Aftermarket Forced Induction - Turboed factory NA engines Turbo EJ25! Who said that all Subarus are created equal? Aftermarket turbochargers on factory normally-aspirated engines (factory turbo engines have their own forums).

can i turbo my 2005 rs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
can i turbo my 2005 rs?

im wondering if i can turbo my imnpreza 2.5 rs anyone have and turbo ideas let me know
Old 04-19-2007, 04:52 PM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza 2006
i m no turbo expert.....but as far as i know....yes, u can turbo ur car.....but is it GOOD to turbo ur car? NOPE
Our engines are high compression engine, which are not designed to handle to much boost...7 psi MAX....even so, its not completely save for ur car...
So why risk it for only 7 psi of boost?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:52 PM

Car Info: 2007 Impreza 2.5i
cause 7psi on a 10:1cr does make power :P (more then most N/A mods will generate and be cheaper then running higher cr pistons and other engine work)
Old 04-19-2007, 11:15 PM

Car Info: 2006 Evo IX SSL
just swap yo motor or throw in some low compression pistons :P blah blah money money money
Old 04-20-2007, 02:53 AM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza 2006
^^^ ya...if i were u...i would just swap motor....save n its not that much more expensive...plus u can run up to 300 or even 400 hp if u really want to....
But turbo charging a N/A engine that is not supposed to handle boost cant do that.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Car Info: 04 wrx sti 02 wrx wagon 08 outcack xt
You should just trade it for a wrx. Problem solved!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:28 AM

hmmm im not sure that's a good suggestion...he's already been making payments on his car and is more then likely at least half way done paying it off...not just that the N/A is cheaper on insurance...if he drives anything like me he's been out of warranty since his first year with it...

swap a motor and run the turbo which will cost him like $3k...esp if it's just the shortblock and you keep the SOHC heads (which is a good idea since the heads are $$$)

or buy a car he has to still pay for...14K+ not to mention the higher insurance...

no offense but those that state buying a WRX is cheaper are missing the point...it is cheaper to own an N/A and swap it later then to have started off with the turbo car to begin with (besides the rs and wrx really have nothing else different esp from 05+...)

Last edited by zavier; 04-20-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:44 AM

If u do the engine swap the warranty is gone, u will still have the rs suspension, u will need a new hood unless u get a fmic. You will also need a downpipe and most likely a new exhaust system. Lets not forget the reflash of the ecu. Its kind of like dumpin money into a V6 mustang, POINTLESS!! Get a 03-04 wrx, price difference is minimal and you have a car that is meant to be turbo!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:04 PM

now im not gonna claim anything...but i was under the impression the only real suspension difference that mattered between the RS and the WRX was it's springs...now that might be wrong but the new 2.5i and the WRX share a lot of the same stuff (granted smaller sways but...those are cheap)

also you are suggesting buying an older car then he already has. may be he doesn't like the bugeye? (i know i don't) also the scenario i laid out stated the warranty was gone already due to going past it's mileage...but whatever...

plus i would think having an RSt would be pretty slick. a lot of the stuff needed to turn that car into a WRX can be found on NASIOC or even here in the classifieds...many WRX owners who have upgraded their DP/UP and turbo would be willing to part with their old equipment. so again it would still be cheaper if you actually took the time to price things instead of being lazy and just swapping cars...

but since the OP has not responded to all this it is all speculation. but IMHO just coming out and saying the quick fix is a new car isn't enough...there is always 2 sides to every story
Old 04-20-2007, 01:28 PM

The dude will do what he needs to do. Good luck re-selling a rs turbo! Zavier might buy one, I sure would'nt!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:30 PM

....hmmm again you amaze me...i never once said i would do it nor did i say i would buy it...then again if it was a true motor swap...maybe because i hate to break it to you but there is nothing different between a 2.5rs and a WRX of that year besides the engine (and a few minor things that you would upgrade anyway if you had the WRX)

btw there are plenty of people out there that have turbo'd the RS or have a turbo motor (i.e. STi or WRX) in those cars so please...do not try and pretend it would be difficult to sell...cause i've seen plenty of them out there
Old 04-20-2007, 03:00 PM

zavier, you are overlooking quite a few things. Lets add this up shall we? I will be conservative.
new motor-$3000
exhaust- $500
re-flash- $500
motor mounts- $150
new hood- $800 or fmic $1000 (or you could cut your own hole)
springs-$200
labor-$$$
and whatever else you need that u won't know about until you do it. Also keep in mind that car has a vin#, im sure you know what that is. When you go to get your emmissions, you have to pass for that vin#. Your smog limits are required to be lower than a 2.5 turbo. YOU CANNOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS! And back to the resale of this vehicle, you will only be able to sell it for what an rs is worth. Anyone who has modded a car and sold it knows this. Being lazy has nothing to do with it! Making good decisions does. And having a turbo rs is not slick, role up with that and people will laugh and say "Why didnt you get a wrx?" I rest my case!
Old 04-20-2007, 03:37 PM

/sigh

i was taking the approach you would do most of the work on your own...a full motor is not required...just a shortblock and an STi short can be had for $1750-2000 (so im sure a WRX one would be cheaper) also you are right you would need a new exhaust...im used to the 06-07 which now uses the same exhaust as the WRX (same years)...as for the hood you can prolly find someone selling one or willing to trade (i've seen it done many a times...STi owner or WRX owner now has a FMIC and wants an RS/i hood) springs are not a big deal right a way...the car will be fine using the stock ones (and we have no clue if he doesn't already have an upgrade suspension which most WRX owners would have already upgraded anyway...so they wouldn't be on stock either)

so your estimate is equally inaccurate as my initial idea...you are right about the VIN but i hate to break it to you...plenty of people out there run catless and def would not pass emissions either, but they still do...because most people willing to take the steps to do something like this prolly already have a hookup...

im not trying to sound smart or even undermine what you have said, you are correct in a lot of it...getting a WRX IS EASIER! but i am also showing another option this man could take...that is all...

i feel that telling someone who asks a question as simple as "can i do this or that with what i already have" and just telling them to sell what they have and get something 'else' is not an acceptable response...nor is misleading them (ala what you could tech claim i am doing)

and for the resale i know...any modded car will only sell for the cars worth or less and now what it should be worth after money has been put into it. that i am not being naive about...

again you bring up a good point but please, keep in mind this person asked a simple question and prolly has his own motives for why he would want to do it to the car he has now and for all we know has already made up his mind...

now i am going to drop this because i have said all i can about this topic...if he needs more info there is plenty of info over at NASIOC
Old 04-20-2007, 03:45 PM

No worries! Everyone has their opinion.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:48 AM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru 2.5 RS
hi sorry i havent responded to any of your posts my internets has been down for a few days but i have been looking around and i have been looking at a few sites and i found this http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop...roducts_id=100

i need to know if this would fit

Quick Reply: can i turbo my 2005 rs?