Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

+1 for Ed of EQ Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 04:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
+1 for Ed of EQ Tuning

Hey guys, just thought I'd give props to Ed for this fantastic tune. This is my early Christmas present to myself, and Ed was nice enough to tune me on the 24th of December. If you have any doubts about road tuning, I suggest you check out these numbers I made on my 04 STi.

Mods:
Crucial Racing Down Pipe
Crucial Racing High Flow Cat
Crucial Racing Prototype Cat Back Exhaust
GP Moto Intake Elbow (this almost does nothing, it's just a silencer delete)

Car has 32,400 miles, everything else is completely stock.

Ed's tune definitely made a difference versus the Cobb OTS. The Cobb OTS is an okay map but the power delivery simply wasn't there. It didn't feel smooth in the rpm band going from 3k to redline. I had Ed send me his OTS map because of it (Thanks Ed, haha). Ed's OTS ran much better than the Cobb OTS, but it still wasn't perfect to my liking since all OTS maps are estimated tunes based upon mods.

I had always heard about Ed's road tuning but I never knew what was really involved in it. I also heard a lot about other tuners in the area that are great, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to do a dyno tune or a road tune yet. I finally decided I would road tune since it's real world situations for the car. It's a little bit more - but honestly, I think it's worth it for many reasons. When I met up with Ed, I wasn't sure what was going to happen when we started tuning. Ed was actually really patient and really helpful about things were going to go. We finally started tuning and it went by a lot faster than I had imagined.

The tuning itself was quite the experience. We did a lot of 4th gear pulls and a few 3rd gear pulls, and also a few 1st through 4th gear pulls. At first I was really scared to do it, since I usually don't drive this fast (haha), but I started to get used to it. In the 4th gear pulls, each one got smoother and smoother. Finally, we did the 1st through 4th gear pull for the first time and I was shocked. The car used to be, "holy crap that was fast" to "holy isht... my car is cuffing AWESOME!"

There are lot of pros to this tune that I really didn't think about until Ed had brought it up. At WOT, the car is actually quieter - probably due to the smoothing out of all the power. My EGT peaks have gone down significantly (on my Defi's they used to read 900 or so and now are at a low 800). My car boosts less, but makes more power! (I don't know how this works, I'm not a mechanic and don't know the science of these "magics").

Overall, the car feels amazing and is a different car after the tune. I fell in love with my car again after this experience. I honestly believed my car would make poopy numbers but Ed told me (correct me if I quoted you wrong Ed, but my memory is a little off from all the excitement) that most cars that feel fast because the power just comes on out of no where aren't necessarily fast - and that most of the really fast cars don't necessarily feel really fast - I think this is the case with my car since the power delivery is smooth all the way through - except in first, where it almost feels useless since the power comes on really fast and I have to be ready to shift! On my drive home, I even tested it out a bit - putting throttle on from 6th going to 5th, the power was instantly there and it just picked up.

Haha, well, enough with me being excited about the tune, check out the charts at the bottom. MO POWAH!

This next image is an overlay of Ed's off the shelf map for stage 2, and it makes plenty of power over stock. I would guess my stock numbers were anywhere from 210-225 AWHP.

Thanks again Ed! :RockOn - not mine: :RockOn - not mine: :RockOn - not mine:

Last edited by Onizuka; 12-25-2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: 4 AM when I wrote this, forgot to put things down. That and I was too excited that I couldn't think, lol.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
awesome numbers!
Old 12-25-2007, 09:04 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
congrats dude.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:35 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
great numbers, enjoy your new found power!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Thumbs up

Those are some solid numbers man!
Old 12-25-2007, 01:30 PM
VIP Member

Updated, sorry, lol, I was too excited during the whole day and it was 4 AM when I wrote it initially, so I forgot a lot of the things I wanted to say.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:07 PM

Car Info: 413whp/461wtq
great numbers Charlie!
Old 12-25-2007, 06:31 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Nice job man, sounds like fun! What does your boost curve look like? Any trouble holding boost >5000 RPMs?
Old 12-26-2007, 03:33 PM

Awesome results, I felt the same way after he tuned my car.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:33 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by DeadSTick
Nice job man, sounds like fun! What does your boost curve look like? Any trouble holding boost >5000 RPMs?
The boost on this car hits 19.5psi peak and tapers off to about 13.5psi by redline. The a/f is 10.5-10.6 under full load. This particular car took a good deal of ignition advance and made great power for the mods. It also felt particularly smooth and consistent. Seems like a nice strong engine .

Thanks for writing the nice review Charlie!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
The boost on this car hits 19.5psi peak and tapers off to about 13.5psi by redline. The a/f is 10.5-10.6 under full load. This particular car took a good deal of ignition advance and made great power for the mods. It also felt particularly smooth and consistent. Seems like a nice strong engine .

Thanks for the info Ed. Sounds like a fun, safe car!
Old 12-28-2007, 01:22 PM

Car Info: Big Thanks Jeremy@CrucialRacing and Ed@EQ-Tuning
congrats charlie for the new found power.
props to ed for another badass tune.

i told you charlie, get road tune. and you wont regret it hahaha.
haha ROAD TUNE FTW..

- seam
Old 01-08-2008, 09:20 AM
VIP Member

I was going to update this earlier but I was pretty busy with work - I finally got to drive my car again on Friday night of last week. All I can say is: it's amazing. Barely in the throttle and there is just power everywhere. Getting on the highway is now my favorite part of driving, hahaha.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
glad you're enjoying it Charlie
Old 02-12-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning

Your the man dude

-Sunny

Quick Reply: +1 for Ed of EQ Tuning