Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Questions on 19" fitment for my 04' WRX Wagon...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 07:09 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx wagon
Questions on 19" fitment for my 04' WRX Wagon...

I wanted to run a 19" X 8" on my WRX wagon, but in regards to tire fitment I was wondering what size you guys are running. I plan on lowering the car maybe 2" at most and am concerned with rubbing.

How does 235/35/19's sound?
Old 02-18-2005, 08:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
There's no way you'll fit 235's under your wagon, especially with a drop, unless you plan on doing some body work to make them fit under your fenders. Most people go with 215's, and have no problems, but I know a few have been successful with 225's (but they probably had to roll the fenders).
Old 02-18-2005, 09:57 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
19s would fit just fine on a Denali, but why would you put that on a wrx? They will rub like heck.

If it's a show car that doesn't need to be driven, that's another story.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:25 AM

i'm just looking to put a sick set of rims on that no one has yet and make my car a slick street car. i guess i just don't want to hear that the evo's have no problem fitting 19's and that i can't. are the fender wells of a 04 sedan or newer incredibly larger than those on my wagon? or is that not a factor here.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mickysticky
i'm just looking to put a sick set of rims on that no one has yet and make my car a slick street car. i guess i just don't want to hear that the evo's have no problem fitting 19's and that i can't. are the fender wells of a 04 sedan or newer incredibly larger than those on my wagon? or is that not a factor here.
One of the mechanics at Carlsen Subaru put 18s on his sedan, and hated them. The car will have way more road noise and vibrations, and if you have a wagon, you'll hit the body for sure. Unless you want to have some custom bodywork done, you are wasting your time. Of course, some people care only about how the car looks, and not how it rides.

This subject has been addressed time and time again, usually with someone putting 225-40-17s and they end up whining like little girls about rubbing. You can fit some fat meats on the sedan, but the wagon is a bit more limited.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
a wrx needs 19s like a fish needs a bicycle.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:39 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
I'm putting 225/17's on my wagon. I'm using '04 STI BBS rims because the offset will allow me to put 225's on w/ out rolling my fenders.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:39 PM

homer jay... what tires and size are you doing on those big 17's? it seems like people are afraid of 18's and just won't accept the thought of 19's on a wrx like its a sin. forums are supposed to be informative right? does anyone know the size difference in wheel wells from a 2004 sti and a 2004 wrx wagon? my buddy just fit 19" volks on his sti and they look small and run perfect.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:04 AM

Car Info: MY00RS25
I'm probably going w/ the Michelin Pilot sport PS2's or Bridgestone RE750's. It will depend on how much cash I'll have at the time I buy tires. I'm going w/ 17's simply because and bigger and the ride quality drops too much and the cost of the rubber is too much w/ out any gain in performance. If you're going simply for looks, I think you should do it.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:35 PM

homer jay... what tires and size are you doing on those big 17's? it seems like people are afraid of 18's and just won't accept the thought of 19's on a wrx like its a sin. forums are supposed to be informative right?
Forums also are a place where people who ask noob questions get flamed, particularly when a topic has been beaten to death over and over and over.
You are not committing a sin by putting 18s or 19s on a wrx wagon.... you'd simply be a moron.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:40 PM

just like how everyone puts the same lame-*** 17" wheels as every single other wrx owner in the flippin nation. dang... something to talk about. guess you, i and everyone is over this thread. peace out *****es.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
You asked for advice, and you got advice. Sure, you can fit 19s on a wagon...

wait for it...

... while it's still on jackstands.

This topic had been beaten to death. The reason that people use lame-*** 17" rims is because it's been proven again and again that:

1. 235s will not work on a wagon without some serious bodywork, I doubt the car will even roll, the tires will be rubbing on the struts/fenders so bad.

2. 19s won't fit for reasons said above

3. enough people have whined and complained after not taking our advice. You'll find that most subaru owners are more focused on performance than on the 'bling. If you want 19" boat anchors, go right ahead and slap 'em on. It's your car, do what you want. Just don't come back here and complain. Just because we didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, doesn't mean that we're wrong.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:02 PM

werd kidatari... at least you had the time to sum things up in a somewhat civil manner. its all good if its been beaten to death, i've searched everywhere i could to find people stating the rights and wrongs of 19's but found nothing. the guy that made the rims for me said to post and see whats the ish. were in the middle of putting a set of 18's together. but does anyone have #'s on the dimensions of an sti fender well versus a wagon well? thats it.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
werd kidatari... at least you had the time to sum things up in a somewhat civil manner. its all good if its been beaten to death, i've searched everywhere i could to find people stating the rights and wrongs of 19's but found nothing. the guy that made the rims for me said to post and see whats the ish. were in the middle of putting a set of 18's together. but does anyone have #'s on the dimensions of an sti fender well versus a wagon well? thats it.
The dimensions of a STI fender well versus a WRX Wagon wheel well are kind of a grey area. From what has been tried with 04/05 STIs, it appears that 235s/245s will work. The real issue is that the wagon's wheel wells are smaller than the WRX sedan, and moreso than the STI.

Keep in mind that nothing is ever impossibe. BOZZ managed to fit 255s on a GC8 RS with some serious suspension work, but it was a full race setup. It was also on 17" rims, as far as I know. The biggest issue was getting a perfect offset. Their issue was the width of the tire, and yours is not just the width, but the diameter of the rim too. Take a look under your wagon and notice the strut clearance and fenderwell clearance with the stock rim and tire. The clearances are pretty tight stock, and there isn't a huge amount of room for improvement.

I just don't want to see you do the same thing I did. I put 04 STI rims and rubber on my 2.5RS, and I battled relentlessly with rubbing. In the end, I had to sell the rims, because they just wouldn't fit with what I was trying to do with the car. It'd be a loss to see someone spend their hard-earned money on a set of nice rims and rubber, and end up having to deal with serious rubbing and interferance issue. And even if you do get them to fit, you might have to deal with the inability to adjust your alignment so that the tires wear correctly, which becomes an entirely different battle.

Don't mind the others, it's just a question that's been asked forever, and one that will continue to be asked, as long as people continue to modify cars. But like I said, nothing is impossible. You might be able to shoehorn a 19x8 rims with the correct tires on it into a WRX wheel well, but it'd be a whole helluva lot of work, and probably a lot cheaper to go with 18s (which are still an extremely tight fit, if you can get them to fit). It's just a lot less headache. Hope that helps.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:18 AM

ok, so this is where we stand. my friends 2004 sti is lowerd with the cute sti pink springs, whatever there stock lowering height is. he has the one set of 19x8 volks that fit the sti with toyo 235/35/19 rubber. seriously, they look small, but the car looks absolutely ****. he may lose a bit of horse power than if he had 18's, but there hasn't shown to be one single ounce of rubbage issues. god i wish there was an sti wagon... as lame as that may be.

Quick Reply: Questions on 19" fitment for my 04' WRX Wagon...