i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/)
-   -   Thanks, Paul@DBTuned (https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/thanks-paul%40dbtuned-187329/)

nachomc 07-01-2008 10:45 AM

Thanks, Paul@DBTuned

A few weeks ago, I had my wife's car (01 2.5 RS) in to DB to get the head gaskets replaced. We also did the timing belt, water pump and associated stuff since we had the thing apart. Paul had the work done within a day or so and my wife and I came by to pick up the car when we returned from camping along the coast.

Later that day, a rod knock developed in the RS. We called Paul and his response was "Well, I may have made a mistake. Have it towed to me at my cost and we'll go from there." He didn't hem and haw, try to avoid fault or cast doubt on the cause even for a second. Unfortunately, it was late in the day on a Saturday, and the tow company Paul would normally use had no availability. He asked if we had AAA Premium, which we didn't, so Paul paid for the upgrade and had our car towed to him for free the following day (thanks again, now I can run my car out of gas and score some free fuel :p).

Though I've known Paul for years, and he knows I'd trust him if he said the failure was just dumb luck, he took the time to prove to me and to himself what the cause of the rod knock was. We hadn't touched the bottom end, however the timing of the rod knock was suspect. Paul took the engine apart and took the internals to three different, very experienced Subaru and engine people. They sampled the oil, checked the parts, and the consensus among all three was "this is just awful, horrible, dumb luck on the part of the customer" (me).

Because we had the car apart the prior week, and had already paid the associated labor and parts costs, Paul made me a solid deal on the cost of repairs (he pretty much halved his labor cost and gave me very low markup on part cost, even though he wasn't responsible in any way for the failure). We had everything reworked under the hood, and now my car is rolling sweet.

I'm in to the new motor about 500 miles, it's not burning a drop of oil and it's running smoooooothhh.

As usual, Pauls integrity and workmanship is second to none. Thanks again.

stupidchicken03 07-01-2008 11:00 AM

[QUOTE=nachomc;2244998]A few weeks ago, I had my wife's car (01 2.5 RS) in to DB to get the head gaskets replaced. We also did the timing belt, water pump and associated stuff since we had the thing apart. Paul had the work done within a day or so and my wife and I came by to pick up the car when we returned from camping along the coast.

Later that day, a rod knock developed in the RS. We called Paul and his response was "Well, I may have made a mistake. Have it towed to me at my cost and we'll go from there." He didn't hem and haw, try to avoid fault or cast doubt on the cause even for a second. Unfortunately, it was late in the day on a Saturday, and the tow company Paul would normally use had no availability. [B]He asked if we had AAA Premium[/B], which we didn't, so Paul paid for the upgrade and had our car towed to him for free the following day (thanks again, now I can run my car out of gas and score some free fuel :p).

Though I've known Paul for years, and he knows I'd trust him if he said the failure was just dumb luck, he took the time to prove to me and to himself what the cause of the rod knock was. We hadn't touched the bottom end, however the timing of the rod knock was suspect. Paul took the engine apart and took the internals to three different, very experienced Subaru and engine people. They sampled the oil, checked the parts, and the consensus among all three was "this is just awful, horrible, dumb luck on the part of the customer" (me).

Because we had the car apart the prior week, and had already paid the associated labor and parts costs, Paul made me a solid deal on the cost of repairs (he pretty much halved his labor cost and gave me very low markup on part cost, even though he wasn't responsible in any way for the failure). We had everything reworked under the hood, and now my car is rolling sweet.

I'm in to the new motor about 500 miles, it's not burning a drop of oil and it's running smoooooothhh.

As usual, Pauls integrity and workmanship is second to none. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

hahah he asked me the same thing yesterday!

on the other hand Pual is an amazing macanic and even better guy.

grewal06 07-01-2008 09:54 PM

paul's the best mechanic out there. helpful and honest two things hard to come by now days...i would also like to thank paul for all the helpful hints and great service he gives us....thanks bro.: banana :

nachomc 07-07-2008 10:12 AM

Just hit 1000 miles today. Drove the car up to Reno over the weekend to get the mileage rockin'. Averaged 28mpg (354 miles and filled up with 12.6 gal today). Not too shabby. On the way home, I got to give the car a little goosin' and that thing scoots.

The car is running fantastic. Thanks again, Paul.

wrxisthebest 07-07-2008 10:22 AM

sweetness

FW Motorsports 07-07-2008 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=grewal06;2245711]paul's the best mechanic out there. helpful and honest two things hard to come by now days...i would also like to thank paul for all the helpful hints and great service he gives us....thanks bro.: banana :[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not "the best" mechanic out here...hell, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express.:o

Nachomc, I'm glad you are satisfied with the car.

nachomc 07-07-2008 09:39 PM

[QUOTE=Paul@dbtuned;2250096]Nachomc, I'm glad you are satisfied with the car.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. Thanks again :D

skimonkey30 07-10-2008 09:41 AM

looking forward to my 30k :D

soggynoodles 07-10-2008 10:01 AM

ooo I need to get my 60K

grewal06 07-10-2008 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=Paul@dbtuned;2250096]Well, I'm not "the best" mechanic out here...hell, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express.:o

Nachomc, I'm glad you are satisfied with the car.[/QUOTE]

haha. y didn't you just ask paul i could get you a room at a hilton none the less. just hit me up when ever you need it for them important nights away from the shop. lol. :evil: