Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

HELP: Re-Turboing an RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Car Info: 1992 Ford Exploder
HELP: Re-Turboing an RS

Hey guys,

Im having some problems doing my turbo swap and want to see if any of you can help.

Here is what I had:
2.2L closed short block
2.5L heads
t3/t4 turbo
custom piping all around

Well, I gave the car to my dad and we both decided it would be a good idea to make it slightly more street legal so we decided to swap in a stock WRX exhaust/turbo so it can pass smog, but we ran into a few issues.

1. The thermostat housing (Plastic) is now touching the WRX exhaust manifold. We went to a junk yard and found a slightly shallower metal housing that fits, but the diameter on the outlet is one size smaller.

2. The Up-pipe hits the engine - We cut away some of the heat shield, but it still leans of the motor and I'm afraid that it wont make a proper seal with the exhaust manifold.

3. The t3/t4 was not water cooled, only oil, and the WRX turbo is, so where can I tap into the cooling system to feed it?

4. I noticed that there might be some issues with pushing an intake through the 2.5L Intake manifold. Any good ideas how to re-route the intake?

5. I got a FMIC for the car and I know that I need to move the radiator overflow tank somewhere/get another one...any ideas?

Thanks.

Boki