Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Out of round tires - advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 10:42 PM

Car Info: '02 Legacy GT - no mods
Unhappy Out of round tires - advice needed!

Recently bought some ContiExtremeContacts (not thru Tire Rack), and I'm having trouble with balancing, as I see a good number of others are with this tire.

I had them balanced twice where I bought them, still had a vibration, so I took them to another shop. They said two were out of round (not sure if they did force variation or not to find that out). They put those two on the back. I immediately went back to the shop I bought them at and told them what the other shop told me. They did a force variation and said "there is absolutely nothing wrong with the tires/wheels". After that, I got back out on the freeway and the vibration is basically gone, it could be all gone, I may still be too anxious about it.

Oh, and before the two "out of round" ones were put on the back I had a distinct pull to the right. The shop I bought them from who said they're not out of round, recommended I go to my dealership to have my front end checked out. Except now the pull is gone.

So long story long, can anyone answer a few questions? There are still less than 500 miles on the tires, should I let them work in a little more? Now that the vibration is all but gone, should I go get a third opinion on their "out of round"-ness? Finally, is an out of round tire dangerous?

Sorry for the long-windedness, I'm just having bad luck with my car lately. Appreciate any help anyone can give.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:43 PM

Oh, btw, the tires are otherwise great. I want to keep these tires. Respectable handling ('02 Legacy GT), and great wet traction.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:28 PM

bump

anyone?
Old 11-09-2003, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just go ahead and get a third opinion.