Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Swift Spec R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:26 AM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Swift Spec R Springs

Recently installed Swift Spec R Springs on my 06 STI. It took a few days for the springs to settle in right, and as of today, it's been in for a week.

I was having a spirited mountain run recently, and the "jigglyness" of the stock STI springs (in corners with bumps) finally sent me over my mental edge so I sprung for the Swift Springs.

After riding in a friend's STI with the regular Swift Sport springs, I saw how much more comfortable those were. His car felt well damped and soaked up the bumps with ease. I know the Spec R springs had a slightly higher spring rate, were not progressive, but MPJ Performance cut me a slight discount for a write up (and they wanted me to post my honest opinion, good or bad).

Daily Driving duties: Much less jiggly. Bumps are still bumps, even the little ones, but they don't make my my head bounce anymore. Even my wife noticed the difference...she said her neck doesn't get tired from riding in my car anymore (bouncing her head around). Ruts and potholes aren't as much of a shock when I run in to them...all around more comfortable.

Spirited Driving: Finally took it on my mountain road course again, and WOW, it's like night and day. My buddy who rides along with me noticed turns where I normally did 35, I now can do 45. In hard turns, the car feels much more communicative and predictable which gives me greater confidence in my car and what she'll do. Again, bumps and potholes don't upset the car as much.

Cliff Notes/Overall Grade: A-, I'm sooooooo glad I did this--why didn't I do it sooner???
Visually: Front is visually lower than stock, but still a noticeable gap (about 3 fingers).
Rear is much lower, barely more than 1 finger gap.
Pros: Cars feels much more composed, and less jiggly. Honestly, these feel like springs the STI should have come with from the factory. Allows much more confidence in the car. The car is very predictable during the turns, possible due to the set spring rate.
Cons: If you really wanted a smooth ride, consider going with the regular Sport Springs, or an alternative brand (Prodrive maybe?). Over choppy road surfaces, the lack of a Progressive Spring rate gets annoying and gives my neck a workout.

Thanks again to Rob and Calvin over at MPJ!
*(also posted over at NASIOC)
Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 PM

Here are some pics...

Alright...hope I did this right. If there's a demand for a daytime, farther away shot, lemme know. Otherwise, here's outside my house at night...

My official "finger" measurements, front is just more than 3 of my little Asian hands (I'm 5'4"), while the back is about 1 1/2 fingers. This is comparing to the stock STI rims and stock tires.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:40 AM

More pics, during the day: