Notices
Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Thanks, [email protected]

Old 07-01-2008, 10:45 AM
  #1  
VIP Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
nachomc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Funtown
Posts: 25,095
Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer

A few weeks ago, I had my wife's car (01 2.5 RS) in to DB to get the head gaskets replaced. We also did the timing belt, water pump and associated stuff since we had the thing apart. Paul had the work done within a day or so and my wife and I came by to pick up the car when we returned from camping along the coast.

Later that day, a rod knock developed in the RS. We called Paul and his response was "Well, I may have made a mistake. Have it towed to me at my cost and we'll go from there." He didn't hem and haw, try to avoid fault or cast doubt on the cause even for a second. Unfortunately, it was late in the day on a Saturday, and the tow company Paul would normally use had no availability. He asked if we had AAA Premium, which we didn't, so Paul paid for the upgrade and had our car towed to him for free the following day (thanks again, now I can run my car out of gas and score some free fuel ).

Though I've known Paul for years, and he knows I'd trust him if he said the failure was just dumb luck, he took the time to prove to me and to himself what the cause of the rod knock was. We hadn't touched the bottom end, however the timing of the rod knock was suspect. Paul took the engine apart and took the internals to three different, very experienced Subaru and engine people. They sampled the oil, checked the parts, and the consensus among all three was "this is just awful, horrible, dumb luck on the part of the customer" (me).

Because we had the car apart the prior week, and had already paid the associated labor and parts costs, Paul made me a solid deal on the cost of repairs (he pretty much halved his labor cost and gave me very low markup on part cost, even though he wasn't responsible in any way for the failure). We had everything reworked under the hood, and now my car is rolling sweet.

I'm in to the new motor about 500 miles, it's not burning a drop of oil and it's running smoooooothhh.

As usual, Pauls integrity and workmanship is second to none. Thanks again.
nachomc is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 AM
  #2  
Churro Aficionado
iTrader: (38)
 
stupidchicken03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: IG - @thomas.teammoist
Posts: 54,297
Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by nachomc View Post
A few weeks ago, I had my wife's car (01 2.5 RS) in to DB to get the head gaskets replaced. We also did the timing belt, water pump and associated stuff since we had the thing apart. Paul had the work done within a day or so and my wife and I came by to pick up the car when we returned from camping along the coast.

Later that day, a rod knock developed in the RS. We called Paul and his response was "Well, I may have made a mistake. Have it towed to me at my cost and we'll go from there." He didn't hem and haw, try to avoid fault or cast doubt on the cause even for a second. Unfortunately, it was late in the day on a Saturday, and the tow company Paul would normally use had no availability. He asked if we had AAA Premium, which we didn't, so Paul paid for the upgrade and had our car towed to him for free the following day (thanks again, now I can run my car out of gas and score some free fuel ).

Though I've known Paul for years, and he knows I'd trust him if he said the failure was just dumb luck, he took the time to prove to me and to himself what the cause of the rod knock was. We hadn't touched the bottom end, however the timing of the rod knock was suspect. Paul took the engine apart and took the internals to three different, very experienced Subaru and engine people. They sampled the oil, checked the parts, and the consensus among all three was "this is just awful, horrible, dumb luck on the part of the customer" (me).

Because we had the car apart the prior week, and had already paid the associated labor and parts costs, Paul made me a solid deal on the cost of repairs (he pretty much halved his labor cost and gave me very low markup on part cost, even though he wasn't responsible in any way for the failure). We had everything reworked under the hood, and now my car is rolling sweet.

I'm in to the new motor about 500 miles, it's not burning a drop of oil and it's running smoooooothhh.

As usual, Pauls integrity and workmanship is second to none. Thanks again.
hahah he asked me the same thing yesterday!

on the other hand Pual is an amazing macanic and even better guy.
stupidchicken03 is offline  
Old 07-01-2008, 09:54 PM
  #3  
Registered User
iTrader: (10)
 
grewal06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sac. Yo mama'
Posts: 605
Car Info: 06' 280whp/300wtq pig nose and 05' porsche cayenne
paul's the best mechanic out there. helpful and honest two things hard to come by now days...i would also like to thank paul for all the helpful hints and great service he gives us....thanks bro.

Last edited by grewal06; 07-01-2008 at 09:58 PM.
grewal06 is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
  #4  
VIP Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
nachomc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Funtown
Posts: 25,095
Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Just hit 1000 miles today. Drove the car up to Reno over the weekend to get the mileage rockin'. Averaged 28mpg (354 miles and filled up with 12.6 gal today). Not too shabby. On the way home, I got to give the car a little goosin' and that thing scoots.

The car is running fantastic. Thanks again, Paul.
nachomc is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 10:22 AM
  #5  
Registered User
iTrader: (15)
 
wrxisthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Arnold, CA
Posts: 9,171
Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
sweetness
wrxisthebest is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM
  #6  
iClub Silver Vendor
iTrader: (25)
 
FW Motorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Participating in some Anarchy!
Posts: 15,494
Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by grewal06 View Post
paul's the best mechanic out there. helpful and honest two things hard to come by now days...i would also like to thank paul for all the helpful hints and great service he gives us....thanks bro.
Well, I'm not "the best" mechanic out here...hell, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Nachomc, I'm glad you are satisfied with the car.
FW Motorsports is offline  
Old 07-07-2008, 09:39 PM
  #7  
VIP Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
nachomc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Funtown
Posts: 25,095
Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Nachomc, I'm glad you are satisfied with the car.

Definitely. Thanks again
nachomc is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 AM
  #8  
VIP Member
iTrader: (2)
 
skimonkey30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ya, Ray Romano gets all the chicks.
Posts: 2,952
Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon MT
looking forward to my 30k
skimonkey30 is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 10:01 AM
  #9  
Token Toyota Mod
iTrader: (50)
 
soggynoodles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 52,306
Car Info: Something german
ooo I need to get my 60K
soggynoodles is offline  
Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 PM
  #10  
Registered User
iTrader: (10)
 
grewal06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sac. Yo mama'
Posts: 605
Car Info: 06' 280whp/300wtq pig nose and 05' porsche cayenne
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Well, I'm not "the best" mechanic out here...hell, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Nachomc, I'm glad you are satisfied with the car.


haha. y didn't you just ask paul i could get you a room at a hilton none the less. just hit me up when ever you need it for them important nights away from the shop. lol.
grewal06 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Egan
Sacramento & Reno
35
07-22-2006 05:44 PM
ryball
Sacramento & Reno
24
06-27-2006 12:11 PM
Grimm
Sacramento & Reno
16
06-15-2006 09:57 PM
PKSJ4
Sacramento & Reno
23
05-19-2006 03:09 AM
Max Xevious
Sacramento & Reno
14
01-25-2006 04:30 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thanks, [email protected]


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:18 AM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands