Wheel & Tire Everything about tires and wheels.

Any Tire Suggestion Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 10:55 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Any Tire Suggestion Please

I was wondering what type of tires would any of you recommend. I need a tire for a 17x7.5 wheel...and something that can sustain track conditions. So probably something with a little stiffer sidewall would be nice. The most popular ones I've seen are Azenis, S-03's, and AVS ES100's. The only bad part is that the S-03's are considerably more expensive than the other tires. So...are there any other tire choices that I'm forgetting and does anyone have any input into this. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:05 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Kumho MX's. As long as you season(heat cycle) them on the street for a couple hundred miles before you track them, they should be fine.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:22 AM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
s-03s since they are that much better than the others

stay away from the es100s, especially if you plan on tracking.

the falken azenis are great too, a lot less expensive, but they do suck in the rain and they can keep up on the track
Old 01-05-2004, 02:24 PM

I'm thinking between the Kumho MX and the Azenis. The S-03's are great...in rain and dry...but they are significantly more...and in California, it rains only a few months of the year.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:32 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon White
Check out the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Asymmetric and rock solid on traction. It broke my heart to have to put the snows on...
Old 01-05-2004, 08:12 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
Originally posted by Dexter@tirerack
Check out the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Asymmetric and rock solid on traction. It broke my heart to have to put the snows on...
At $166 a tire (225/45/17) for those, you may as well get the S03's.

Dexter,
How would you rate the wear on the PS2's?
Old 01-06-2004, 10:30 AM

After looking at the TireRack website and comparing tires, it looked like the Pirelli PZero Nero was on par at the very least with the S-03 and Pilot Sport. Does anyone know how these do first hand, and is there any difference between the WR and YR rating (WR is something like 168mph rating...car can't hit that speed anyways.) Thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:58 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
I was not impressed with the Michelin Pilots Sports. My girlfriend 03 tiburon came with these in 215 45 17 size. They were fine for daily driving, but tried to Autox with them a few times and the damn car just slid. No traction what so ever. We ended up trading her stock rims to my cousin for a set of 18" Konig Verdicts (look awesome) and put 225, 40 18 Falken Ziex 512's and they were better. This could be due to slightly wider tires or bigger rims, but I think it was the tires.

My 2 cents
Old 01-14-2004, 02:28 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally posted by wrx ish
[B]stay away from the es100s, especially if you plan on tracking.
B]
would you care to elaborate on this? i have s-03's on my ssr's and am actually looking at trying es100s next!

db
Old 01-14-2004, 02:43 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally posted by doughboy
would you care to elaborate on this? i have s-03's on my ssr's and am actually looking at trying es100s next!

db

you are going to be very disappointed going from s-03s to es100s

they are a much cheaper tire, they have a very small time when they grip well, the rest of the time they slide around. (this is stuff i have heard from multiple people who own them)

yokohama brought out the es100s to replace the intermediates and the intermediates were soooo much better.
Old 01-14-2004, 04:39 PM

Car Info: '08 GT3/'08 Cayenne Turbo/'02 WRX Sedan/'95 E36 M3
if u are in an area that doesn't rain much, i would recommend the mx's.. im' thinking of trying those out myself. as for so3's those are GREAT tires. i've had two sets and love 'em. great traction in wet and dry weather. the azenis perform well in dry, but if they hit a puddle, it's not so good...
so yeah
how are mpsc's in rain?
Old 01-14-2004, 07:12 PM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
If your gonna be doing any track racing ie: track days not Auto-X the Azenis get a little greasy & slick when they get really hot. The traction is still there but not as much when they really heat up.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:13 PM

ES100s

Hey doughboy,

I ran the Yokohama ES100s for one and a half seasons.

It's a great street tire. I can't comment on race abillity as that's not my thing. But, the tire grips in fast on-ramp/off-ramp situations, handles very well in the wet, and has a great treadlife. I have never lost traction in real world conditions. I must have been driving them in the "very small time when they grip well" . Lucky me!

As wrx ish explains...they are inexpensive given the other choices in this category. This may or may not be a factor for you.

Hope this helps.

yakker
Old 01-14-2004, 07:24 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Re: ES100s

Originally posted by yakker
Hey doughboy,

I ran the Yokohama ES100s for one and a half seasons.

It's a great street tire. I can't comment on race abillity as that's not my thing. But, the tire grips in fast on-ramp/off-ramp situations, handles very well in the wet, and has a great treadlife. I have never lost traction in real world conditions. I must have been driving them in the "very small time when they grip well" . Lucky me!

As wrx ish explains...they are inexpensive given the other choices in this category. This may or may not be a factor for you.

Hope this helps.

yakker
Yakker, you are correct that the Yokos are pretty good street tires. But WRX17 already ruled them out for his use with these comments in his first post:

Originally posted by Wrx17
...and something that can sustain track conditions. So probably something with a little stiffer sidewall would be nice.
That is similar to my tire needs. I am running S03s (my second set, these are 215/45ZR17 on Gram Lights after a set of 205/50R16 on stocks). I will continue to run S03s until I see a tire that is definitively better in the dry and wet as a street tire. It's kind of a toss-up between the Falken Azenis, Kumho MX, and S03s in the dry, but no contest in the wet and the wear is similar on all 3. I think it's worth the extra $100 a year to be safer in the wet on street tires. The S03s have wondefully stiff sidewalls as well, something that can't be said about the MX, though I am not sure how stiff the Azenis are. Also, I will be running a second set of wheels on the track this year, probably a second-tier R compound like Victoracers or RA1s, but the new Pirrelli club spec tire looks promising...

Quick Reply: Any Tire Suggestion Please