Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

For the guys with cams...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:56 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
For the guys with cams...

What are you running & whats your setup? Ive been thinking about maybe upgrading the stockers in my build. Nothing to big, I was looking into the Kelford 264's & GSC s1 cams, but they seem to have had a quality control issue lately. Just curious what everyone is running and if you have had problems or regret your choice. Thanks guys
Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
https://www.i-club.com/forums/garage...6-Brfatal.html

I went with GSC S2s, which I'm finding out were too aggressive for street use. I should have stuck with S1s.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
i-Club - Garage Portal

I went with GSC S2s, which I'm finding out were too aggressive for street use. I should have stuck with S1s.
Good to know. I think the S1's would be a good sizing for me spec wise. My concern is the recent chatter about their low duration/high lift cams failing on engine builds. How many miles have you put on since your cam install? Is it your DD?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:49 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
I too have heard of all of the reputable cam brands being unreliable and breaking. The only one I haven't heard of having issues, is Brian Crower Cams even though their cams run a much lower profile than stated. I.E. 272s are 264. However, they seem to be the most reliable 2nd to stock and gives a bit more power.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Brian Cower is the the one I hear the most about with issues (from poor fitment to cracking). I know of a shop who won't sell or install any of their products.

GSC seems to be the most consistently reliable, so that's what I went with. I haven't heard of their more recent issues.

Cosworth/Kelford had issues when they switched their manufacturing to China, but I don't know if those problems remain.

I will also bring up valvetrains. Whatever you do, stay away from BC and Supertech.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:36 PM

Brian Cower is the the one I hear the most about with issues (from poor fitment to cracking). I know of a shop who won't sell or install any of their products.

GSC seems to be the most consistently reliable, so that's what I went with. I haven't heard of their more recent issues.

Cosworth/Kelford had issues when they switched their manufacturing to China, but I don't know if those problems remain.

I will also bring up valvetrains. Whatever you do, stay away from BC and Supertech.
Are these recent BC failures or long from the past, just out of curiosity. Cause the only thing I hear nowadays is that they don't that much power.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 PM

Maxwell Power & EQ have both had issues with these cams as of lately. I heard a few guys mention the quality has changed recently so I started researching and ran across this thread on Nasioc. Anyone else have this issue with Kelford Cams? - NASIOC

Alot of pages, but some good info on the current problem some builders are having.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Double post.

Last edited by Brfatal; 01-15-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by strider327
Are these recent BC failures or long from the past, just out of curiosity. Cause the only thing I hear nowadays is that they don't that much power.
They are older issues but ones that that persisted for a very long time, which tells me something about the company's QC abilities. And yes, BCs are known to give you the **** poor idle you want and none of the power that goes with it.

Originally Posted by strider327
I too have heard of all of the reputable cam brands being unreliable and breaking. The only one I haven't heard of having issues, is Brian Crower Cams even though their cams run a much lower profile than stated. I.E. 272s are 264. However, they seem to be the most reliable 2nd to stock and gives a bit more power.
It's pretty telling that he told you to use stock.

NASIOC - View Single Post - Anyone else have this issue with Kelford Cams?

GSC's problems seem to be from within the last year or so. I hadn't heard it. Good to know. I honestly don't know who I would recommend then. Kelford (who makes Cosworth's) has had their issues for a few years now.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
i know they arent the biggest power gains...but maybe another option is to look @ some tomei cams... havent heard anyone with issues from those
Old 01-15-2014, 06:49 PM

They are older issues but ones that that persisted for a very long time, which tells me something about the company's QC abilities. And yes, BCs are known to give you the **** poor idle you want and none of the power that goes with it.

It's pretty telling that he told you to use stock.

NASIOC - View Single Post - Anyone else have this issue with Kelford Cams?

GSC's problems seem to be from within the last year or so. I hadn't heard it. Good to know. I honestly don't know who I would recommend then. Kelford (who makes Cosworth's) has had their issues for a few years now.
Just seems like in general quality control for a lot of stuff is going down. You never hear of OEM cams breaking or failing though! It is true!
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM

Yeh, I might just end up sticking with stock since I have a good thing going with it. Just was thinking about reaching for some more power. Im swapping in a EL header, a higher psi wastegate (since my current wont go about 22psi) and a better intercooler which should see some decent gains I think. Just was curious on cams. Im going to ping some engine builders and see what they are using lately.

The Tomei specs isnt really worth the trouble of pulling the engine for me right now.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:26 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by houdni
i know they arent the biggest power gains...but maybe another option is to look @ some tomei cams... havent heard anyone with issues from those
I came in to post this, but houdni beat me to it. Tomei is famous for their cams. One of the few companies who still makes their **** domestically. I plan on using a Tomei shortblock whenever my 06 Evo motor goes.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:48 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
I am running cosworth 272's on my hybrid. Honestly on my td-04 all they did was make it sound cool.

Now that I am on the dom 3 they have made a significant difference on the top end ability but I am exceeding my rpm range on my stock heads.

I have 40k miles on them with no issues.

My next motor will have non avcs 2.5 litre heads with lots of work over sized valves and heavier valve springs. It is the cams that are going to get this little baby to 8.5k redline.

With my v7 6 speed I am hoping to mitigate the shift into 5th on the strip for lower E.T.'s

If you are not planning on doing that kind of work my understanding is the stock cams work fine they are great for torque and there are many high hp builds running stock cams.