Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Finally Got Protuned by Ed @ EQTuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by unstble
yeah...dick...I did. please do not take that as an insult...dick!
well not to be a dick again, I dont see what any of that other stuff has to do with your inability to read. Both the OP and ed stated this was a stock car, not to be a dick
Old 10-03-2006, 04:37 PM

Car Info: WRX STi
Originally Posted by ucbsti
well not to be a dick again, I dont see what any of that other stuff has to do with your inability to read. Both the OP and ed stated this was a stock car, not to be a dick
That's the point, a 2004 WRX with 3 cats in place will NOT make 203whp on a mustang, and we are led to believe that Ed's road dyno is in line with the Gruppe-S heartbreaker. I just wanted to hear Ed's explanation as to how those numbers were achieved before raising the BS flag.

I know EQ is gaining a respected following for his tuning ability, but those numbers seem a little bit off what you can expect from a stock car...perhaps Ed will enlighten us on how he's achieving SO much more than other tuners.

(sits and waits for explanation of how this car has a freakishly strong engine)
Old 10-03-2006, 04:56 PM

Car Info: WREX
^ What he said...
Old 10-03-2006, 05:14 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by mudman
That's the point, a 2004 WRX with 3 cats in place will NOT make 203whp on a mustang, and we are led to believe that Ed's road dyno is in line with the Gruppe-S heartbreaker. I just wanted to hear Ed's explanation as to how those numbers were achieved before raising the BS flag.

I know EQ is gaining a respected following for his tuning ability, but those numbers seem a little bit off what you can expect from a stock car...perhaps Ed will enlighten us on how he's achieving SO much more than other tuners.

(sits and waits for explanation of how this car has a freakishly strong engine)
I dont think they are THAT far off, and I personally have not seen a pro-tuned wrx with full stock exhaust put on the GS dyno, so what are you basing this on?

Either way, downsti ran a 12.4 on a stock turbo, so thats pretty inline with the protuned stis that put out 280whp+ on the GS dyno

Eliminating the cats isnt always needed to make good power, its just safer to do so at elevated boost levels to lower egts and over all engine temps (which helps reduce knock potential)
Old 10-03-2006, 05:25 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
This was quite a strong motor and responded very well to tuning. This car still has the stock solenoid, so its only running a max of 14.5psi. AFR's are around 10.5:1 with loads of timing. The key was figuring out that this car made the best power with a little more fuel and timing. It took some time to dial in the timing curve propperly and once everything was massaged out, the car consistantly made ~200whp and 200ft-lbs and was knock free. Generally stock cars with a good tune will make ~190whp, so this isn't too far off considering I took some extra time on this car and it seems to be a strong motor in general.

Thanks

Last edited by MethodBuilt; 10-03-2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:52 PM

Car Info: WREX
Well there ya go....

What's the average wait on the waiting list for a tune these days?
Old 10-03-2006, 06:37 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I can usually get people in within a 1-2 weeks.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by mcdrama
From what I read in a recent subiesport, Cobb is working on a reflash for the RS/NA imprezas. Nothing on their website yet though.

Yeah. I saw that. I wonder when it'll come out.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
200whp with a stock exhaust and 3 cats?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:32 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by glenspen
200whp with a stock exhaust and 3 cats?

don't knock it if you don't know what you're talking about.

One of the first cars tuned by Ed was an 04 WRX with nothing else and made 193~WHP on the Gruppe-S dyno.

Ed, do you still have that dyno anywhere from Joel's car when you guys took it there? It was like two years ago, so those picks could have been on your laptop that got stolen along with your ECUTek stuff.

Last edited by mattsn0w; 10-03-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by mcdrama
don't knock it if you don't know what you're talking about.

One of the first cars tuned by Ed was an 04 WRX with nothing else and made 193~WHP on the Gruppe-S dyno.

Ed, do you still have that dyno anywhere from Joel's car when you guys took it there? It was like two years ago, so those picks could have been on your laptop that got stolen along with your ECUTek stuff.
Well I know a stock STI puts down 210-220whp on a mustang, so to get within 10whp with just a flash on a WRX, running 3 cats and a stock turbo is something very special indeed

As you clearly understand, tuning is more about real world engine performance and not about peak figures, but to compare a road dyno's figures with that of a Mustang dyno is naive.

Ed has gained a great reputation, and you don't get that without happy customers, to date I have never seen or heard a comment about EQ that wasn't positive and many, many people, including yourself, are very happy with their tunes, but 203whp on a stock motor...come on, pull the other one.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:22 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by glenspen
Well I know a stock STI puts down 210-220whp on a mustang, so to get within 10whp with just a flash on a WRX, running 3 cats and a stock turbo is something very special indeed

As you clearly understand, tuning is more about real world engine performance and not about peak figures, but to compare a road dyno's figures with that of a Mustang dyno is naive.

Ed has gained a great reputation, and you don't get that without happy customers, to date I have never seen or heard a comment about EQ that wasn't positive and many, many people, including yourself, are very happy with their tunes, but 203whp on a stock motor...come on, pull the other one.

I do agree that the 203whp could very well read differently on the GS dyno.
For that reason, I do plan on having my car dynod at GS for the sake of having something people can compare with as my car also has road dyno numbers.

Last edited by mattsn0w; 10-03-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
how does the gruppe-s dyno compare to # put up at atp? and ed how close is your road dyno # to those you seen at atp?
\
anyone?

Last edited by zumnwrx; 10-03-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by zumnwrx
how does the gruppe-s dyno compare to # put up at atp? and ed how close is your road dyno # to those you seen at atp?
\
anyone?
ATP no longer dyno's to the public, we did a comparison with Krinkov's car between our dyno and ATP's and 30 mins or so difference.

ATP = 353whp
Gruppe-S = 307whp

As for the 04 WRX that belonged to Joel according to the dyno logs the most hp it made on the dyno was 171whp, I have the graphs they are dated 2/18/05.

To the original poster, congrats looks like you have a strong motor and a great tune from Ed, curves look great!

Mike
Old 10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
holly! that dyno is a ego killer haha

thanks mike

Quick Reply: Finally Got Protuned by Ed @ EQTuning