Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

noob review of EQ Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX, tuned by Ed@EQ
noob review of EQ Tuning

Over the years in i-club, I've met a few of you and have worked with some of my local shops. I don't normally post up about subi-related topics, but today I feel compelled to share my story of an experience I had last week with EQ Tuning.

To grasp the full reason why I'm sharing this, I must provide a bit of context. You should consider me, as the title states, still a noob when it comes to the WRX. I read about it every day, and love what the car offers. I'm incredibly green when it comes to modding, and even when I do, I stay way conservative. Like everyone else, I'm a busy busy person. Between working a demanding career, applying to graduate school, and all the other things in life that come up, I rarely make or have time for my car.

For this reason alone, I've been reluctant to venture into a shop for a tune. I really enjoy being in this club, but at times, with all the super-modded Subi's out there putting out crazy numbers and such, it can be intimidating to a guy who just enjoys his cat-back and typhoon intake while mobbing around the autox course a few times a year. This is not a negative against i-club; just a point that I realized when contemplating a tune for my WRX.

I decided that the WRX needed a tune as it has significantly slowed down/become less responsive over the past few years. Freaked out by getting an AP or spending thousands on future repairs, I did some research and found that Ed's new flash tune might be a good path for me.

Just like with everything else that touches my WRX, I researched the hell out of Ed and the software that he created. I read every review on all the boards; the very good, the bad, and everthing in between. I went from convincing myself out of it to really getting pumped for what the tune could do to my car. My feelings about it ran the full gamut, espically being such a noob about this stuff.

After some time, I finally pulled the trigger and scheduled time with Ed. My initial nerves were immediately put to rest when I got to the shop. Chris greeted me and got to know who I was, where I came from, etc, all while wrenching on various subis. All the questions that I had built up came out easily, and an experienced answer was returned for each one. Before I knew it, my new plugs were going in, the MBC was installed and Ed was running diagnostics on my WRX.

In the course of 5 minutes, two major boost leaks were found. The guys started poking around only to find that both clamps to my IC hoses were slipping off. This was odd since I've never removed the TMIC, but they immediately fixed it and kept checking for more. They found a few more, made all the appropriate hose changes, and we were off. These changes alone were noticeable...and worth all the energy it took to make it into a shop.

I spend a few hours enjoying all that my WRX has to offer while Ed played around on his laptop. He really kept me in the loop as to what exactly he was doing, and how it would change the drivability of my car. We had pleasant conversation the entire time, and he really made the effort to understand who I was, how I drive, and my overall hopes for the tune. Each question, including the dumb ones, were answered on point. It was clear to me that Ed knew what he was talking about, and had a love for his daily job. I'm already envious that he can spend his entire day at work doing something he loves; and the results of the tune show it.

The result: My WRX drives like a completely different car. It's throttle responsiveness has increased dramatically, the turbo spools like there are a few extra cracked-out hamsters under the hood, and the band of boost is sooo consistent. I never knew my WRX could have this much torque, so driving the twisties is a bit different now. The "turbo lurch" that I had before is gone, and pulling through the gears now makes me giggle like a little school boy. The engine just feels healthier; even better than what I remember the first time I drove it off the lot.

Results of the tune:
Name:  91Tuned.png
Views: 37
Size:  116.3 KB
This tune was on 91 octane with a Borla Hush CBE and K&N Typhoon Intake.

I wanted to share this experience with the group as I'm sure there are others with the same thoughts or fears about tuning. I've had great experiences at the other shops closer to me, but for this being my first experience with EQ Tuning, I couldn't be happier.

With all that said, thank you to Ed and his guys at EQ Tuning. The level of customer service I received is so beyond par that I can't even explain it. Getting to know you guys and the product I received made for an awesome day. I am literally chomping at the bit to get my WRX out on the autox track to see what she can do now.

Cliff Notes:
I'm a noob, Ed's flash tune is awesome for said nood in the world of tuning, and the customer service I received was incredible/worth my time.

Cheers - and thank you for reading,
Porter

Name:  april27subi.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  49.7 KB
Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
that is very close to my experience.. minus the boost leak. My turbo inlet was pretty narly but it was holding boost. I posted a brief review a couple weeks ago. I'm having major work done with EQ right now. Much respect for good business practices.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Car Info: 02 bugeye with tune by Ed
glad to hear you enjoyed the tune! I recently got tuned by Ed as well and love the new power. Don't feel intimidated that there a lot of subis on here with crazy numbers. I'm just like you, modded conservatively and got a tune and spend once a month mobbing it around at auto x.

