WRX Passed Recon!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by keonigt
Boling, what suspension are you on?

So you can't even pass recon if you have stock or coils?
I'm sitting on Tanabe Coilovers.

You can pass recon on stock suspension, although recon is for suspension so you wouldn't even need recon. All that I'm saying is a stock Subaru wont pass a bounce test. So it's just pointless to me that pass or fail comes down to a test that will inevitably fail whether your stock or not. They just didn't think too much into it.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:01 PM

Car Info: 2006 subaru impreza non-turbo
i had the asian guy inspector he asked me to do the bounce test which i failed i have coilovers too the thing is the white guy inspector who checked the car in front of me and is lower than my car he only asked for the alignment print out, now i dunno how to make my suspension soft without compromising the height of the car do you guys know what's the limit from ground how do they measure it coz i measured mines from ground to headlight it was 23 1/2 info will be highly appreciated 2006 impreza
Old 05-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Car Info: 2012 Subaru WRX
I was able to pass the bounce test on fortune auto 500 coilovers 7k f/r. Just set them to the softest setting. I have sway bars on the car as well. The inspector with gray hair and gray mustache let me bounce the car by pushing down where the strut is. I guess it just depends on the inspector and amount of strength you have.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:38 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by butchik18
i had the asian guy inspector he asked me to do the bounce test which i failed i have coilovers too the thing is the white guy inspector who checked the car in front of me and is lower than my car he only asked for the alignment print out, now i dunno how to make my suspension soft without compromising the height of the car do you guys know what's the limit from ground how do they measure it coz i measured mines from ground to headlight it was 23 1/2 info will be highly appreciated 2006 impreza
In terms of regulated heights I'm not positive about the actual number. What I do know is that the bottom of your license plate must be 12 inches off the ground. They also measured my front and rear bumper clearence. They didn't say there was an issue, but they also didn't mention what height they were looking for. I think I read somewhere that you need atleast 6 inches of clearance, but im not positive because my sides are sitting at about 5 1/4 and they didn't say anything. About the softening of the springs...I wish I knew. I didn't have the bounce test so I didn't have to go through that crucible. You can try to restart the process and hope to get a luckier inspector, or I can help try and do some research how to soften it up enough. Or maybe just go back and do the bounce test yourself again. I don't think there's any rules stating how hard you can push so jump on the thing if you have to!

Good luck and let me know how it goes. I wish I could be more help.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:16 PM

Car Info: 2012 Subaru STi
Any input on difficulty of passing if I swap out with just RCE springs (yellow or black) instead of coilovers? Thanks!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:14 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by st3y3
Any input on difficulty of passing if I swap out with just RCE springs (yellow or black) instead of coilovers? Thanks!
for the yellow...just respray the springs black....then no need recon
as long as it aint slammed to the ground...a 1/2" to 1 inch drop wont catch most safety inspectors eyes unless they know subies.... however coil overs are dead giveaways on an aftermarket suspension....red flag needs recon!
colored springs...another dead giveaway

Last edited by houdni; 06-26-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Originally Posted by houdni
as long as it aint slammed to the ground...a 1/2" to 1 inch drop wont catch most safety inspectors eyes unless they know subies.... however coil overs are dead giveaways on an aftermarket suspension....red flag needs recon!
The yellow springs that I painted black almost worked on the 2011. Until they busted out the tape measure..
Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 PM

Car Info: 2012 Subaru STi
Originally Posted by houdni
Thanks for the tip I was only looking for like 1/2-1" max but I guess it's luck of the draw whether they will notice or not. I assumed with the whole new process and taking pics they would be able to tell if it was stock height.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:02 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by sigterm
The yellow springs that I painted black almost worked on the 2011. Until they busted out the tape measure..
just curious...how dramatic was the drop with the aftermarket springs?....