issues, not absolutes.

Originally Posted by MonsterGC

Yes, stock exhaust manifold, of course. Exhaust should absolutely be stock between the heads and the cat-back, with as many stock heat-shields as possible. Having all heat-shields in place also makes it harder to see around in general. No gauges is best, absolutely no EGT gauge or anything else that implies the stock smog equipment has been modified!

Just in general!

I wasn't planning to find a stock catback. I have two flow through mufflers in my straight through 2.5" RS exhaust. It should work perfectly fine sound wise, and yeah, I have the stock DP and will have a STI (catless) UP.
Cool, just didn't know who you replied to and didn't want to leave you hanging in case it was me. It sounds like your setup would be fine, however the only possible problem I could think of is that the WRX setup is supposed to have a catted up-pipe with a EGT sensor in place. You'll probably be fine, unless you're not.

That's good. They won't care about my steering wheel then.

I have samco hoses from the donor, so looks like I'll be looking for oem Y hose and recirc hose.
They "shouldn't" care but things that scream "because racecar" are essentially what I am talking about. If you show up looking like someone who has covered all the bases and the car is nicely sorted, it will "most likely" be easier than if you show up with something that looks like a track car you intend to take on the street.

Of course, people have been able to get away with many things, like the items that MonsterGC mentioned. I have heard many things like this in the course of my swap project, but for me personally I need to have reliable and predictable results when dealing with stuff like this. I used to drive several very smog-illegal cars around but that doesn't mean anyone else could or should. Everyone's results may vary, it just "makes sense" to limit the variables as much as possible.

Also your Samco hoses should be fine if they are black. Otherwise, lose them. I put black tape over the white "Samco" labels, or just take them off with sand paper.

To the OP: I am insanely jealous of you, that car is gorgeous. My favorite body made my Subaru. It looks nice, but I would lose the blue radiator hose, the cold air intake, and make sure there is a stock BPV on the I/C. The I/C should be okay but it would be even safer to put the '04 unit on there for the test. Put all the heat shields on the turbo and make it look nice.

The way I look at things like that is this: it's a little bit of work that will eliminate the possibility of an annoying conversation. It's easier now because these cars are getting older, but for example, I swapped all the "blue" parts for "black" parts under my hood, and am going to eliminate the name on top of my I/C just because I never want to talk to a LEO or smog guy about it. That's all.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Yours should be fine dude. Just run the stock DP and UP until after you BAR.

But you could probably borrow a stock set up... I think maybe Jeff has one that's cut down for the RS.

Basically... as long as your wiring is clean and you have all your sensors and cats where they should be... you'll be fine.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
It's like going to smog with a muffler/catback, they might be more suspicious that's all. Stock makes things go smooth.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Old School

My samco hoses are Red. So I will definitely be looking to borrow or find some OEM hoses.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Old School

BUMP

Looking at the Uppipe yesterday it looks like it's a catless STi one, which is not going to work. I bought a STi one thinking this one was aftermarket, but that won't work because of the EGT probeneeds to be there. I'll see if there is a bung for it, if not, maybe I can just have the bung put in.

Otherwise I'll be hunting for a catted WRX one, and will have to go catless later.

Stupid EGT sensor doesn't exist on the STi. When people gut their cats, do they reuse it?

People are nasioc seem to feel the EGT can melt and mess up the turbo... but they are morons, so I can't take anything they armchair seriously.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Old School

http://www.perrinperformance.com/sha...emnosheild.jpg

It looks like that, a bit crude looking and dark in color. Flex joint just like that, and no cat.

I have this other STi one that does have the heatshield on it, maybe just have that modded to take an egt?

Where do people put aftermarket EGTs?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:14 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
Hey gagan, I have a a few stock wrx catted up pipes if you need one!!

Also people normally put the egt probe right after the header flange on the exhaust manifold. Generally on cylinder 3 or 4

Quick Reply: 2.5RS GC8 Swap/BAR Questions