Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

noob review of EQ Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:36 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Good numbers and great tune! Pretty amazing power with all the cats.... but why did you keep the stock uppipe? Not trying to scare you but that uppipe cat can get very hot and crumble into your turbo (even at stock power levels). Its not common but it has happened to people on this board. Plus, a catless pipe would add quicker response, a few extra ponies and the car would still pass smog tests since you're keeping the stock turboback. Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up
Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX, tuned by Ed@EQ
Originally Posted by johndabrit
You mention something very important. There definitely is an agreement which takes place based on your overall goal Vs. the condition of the car. This wouldnt happen if Ed didn't communicate efficiently. When i got tuned the "agreement" was...
Ed, make my car run more efficiently, improve on the XPT off the shelf map performance, but put way more focus on the longevity of my motor rather than HP/Torque."

We did away with the off the shelf, started with Ed's base map which he has put tons of work into and worked from there. I was second place for the most miles he had ever tuned. My butt dyno felt the difference immediately. The car idled much smoother. Pedal response was shortened. I got more than what i paid for which is why I'm doing a ton of work with him right now. Hopefully pics will be up soon on his engine swaps galore post so you can see what yet another 2.5 swap looks like.
Happy tuning.
-J
I couldn't agree more. My butt dyno was off the charts, all while I was feeling safe knowing that the tune was doing GOOD things for the motor, not bad.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by crfsti
It was good to meet you Chris, and thanks for the nice write-up! Enjoy the tune.

-Chris
Likewise buddy, thanks for all your help.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Good numbers and great tune! Pretty amazing power with all the cats.... but why did you keep the stock uppipe? Not trying to scare you but that uppipe cat can get very hot and crumble into your turbo (even at stock power levels). Its not common but it has happened to people on this board. Plus, a catless pipe would add quicker response, a few extra ponies and the car would still pass smog tests since you're keeping the stock turboback. Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up
Yeah, I've heard/read about that, and Ed brought that up during the tune. The up and down will be the next swaps since the stock seem to be such a problem. Thanks for looking out!
Old 06-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
up-pipe priority over down pipe before a tune.

Originally Posted by porTURBOer
Yeah, I've heard/read about that, and Ed brought that up during the tune. The up and down will be the next swaps since the stock seem to be such a problem. Thanks for looking out!
imo.. take care of both at the same time and use new gaskets reassembling. They are cheap and stocked at most shops. I was able to pick up all needed gaskets from GST the same day I needed them. The up-pipe is more of a concern than the down pipe because not only can the cat crumble and head straight for the turbo but due to the heat generated by the removal of the cat, the sensor in the up pipe can snap off and do the same. You can snap off the sensor at the base yourself during an up-pipe swap and either insert a diode in the sensor cable or deactivate that sensor during a tune. Metal = the worst possible thing to introduce to a turbine. For cost efficiency you can gut the cat out of your existing up-pipe. It's not the easiest thing to do but is worth it in shortened turbo spool time.

you need any advice? just ask. you're only task is sifting through the good advice vs. the bad

listen to your butt dyno..

Last edited by johndabrit; 06-07-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by porTURBOer
Yup, that's what I'm saying. It took him a while to find the best mix, and by our agreement, this tune is more conservative than agressive.
Sounds like you have a freakishly strong motor.

I wonder what power it would make on a mustang dyno? They tend to read really low.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 AM

Car Info: 07 STi EQ tuned / 08 LEGACY
very nice man i got my 07 sti tuned by Ed and it has 270awhp, and 295 awtrq, also remember the numbers are from the laptop, so you need to add about a 20% gain to the numbers, for a more accurate reading!!!!so you should be around 230ish
Old 06-08-2009, 10:08 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by subybullet
very nice man i got my 07 sti tuned by Ed and it has 270awhp, and 295 awtrq, also remember the numbers are from the laptop, so you need to add about a 20% gain to the numbers, for a more accurate reading!!!!so you should be around 230ish
That doesn't make the numbers any more or less accurate... it just makes them more relateable to the higher reading dynos.

At the end of the day, numbers mean almost nothing. The important part is the overall feel of the car and its actual real world performance.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
That doesn't make the numbers any more or less accurate... it just makes them more relateable to the higher reading dynos.

At the end of the day, numbers mean almost nothing. The important part is the overall feel of the car and its actual real world performance.

Thanks
-- Ed
Horsepower figures aren't subjective and is a physical measurement. Higher reading dynos and dyno software are just there to inflate egos and are innacurate.

Surely a dyno reads the correct power figures or else it is innacurate?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:37 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by glenspen
Horsepower figures aren't subjective and is a physical measurement. Higher reading dynos and dyno software are just there to inflate egos and are innacurate.

Surely a dyno reads the correct power figures or else it is innacurate?
Every single brand of dyno out there will read either slightly or significantly different from any other brand. So who is to decide which dynos are more accurate than others? Simply the ones that read the lowest? What if there's a dyno that reads a stock STI at 100whp?

