Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Exedy Stage 1 Clutch sucks so bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:55 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
Exedy Stage 1 Clutch sucks so bad

My Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit lasted 37k miles, and it always chattered in 1st and 2nd gear. Hard to drive smooth, it felt more like a solid hub 6-puck but without the awesome grip. It was sort of embarassing to have passengers sometimes. It had a bad odor too like it was always burning up. This was probably the worst clutch I've ever had, for any car. It actually started slipping in 5th at 25k miles. Weird thing is the clutch disk had maybe 50% of the material remaining (not even worn down to the rivets) when I pulled it, so I guess the pressure plate was to blame.

Car is a 2005 WRX with basic mods, nothing crazy. I installed everything myself so it was done right. Replaced it with a ACT street clutch and I love it already.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:39 PM

Car Info: sold: 06 wrx
oh man i just bought this clutch! im not worried though because ive also heard about people who loved it. theres also people who hated the act street disc(complained it didnt grip and wore out too fast) than swithched to the exedy stage one and loved it
Old 06-24-2011, 04:55 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Where is the logic?

You installed a clutch made by one of the top manufacturers.
The clutch worked improperly.
When you removed it the clutch was worn in an unexpected way.
This clutch has worked fine for a million other customers.

Sounds to me like the wrong parts were put on the car in the first place. Which IS a common problem.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Car Info: 05 asp white wrx
Originally Posted by Gancherov
Where is the logic?

You installed a clutch made by one of the top manufacturers.
The clutch worked improperly.
When you removed it the clutch was worn in an unexpected way.
This clutch has worked fine for a million other customers.

Sounds to me like the wrong parts were put on the car in the first place. Which IS a common problem.
im gonna agree with Gancherov, I have used this same clutch personally with no problems stage 2. was on the car for 50k mi no prob.

Last edited by Imported209; 06-24-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: miss type
Old 06-24-2011, 11:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
We have installed dozens of Exedy clutches without incident.
What kit number did you install?
What type/brand flywheel did you use?
If the used stock flywheel was used, did you have it resurfaced?
Old 06-25-2011, 12:23 PM

I installed Exedy PN 15802. Stock flywheel and of course I had it turned. Actually the flywheel side of the clutch disk is just barely worn down to the rivets, the PP side not yet. The worn clutch disk has a thickness of about 5.25mm remaining. I've seen disks hold up to thickness less than 3.5mm, so I'm not impressed with that. I've installed Exedy clutches on my Hondas in the past with good results too, thats why I gave it a try on the Subie. Bad choice, I should have gone with my gut feeling and stuck with ACT. I had ACT on my DSMs back in the day, and ACT is the best.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 PM

I should also mention the original stock clutch lasted 68k miles, same mods and driving conditions. I got 125 miles on my ACT setup and so far so good. =)
Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
I have the Exedy stage 1 organic race clutch with matching light weight flywheel on my N/A 2.5RS. I never heard the clutch chatter EVER since the night I picked it up from AHQ after getting some engine work done. It runs beautifully and is a quality part........when you use the right parts and install them properly that is.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by ColinP
My Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit lasted 37k miles, and it always chattered in 1st and 2nd gear. Hard to drive smooth, it felt more like a solid hub 6-puck but without the awesome grip. It was sort of embarassing to have passengers sometimes. It had a bad odor too like it was always burning up. This was probably the worst clutch I've ever had, for any car. It actually started slipping in 5th at 25k miles. Weird thing is the clutch disk had maybe 50% of the material remaining (not even worn down to the rivets) when I pulled it, so I guess the pressure plate was to blame.

Car is a 2005 WRX with basic mods, nothing crazy. I installed everything myself so it was done right. Replaced it with a ACT street clutch and I love it already.
That is the same clutch that is made for the stock subarus. They use an exedy. I know it's hard to put blame on yourself but you could have ddone something wrong with you put the clutch in. But thats now you have the act and you like it so it's all smiles I had that exedy stage one also with 310whp on an 18g for 30k and had no issues with mine.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
That is the same clutch that is made for the stock subarus. They use an exedy. I know it's hard to put blame on yourself but you could have ddone something wrong with you put the clutch in. But thats now you have the act and you like it so it's all smiles I had that exedy stage one also with 310whp on an 18g for 30k and had no issues with mine.
I suspect the pressure plate I received with my kit was either faulty or incorrectly supplied from the beginning. I purchased my kit from a reputable dealer and verified the parts are genuine Exedy and labeled correct for my application.

Also, I think you have some bad information because the Exedy brand disk and cover are quite different from the original installed Subaru clutch. I personally looked at the parts at my dealer and they are identical to what I removed from my car originally.

This is my personal lousy experience with this product and your results may vary.

Last edited by ColinP; 07-07-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-26-2011, 06:34 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
I have a exedy stage 1 clutch installed by dbtuned right now hard to get use to but ill get the hang of it eventually
Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 AM

just my .02 . There was a period where knock off Exedy clutches were being manufactured and sold as original items. much like the cases with all the HKS and Greddy BOV's, there were companies making copies of Exedy clutches and being sold as such, if you search I believe there is still an article on it...