Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Forced Performance is Selling Taiwanese turbos

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 PM

Car Info: WRB 18g + Meth (sold) 07 BMW 335i coupe
OMG no wonder my FP 18g blew after 1 week!!! =O crap too bad i didnt take pics but i already sent it back to them to have them evaluate it...the compressor wheel scraped the housing...
Old 09-05-2007, 03:12 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
greddy 18G?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Troll

Car Info: EVO 8 RS
Originally Posted by Jake
OMG no wonder my FP 18g blew after 1 week!!! =O crap too bad i didnt take pics but i already sent it back to them to have them evaluate it...the compressor wheel scraped the housing...
Jake

When you talk to them, try and get a VERY detailed description of the problem if you can. Like you posted in your "failure" thread, they said the wheel was "aligned" improperly, which is BS.

Let me ask you, as a customer, do you feel ripped of in any way?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Troll

Grant

Thanks for your reply! I would highly reccomend that you change the picture on your website, as it looks EXACTLY like the pictures that tc.com/forced performance has up on their website of a subaru turbo manufactured in Taiwan.

In fact, the reason I contacted you was to sound the alarm, as it were, about what you are selling, as I was sure you were selling the Taiwan version of the MHI core.

Please check out

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169887

Thanks for your time!

Brian

Grant Smith <grant@turbo-kits.com> wrote:

I do not… They are assembled to order so I do not have any pics of them complete… Let me know if you have any further questions or would like to order. Thanks!

Please reply with a copy of the original message. Failure to do so may result in your question not being answered.

Grant
Turbo Kits.com - Boost Your Horsepower
http://www.turbo-kits.com
grant@turbo-kits.com

PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this electronic mail message is proprietary and confidential under applicable law, and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the recipient of this message is not the above-named recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately purge it without making any copy or distribution.

Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 5:01 PM
To: Grant Smith
Subject: RE: Turbo-Kits.com Contact Form - Subaru 16g turbos

Grant

Cool-do you have any better pictures of the turbos?

Grant Smith <grant@turbo-kits.com> wrote:

It is not a Taiwan made turbo... it uses the Mitsubishi compressor housing
and the IHI exhaust housing... Not familiar with the other turbos available
for the car, but ours is the "real deal"... let me know if you have any
further questions or would like to order. Thanks!

Please reply with a copy of the original message. Failure to do so may
result in your question not being answered.

Grant
Old 09-06-2007, 10:40 AM

well ill just wait for what they say...they did not reply back on me on it yet...ill probably call them tomorrow to follow up
Old 09-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Troll

well ill just wait for what they say...they did not reply back on me on it yet...ill probably call them tomorrow to follow up
EDITED PENDING FULL TURBOCHARGER TEST.

Last edited by Taiwan Turbo; 09-10-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: 2006 EVO9 RS
Guys,

I hope some of you can see thru the fog of slander and defamation that Brian Smothers is slinging against FP. He is motivated soley by his hatred for FP, not some sort of do-gooder, kind samaritan love for the common man origin. He tried selling turbos that were made in Tiawan and they mostly all failed for obvious reasons, just like Brian admits.

For some reason Brian cannot accept the fact that FP actually builds our own turbos, and have for over a decade. That decade has given us more experience in Mitsu based Hybrids than anyone else. Momentums turbos did not fail because they were made up of poor castings, they failed because of poorly made precision rotating parts inside the turbocharger. These precision parts MUST be correct, and not cheap knock offs - this is why we exclusively use MHI bearings and repair kits to build all our turbochargers.

These Tiawanese castings only allow us to reduce our prices and offer you a better product for less money, and that is something everyone is looking for. There are no problems or defects in these castings. Factories in Asia have been making high quality castings for decades, and there is nothing wrong with sourcing aftermarket parts from Tiawan. In fact it allows improvements that would be too expensive to make otherwise.

