Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Spt Intake

Old 06-10-2006, 11:19 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Spt Intake

I purchased this from subarugenuniparts.com for $165 + shipping. SPT heat shield not included. I am going to have to purchase one $70. I installed it this morning. I was in the market for a new intake. I installed my TD06-20g and felt that the stock intake was posing a restriction on the compressor. Spool was slow and the MAF was only reaching 4.5vdc.
Anyway, the install is pretty simple. Remove you stock air box and intake flex section up to the inlet pipe. Fit up the silicone hose and T bolt clamps, attach the supplied bracket to the cast SPT intake, install the bracket bushing, fit the cast intake pipe to the silicone hose attached to the inlet pipe, tighten the T-bolt clamps, tighten the bracket, install the guts of the MAF, install the filter. Viola!! Done. Pretty easy.
Initial reaction, looks nice, I feel good about the CARB sticker that is included, great fit and easy install. I reset the ECU, started it up. There is no increase in noise at idle. After warming up, I took it for a drive. Very small throttle inputs produce a ticking noise. I'm guessing a throttle plate flutter or something. Part throttle cruising there seems to be little difference in noise. Under hard acceleration it makes lots of noise, BOV can be heard quite well.
As for performance, the turbo with out a doubt spools way quicker!!! It spiked quite high to 21.8lbs as well. We were running 19lbs before. It does seem that the stock intake was imposing a serious restriction of the turbo. EGT temp seems to have dropped and my power isn't there, it seems to have richened up my map considereably. I really need a retune, it does seem that a few things have changed. I will post up dyno results compared to my last tune soon.
On to the pics:
Attached Thumbnails Spt Intake-dsc00051ps.jpg   Spt Intake-dsc00053ps.jpg   Spt Intake-dsc00055ps.jpg   Spt Intake-dsc00056ps.jpg  
Old 06-10-2006, 11:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
That's a really nice looking kit.
Makes for a very professional look.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:06 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Thumbs up Why the snorkel?

It's not doing you any good ~ hot air in hood will be the same without it... toss it into the pile with the other goodies in the corner of the garage!

Sharp piece though. Even though Subaru couldn't find any HP gains with it ~ if your going to buy one, it might as well a Suby part with a A.A.R.B. sticker, eh?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Snorkle is gone. I plan to get the heat shield. the duct should should help direct cool air there once the heat shield is in place... I hope. I was thinking CARB cert, suby part as well. I'm not looking for the HP gains, I was looking to lift some of the restriction with the stock air box. I'm think it did. Retune is scheduled for this Sun. We'll see if it helps me out or not.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:25 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Snorkle is gone. I plan to get the heat shield. the duct should should help direct cool air there once the heat shield is in place... I hope. I was thinking CARB cert, suby part as well. I'm not looking for the HP gains, I was looking to lift some of the restriction with the stock air box. I'm think it did. Retune is scheduled for this Sun. We'll see if it helps me out or not.
Good job ~ I am in an N/A or I would do the same. Plus I get the SPT parts for 10% over cost. I sell the Subys! BTW-I bought the exhaust from SPT (built by Bosal) and the thing is as quiet as stock and still helps me rev faster and gain some running from 3500 rpm to red line!
Old 06-17-2006, 02:42 AM

Car Info: 08 Evo 10 MR
does it make the engine run lean?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
looks good
Old 07-26-2006, 09:19 AM

Car Info: 2005 impreza rs
Will this fit on an 05 RS? I think it looks really sharp, I like having a genuine Subaru part.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 AM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
Im hoping to order one of these when I go stage 2 and get a protune. Yay for the sound, the look, and the future uses w/ bigger turbos .
Old 08-10-2006, 12:21 PM

Another advantage of this part over other intakes in addition to the CARB sticker is that it does not affect the factory car warranty.

Can you post a followup regarding the retune and shield install? What are your impressions and would you do it again? I don't need the noise. If the filter is reusable it should pay for itself after 8 filter changes.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:30 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Question

Hmmmm I'm wondering if you were to cut the snorkel say 2 inches behind where it bolts to the radiator supports so that you still had the mouth of the snorkel and taking the rest of the pipe out letting cool air into the engine bay while plugging the fender hole if you would get any benefits? Did that make any sense??
Old 08-11-2006, 07:29 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by Jakes02
Hmmmm I'm wondering if you were to cut the snorkel say 2 inches behind where it bolts to the radiator supports so that you still had the mouth of the snorkel and taking the rest of the pipe out letting cool air into the engine bay while plugging the fender hole if you would get any benefits? Did that make any sense??
I know what you mean I agree, sounds logical to have a streamline of fresh air coming in right to the intake.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:18 AM

Car Info: 2011 SWP STI

So what happend? I read you gained 30hp.

Post some before/after numbers or graphs. I need something to read at night!
Old 08-30-2006, 04:17 PM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
I can almost bet that the 30hp increase that you may have heard about did NOT come from that intake alone...
Old 08-30-2006, 04:24 PM

Car Info: 2011 SWP STI
I know, it's hard to believe but that's what he posted.

So, let's see some proof!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spt Intake