Btw, I love the avatar! lol
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Da Brit.

for the record... mind sharing more specs on your car?.. Other than intake and catback. Any other mods? how many miles? Major work done? I'm trying to relate your car to your road tune numbers.
-J
Old 06-04-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by johndabrit
that is very close to my experience.. minus the boost leak. My turbo inlet was pretty narly but it was holding boost. I posted a brief review a couple weeks ago. I'm having major work done with EQ right now. Much respect for good business practices.
I couldn't agree more. The post on your review thread sums it all up: Ed got a customer for life.

Was your WRX there last thursday? One of the many silver ones?

Originally Posted by stealthrex68
glad to hear you enjoyed the tune! I recently got tuned by Ed as well and love the new power. Don't feel intimidated that there a lot of subis on here with crazy numbers. I'm just like you, modded conservatively and got a tune and spend once a month mobbing it around at auto x.

Btw, I love the avatar! lol
Love it! Good to know I'm not the only one. And yah, the avatar is hilarious. I don't know where it came from but that use to be a catch phrase with the guys I grew up with.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:06 AM

for the record... mind sharing more specs on your car?.. Other than intake and catback. Any other mods? how many miles? Major work done? I'm trying to relate your car to your road tune numbers.
-J
Nope just intake and a catback! The plugs were replaced right before the tune as well. Ed had a hard time tuning the stock UP and DOWN since he normally has hi-flow in there.

Other than that, the engine has 86,xxx on the engine and this was the first tune it has ever seen. I'm riding on some crappy S-Techs that will be off soon.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Da Brit.

Originally Posted by porTURBOer
I couldn't agree more. The post on your review thread sums it all up: Ed got a customer for life.

Yeah I'm a silver bug eye on rota torque's with tint. Getting a 2.5 swap, going vf39, pinks, sti tmic. new mounts, new clutch, flywheel.. Check out my garage for (outdated) pictures of the ride.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Yeah I'm a silver bug eye on rota torque's with tint. Getting a 2.5 swap, going vf39, pinks, sti tmic. new mounts, new clutch, flywheel.. Check out my garage for (outdated) pictures of the ride.
Ah nice! Yah I saw it there. Good luck with that project, man that thing will be jammin' after that swap!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
194.6 whp with a stock UP&DP. That's some impressive numbers.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Da Brit.

Originally Posted by glenspen
exactly what i was thinking. I do however also think there would be substantial gains with up and downpipe. Either gutted or catless. Spool time would be decreased a bit also. The down pipe is an easy swap but the up pipe is way more of a beeeeeyaaayiitch

-J
Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Thanks for the great write-up! We alway strive to make our customers feel welcome and comfortable and of course we always try to provide the best quality services possible. Its really great to see this kind of support from the community! We owe all our success to all of you!

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by glenspen
Yup, that's what I'm saying. It took him a while to find the best mix, and by our agreement, this tune is more conservative than agressive.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Da Brit.

Yup, that's what I'm saying. It took him a while to find the best mix, and by our agreement, this tune is more conservative than agressive.
You mention something very important. There definitely is an agreement which takes place based on your overall goal Vs. the condition of the car. This wouldnt happen if Ed didn't communicate efficiently. When i got tuned the "agreement" was...
Ed, make my car run more efficiently, improve on the XPT off the shelf map performance, but put way more focus on the longevity of my motor rather than HP/Torque."

We did away with the off the shelf, started with Ed's base map which he has put tons of work into and worked from there. I was second place for the most miles he had ever tuned. My butt dyno felt the difference immediately. The car idled much smoother. Pedal response was shortened. I got more than what i paid for which is why I'm doing a ton of work with him right now. Hopefully pics will be up soon on his engine swaps galore post so you can see what yet another 2.5 swap looks like.
Happy tuning.
-J
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 PM

Car Info: '04 PSM Sti
It was good to meet you Chris, and thanks for the nice write-up! Enjoy the tune.

-Chris
________
vapir oxygen vaporizer

Last edited by crfsti; 04-24-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 PM

Car Info: 02 bugeye with tune by Ed

Love it! Good to know I'm not the only one. And yah, the avatar is hilarious. I don't know where it came from but that use to be a catch phrase with the guys I grew up with.

While I'm not on i-club I'm over on bodybuilding.com checkin out the MISC. thread and all the funny posts it has to offer. That picture was on one of the threads.

Quick Reply: noob review of EQ Tuning