MHI would not consider making a new part for even FP, even though we were the largest distributor of MHI turbos in 2006 and likely again for 2007, they are just too busy. Sourcing the castings we want out of Tiawan is the perfect solution for obtaining castings that are made the way we want out of the material we want in the quantities we want. And this fact in no way degrades the quality of our turbochargers.

This entire slander campaign is simply due to Brian Smothers needs for revenge and an expression of his feeling that if he can't succeed in turbos then FP damn sure won't either. What he missed in his poorly conceived plan was our tremendous databank of experience regarding what we do best, build the best Mitsu-Garrett Hybrid turbos in the world.

Boost On!
Robert Young
Old 09-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 04 STI
Originally Posted by ForcedPerf
Guys,

I hope some of you can see thru the fog of slander and defamation that Brian Smothers is slinging against FP. He is motivated soley by his hatred for FP, not some sort of do-gooder, kind samaritan love for the common man origin. He tried selling turbos that were made in Tiawan and they mostly all failed for obvious reasons, just like Brian admits.

For some reason Brian cannot accept the fact that FP actually builds our own turbos, and have for over a decade. That decade has given us more experience in Mitsu based Hybrids than anyone else. Momentums turbos did not fail because they were made up of poor castings, they failed because of poorly made precision rotating parts inside the turbocharger. These precision parts MUST be correct, and not cheap knock offs - this is why we exclusively use MHI bearings and repair kits to build all our turbochargers.

These Tiawanese castings only allow us to reduce our prices and offer you a better product for less money, and that is something everyone is looking for. There are no problems or defects in these castings. Factories in Asia have been making high quality castings for decades, and there is nothing wrong with sourcing aftermarket parts from Tiawan. In fact it allows improvements that would be too expensive to make otherwise.

MHI would not consider making a new part for even FP, even though we were the largest distributor of MHI turbos in 2006 and likely again for 2007, they are just too busy. Sourcing the castings we want out of Tiawan is the perfect solution for obtaining castings that are made the way we want out of the material we want in the quantities we want. And this fact in no way degrades the quality of our turbochargers.

This entire slander campaign is simply due to Brian Smothers needs for revenge and an expression of his feeling that if he can't succeed in turbos then FP damn sure won't either. What he missed in his poorly conceived plan was our tremendous databank of experience regarding what we do best, build the best Mitsu-Garrett Hybrid turbos in the world.

Boost On!
Robert Young
Thanks. It is always good to hear the other side of the story. Couple of questions:

1) Are the Taiwanese turbo castings cheaper than the MHI? I assume since you pass on the saving to your customers if you switched from Mitsu parts to Taiwan parts the total assembled turbo price dropped as well. Have there been any price drops from FP due to using the cheaper parts?

2) Does your quality control and incoming inspection record lot and batch numbers for at least the critical parts that you described? I think this would help with the case that defends your other parts coming from Japan.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:21 PM

well guys good news...FP is honoring the warranty on my turbo and this is wat robert replied to me with in regards to this topic of FP selling taiwan turbos

There is a guy that seriously hates FP posting a bunch of lies about our turbos being made in Taiwan. This is not true, we make our turbos ourselves in our own building here is Dallas. We buy some castings from Taiwan this is true, from the same place that this angry guy used to buy complete turbos - which failed and made this guy hate life. Those turbos he bought sucked because of the crappy factory in Taiwan building the turbos instead of people that knew what they were doing. They also had exploding compressor wheels in them, you can spot these wheels, they are almost white in color. We do not use these wheels, we use MHI wheels exclusively (appear grey as seen on our website). Our turbos which we build ourselves (we are regular white guys, not chinese guys) in our own plant are the highest quality Mitsu based turbos you can find. I'd appreciate you posting my comments so people will know the truth. I don't have an endless supply of time to bicker on the internet with this unemployed pissed off troll who has stated clearly that his goal is to ruin FP's business since his business failed.

Our turbos are not made in Taiwan.