I agree that power is a unit of measure and all dynos SHOULD read exactly the same given the same conditions. The reality, however, is that the methods for measuring power have not been refined to this degree. So until every dyno in the country reads exactly the same, dyno numbers will continue to be just one of many representations of a car's potential performance. The others being real world performance and results .

-- Ed
Old 06-08-2009, 10:50 AM
VIP Member

I see your point. I hope you can see my point that these inflated dynojet and dyno software numbers are significantly higher than the benchmark mustang dynos.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:02 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

I see your point. I hope you can see my point that these inflated dynojet and dyno software numbers are significantly higher than the benchmark mustang dynos.
I agree that most dynojet and Dynapak numbers are significantly higher than Mustang and DD dyno numbers. This is assuming the Mustang and DD dyno parameters were not messed with by the operator.

I'm not too sure what you're trying to get at by lumping "dyno software numbers" together with Dynojet numbers. From my experience, most road dyno software, including mine, reads similarly to the lower reading mustang dynos. There have been plenty of real world results to back up the numbers from my software in particular and considering these results I don't think anyone would call my numbers "inflated".

My software puts a stock 2.0l WRX around 155-165whp. I measured one stock WRX at 175whp but that was an outlier, not the norm. Full stage 2 WRX's put down around 210-220whp depending on mods and conditions. The car in this thread made 194whp with an aftermarket catback, intake, boost controller, and a good tune. I'm not sure why any of these numbers seem out of line to you. From my experience they are perfectly reasonable and completely in line with most Mustang chassis dynos.

I understand that you're skeptical about road dyno numbers, but there is no reason to be any less skeptical about numbers that come off a chassis dyno. In either case, the operator carries the ultimate responsiblity to keep the numbers consistent and representative of the car's true performance.

Thanks
-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 06-08-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I agree that most dynojet and Dynapak numbers are significantly higher than Mustang and DD dyno numbers. This is assuming the Mustang and DD dyno parameters were not messed with by the operator.

I'm not too sure what you're trying to get at by lumping "dyno software numbers" together with Dynojet numbers. From my experience, most road dyno software, including mine, reads similarly to the lower reading mustang dynos. There have been plenty of real world results to back up the numbers from my software in particular and considering these results I don't think anyone would call my numbers "inflated".

My software puts a stock 2.0l WRX around 155-165whp. I measured one stock WRX at 175whp but that was an outlier, not the norm. Full stage 2 WRX's put down around 210-220whp depending on mods and conditions. The car in this thread made 194whp with an aftermarket catback, intake, boost controller, and a good tune. I'm not sure why any of these numbers seem out of line to you. From my experience they are perfectly reasonable and completely in line with most Mustang chassis dynos.

I understand that you're skeptical about road dyno numbers, but there is no reason to be any less skeptical about numbers that come off a chassis dyno. In either case, the operator carries the ultimate responsiblity to keep the numbers consistent and representative of the car's true performance.

Thanks
-- Ed
You know through previous conversations that I like what you do and respect your 100% satisfaction rating with hoardes of very happy, very fast subys, but there is no way a 2.0litre wrx with all 3 cats in place on pump will make hp/torque of 195/199 at the wheels on a mustang. No way.

But you are right, numbers mean nothing compared to driveability.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

You know through previous conversations that I like what you do and respect your 100% satisfaction rating with hoardes of very happy, very fast subys, but there is no way a 2.0litre wrx with all 3 cats in place on pump will make hp/torque of 195/199 at the wheels on a mustang. No way.

But you are right, numbers mean nothing compared to driveability.
I don't understand why a 25-30whp gain over stock is so difficult to believe with a good catback, intake, boost controller, and true custom tune. With the stock catback and intake, I would estimate this car would have made about 180-185whp. The catback and intake free up a bit of flow and increase overall VE enough to make approximately 10whp.

The power in this kind of setup doesn't come that easily... it took me a good 2 hours to figure out the right balance of parameters to get the optimal safe power. It was especially challenging because I very rarely tune cars with all the factory cats. But once you spend the time and find the optimal calibrations, these power gains are completely realistic even with 3 cats present in the system. Replacing the factory cats with a good UP and downpipe with one high flow cat will yield the next 20whp. Again, why is this so difficult to comprehend?

What kind of power would YOU expect this car to make and why?

Thanks
-- Ed

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 06-08-2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:42 AM

Car Info: 07 STi EQ tuned / 08 LEGACY
with all that being said you both are right, i just merly gave him numbers that he can through out there to his friends, we all from time to time want to be able to say i have such in such horsepower to make ourselves feel great. when ed tuned my car i had no idea that it would feel the way it does now. to be honest i dont tell people how much power i have anymore, i just show them. by the way thanks again ed for the tune!!!

Quick Reply: noob review of EQ Tuning