Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Built DD

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:15 AM

Built DD

How many of you guys are running built motors around 400-500 whp on 93 octane and daily driving the car with no issues?

I'm not gonna sit here and list every single mod on my car (like headers and intake and fuel rails) but here is the build...
2.5L sti block (new case halves), nitrated crank, acl/king bearing, manly htuff rods, je fsr pistons (pistons designed for hybrid). New lifters with custom 264 cams to keep the power curve more even. Rotated FP3076r with tial sport exhaust housing.

Anyone daily driving anything similar to this? Any issues? Not trying to blow all this money for nothing, maybe I need to get myself a beater for work
Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
LOL "400-500 whp with no issues".

You're funny. I like you.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
LOL "400-500 whp with no issues". You're funny. I like you.
what kind of issues are you talking about, like what's common. I don't mean any issues as is going and buying a brand new car and nothing happening, certain **** I'm okay with. The motor blowing up I'm not okay with. I know you or I or nobody can say whether it will or won't but really just seeing whose daily driving these cars and how it's been
Attached Thumbnails Built DD-image-359982159.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 07:17 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
I dd mine. 30 min to work and 30 min back each day.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ddavis
I dd mine. 30 min to work and 30 min back each day.
and you got a high hp built motor? How many miles you at on it?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 AM

Yeh, smaller turbo then your setup and Im not running aftermarket cams. Mod list is in my profile garage. Over 10k. Its been running like a champ.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by _booSTIn_
The motor blowing up I'm not okay with.
Then I'd probably lower your standards to something the stock motor can handle. Your goals are way too high to expect a reliable DD.

I have a setup similar to what you listed and the car spends more time in the shop than on the road, and it's not for lack of care and maintenance. And it's at the bottom of your power goal. Higher power cars break. All. The. Time.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Then I'd probably lower your standards to something the stock motor can handle. Your goals are way too high to expect a reliable DD. I have a setup similar to what you listed and the car spends more time in the shop than on the road, and it's not for lack of care and maintenance. And it's at the bottom of your power goal. Higher power cars break. All. The. Time.
so your saying you have motor issues all the time, like blowing up motors? What kind of issues do you have. Like I said certain issues I'm okay with
Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 AM

Then I'd probably lower your standards to something the stock motor can handle. Your goals are way too high to expect a reliable DD. I have a setup similar to what you listed and the car spends more time in the shop than on the road, and it's not for lack of care and maintenance. And it's at the bottom of your power goal. Higher power cars break. All. The. Time.
im not trying to ask the same question over and over again it's just I want what I want but wanna know what to expect. I understand **** is gonna break I just wanna know what's common for breaking
Old 01-05-2014, 09:28 AM

I think most of us that have been through alot of different engine builds will say keep money on the side for the unexpected. It goes back to the saying "gotta pay to play". My current build is going strong and I really haven't had any issues with it. I've had higher dd hp cars also without problems, but i've had others also not go so well. Its a gamble you take when dealing with high hp engines.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:35 AM

Yea "you gotta pay to play" is the whole reason I started this thread. The only thing I'm worried about is the motor and awd system. Its not like I'm gonna drive full boost everyday to and from work and all over
Old 01-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
seeing as you probably won't be able to put down 500 whp on your way to work, I don't see why it would stress your motor to drive it conservaticely on a daily basis. I'm sure brfatal will tell you he babies his car, but my suspicion is that most people with built motors drive them as such (that is the point after all).
My advice: don't beat your ish, and it'll treat you right.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 AM

Car Info: 06 WRX LTD 4eat
if your gonna DD it and you do not have a second car then its a 50/50 chance that your build will be solid or spend a lot of time in the shop. My car was fine till I upgraded to a fully built motor and gt30. It lasted 2 months and I wasn't pushing it hard at all. It sat for a year before I was able to fix everything. Even with all the fixing my car still spends time in the shop. But if you got another car then its less of an impact. from my expriance I would never mod a subaru past stage 2 again power wise. Also if you have a wrx remember the drive train was never ment to handle this type of power, so look into installing a drive train that can handle your power goals. Hope this helps
Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by subysteez
seeing as you probably won't be able to put down 500 whp on your way to work, I don't see why it would stress your motor to drive it conservaticely on a daily basis. I'm sure brfatal will tell you he babies his car, but my suspicion is that most people with built motors drive them as such (that is the point after all). My advice: don't beat your ish, and it'll treat you right.
.i mean I've had 305awhp/282wtq for a while now. I've grown out of hitting full boost all over the place. But more of a weekend warrior
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by wrxchase
if your gonna DD it and you do not have a second car then its a 50/50 chance that your build will be solid or spend a lot of time in the shop. My car was fine till I upgraded to a fully built motor and gt30. It lasted 2 months and I wasn't pushing it hard at all. It sat for a year before I was able to fix everything. Even with all the fixing my car still spends time in the shop. But if you got another car then its less of an impact. from my expriance I would never mod a subaru past stage 2 again power wise. Also if you have a wrx remember the drive train was never ment to handle this type of power, so look into installing a drive train that can handle your power goals. Hope this helps
well I did find a 94' black manual supra 2jzgte with a fresh built motor for 19k lol maybe il look into that

Quick Reply: Built DD