Best Regards
Robert Young
Old 09-07-2007, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 04 WRB WRX
heres a question, how can you tell if your turbo is a FP, blouch, deadbolt, etc? meaning, if you buy second hand from another i-clubber how do you know what you are really getting?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM
Troll

well guys good news...FP is honoring the warranty on my turbo and this is wat robert replied to me with in regards to this topic of FP selling taiwan turbos
of course they are-as it is stated everywhere in almost every thread online, they stand behind their stuff.
There is a guy that seriously hates FP posting a bunch of lies about our turbos being made in Taiwan. This is not true, we make our turbos ourselves in our own building here is Dallas. We buy some castings from Taiwan this is true, from the same place that this angry guy used to buy complete turbos - which failed and made this guy hate life.
Oh jeez, I totally don't hate FP. I don't know them. As stated in the first post, I've never met them. Ever. What I do hate is the lies. They do not just buy some castings, and to say that is all they buy is a total lie! COME ON!!!
Those turbos he bought sucked because of the crappy factory in Taiwan building the turbos instead of people that knew what they were doing. They also had exploding compressor wheels in them, you can spot these wheels, they are almost white in color. We do not use these wheels, we use MHI wheels exclusively (appear grey as seen on our website).
Yes they did explode, but it was because they were balanced incorrectly-or so I was always told. Keep in mind, the turbo factory in Taiwan lies about everything, so when I stopped selling turbos, it was unclear as to what was really going on.
Our turbos which we build ourselves (we are regular white guys, not chinese guys) in our own plant are the highest quality Mitsu based turbos you can find.
See, that's what I don't like. What makes them mitsubishi turbos, a compressor wheel? What about the other parts? Isn't that dishonest? These turbos are copies of a mitsubishi design with taiwanese parts, so they are "Mitsubishi based?"
I'd appreciate you posting my comments so people will know the truth. I don't have an endless supply of time to bicker on the internet with this unemployed pissed off troll who has stated clearly that his goal is to ruin FP's business since his business failed.
Yikes, that is not my stated goal! My goal is to rally race my car......I don't want to destroy anyone, I just want you all to know what you are buying and come to your own conclusions. For the record, I stopped doing business because the parts I was dealing with were not good enough. I could have just posted some nonsense about how only white people touch our turbos on the forums, but it seemed more ethical to just stop doing it.
Our turbos are not made in Taiwan.
So none of the moving parts are taiwanese? Meh....
Old 09-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Troll

Guys,

Boost On!
Robert Young
EDITED PENDING FULL TURBOCHARGER TEST.

Last edited by Taiwan Turbo; 09-10-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Troll

Originally Posted by DeadSTick
Thanks. It is always good to hear the other side of the story. Couple of questions:

1) Are the Taiwanese turbo castings cheaper than the MHI? I assume since you pass on the saving to your customers if you switched from Mitsu parts to Taiwan parts the total assembled turbo price dropped as well. Have there been any price drops from FP due to using the cheaper parts?

2) Does your quality control and incoming inspection record lot and batch numbers for at least the critical parts that you described? I think this would help with the case that defends your other parts coming from Japan.
If I may

1)They are actually better than MHI in a lot of ways, but they are not that cheap.

2)I believe that the compressor wheel and bearings are Japanese. I don't question the integrity of FP on this at all. Turbine wheel? Uh, no....

Are the forced performance turbos assembled in the USA? Robert says they are, and as far as I can gather, he is an honest guy. You can come to your own conclusions, I guess, about that.

Last edited by Taiwan Turbo; 09-07-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:15 PM
Troll

Guys,

Boost On!
Robert Young
Also, if you want to promote your proucts, you should register as a vendor here.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by Taiwan Turbo
Also, if you want to promote your proucts, you should register as a vendor here.
Since when did we make you a moderator?

I do not consider FP to be selling anything here. They are responding to accusations which is entirely within their rights. It is good for our members to hear both sides of any story and decide for themselves what is true. I hope you can understand that.

Quick Reply: Forced Performance is Selling Taiwanese turbos