Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

big thumbs up to Paul at DB tuned

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:29 PM

Weird. I've never seen gains like this...............and frequent sti boards.

How could this be possible, when an 08 sti put down 160 on your dyno. You are telling me this guy has double the horsepower of a stock 08 sti??? I find that hard to believe.

I mean you really believe you got like 150+torque and 120+hp at the flywheel from these mods and tuning alone?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Weird. I've never seen gains like this...............and frequent sti boards.

How could this be possible, when an 08 sti put down 160 on your dyno. You are telling me this guy has double the horsepower of a stock 08 sti??? I find that hard to believe.
I said I screwed up when running the 2008 STi on my dyno; call it "premature posting" due to the giddyness factor.

I will post the correct 2008 STi charts when the car comes back. Owner is gone on extended business trip.

I mean you really believe you got like 150+torque and 120+hp at the flywheel from these mods and tuning alone?
One of my many vices is not lying.
How about you let me put your car on my dyno. For free, of course.
I'll even throw in a tank of gas for your troubles.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:07 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
I said I screwed up when running the 2008 STi on my dyno; call it "premature posting" due to the giddyness factor.

I will post the correct 2008 STi charts when the car comes back. Owner is gone on extended business trip.

One of my many vices is not lying.
How about you let me put your car on my dyno. For free, of course.
I'll even throw in a tank of gas for your troubles.
Paul is a very truthful person...
Old 05-24-2008, 01:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
I'm just wondering what kind of power you normally see with this kind of setup on your dyno on 91 Octane? Are these numbers typical or is this a freak occurance?
Any response to this?
Old 05-24-2008, 01:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
thanks!

Did you have to give him a secondary map for the higher altitude in Reno?

Or does the ECU do a good job of adjusting for that?
And this?
Old 05-24-2008, 01:46 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
FYI, I almost never see VF39 cars break 280whp on 91 with the exception of a few that did around 285 with headers and intakes. In my experience it takes 100 octane for the VF39 to break 300whp. Is 300whp+ normal for you and your dyno for a VF39 car on 91?
And on one other occasion .

But when I was tuned at GST with a GReddy Evo 2, TiTek catless downpipe and K&N drop in filter (with a Walbro of course) I put down 262whp and 299tq. I know that the Perrin header produces great gains as I now know that if I add that and an uppipe, I can break the 300whp barrier. Good news!!
Old 05-24-2008, 09:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Are you calling his dyno a liar?
Old 05-24-2008, 11:34 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Any response to this?
No, Ed...no response to your fishing expedition.

Maybe this will answer your curiosty:

Originally Posted by MethodBuilt
Joel's car was one of the first ones I ever tuned and I was still working out my base mapping. I didn't have a wideband at that point and the a/f was extremely conservative when it made it on Gruppe-S's dyno. The car certainly gained quite a bit once I re-tuned it with a wideband. I also believe we figured out that the tire size was incorrect in the configuration, so the numbers off the road dyno were indeed skewed on Joel's car untill I fixed the bug in the configurations.

Since then there have been several cars that have been dyno'd at Gruppe-S and on the road dyno and have been within 3whp of eachother. I am not claiming that every car is going to make exactly the same power on any other dyno as it does on my road dyno. Everyone has to remember that any dyno numbers vary quite a bit depending on varying weather conditions. Its also important to remember that a car that was tuned on the road will not necessarily perform the same way on a dyno and vice versa. Air flow over the IC and loading on a dyno is always a bit different as compared to that on a road.

Finally, I'd like to say that I do my best to keep my road dyno numbers as consistant and conservative as possible. Either way, I don't think anyone should play number games with any dyno chart... its just pointless. Cars are not raced on dyno's. There have been many cars with lower dyno numbers that end up being significantly faster on the road than cars with higher dyno numbers. PM downsti for details .

Thanks

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 05-24-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:27 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
No, Ed...no response to your fishing expedition.

Maybe this will answer your curiosty:
No need to get so defensive Paul. I simply asked if these numbers are normal for your dyno and your tuning in your experience. I'm not comparing your numbers to anything else, just wondering if these particular results are typical for the setup and 91 octane? I'm not sure what you think I'm "fishing" for here aside from some basic information. Its really no different than the several questions or remarks you've posted in some of my review threads recently. The only difference is that I provided direct answers instead of defensive accusations.

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 05-25-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 PM
MILF Hunter

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT
BACK TO THE SATISFIED CUSTOMER TOPIC!

renosti, Congratulations on the numbers! SUBARUS Rock! Paul is a great, honest, and mature tuner, I commend you on your choice of tuners!
Old 05-25-2008, 01:39 PM

Car Info: 06 sti
nevada 91 oct.....the man just knows what he's doing
Old 05-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Car Info: 06 sti
Originally Posted by legasti
BACK TO THE SATISFIED CUSTOMER TOPIC!

renosti, Congratulations on the numbers! SUBARUS Rock! Paul is a great, honest, and mature tuner, I commend you on your choice of tuners!
Thanks legasti, When Paul started working on my car little over two years ago he informed me what the modifications done to my car would do realistically, He was very honest so I had no unrealistic expectations. Since it was established before hand that my car was to be a daily driver it was tuned accordingly. Since Paul has worked on my car it runs smoother than stock just more power in all area's. After the latest mods and tune the car is noticably much faster. I mean holy **** faster, to me its quite amazing the power that is locked up in these cars. I'm a very satisfied coustomer and really thats all that matters.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
oh lord how long is this going to last.... :I
Old 05-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
oh lord how long is this going to last.... :I
its gunna be like the energizer bunny...
Old 05-27-2008, 08:49 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by downsti
that line in red
was that toward this post ?????

https://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/eq-tuning-%2A%2A%2A%2A-185112/

---

btw dbtuned
few nasioc members is waiting for your reply here
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1522395
Not that particular thread; it was a rough generalization, that's all.

So now this silliness has spread to another forum?
Wow.

And why should I reply?
Neither I nor the car's owner started it, it was obviously started with malice a forethought, so what's the point of me replying?
Nothing positive will come of it.

No need to get so defensive Paul. I simply asked if these numbers are normal for your dyno and your tuning in your experience. I'm not comparing your numbers to anything else, just wondering if these particular results are typical for the setup and 91 octane? I'm not sure what you think I'm "fishing" for here aside from some basic information. Its really no different than the several questions or remarks you've posted in some of my review threads recently. The only difference is that I provided direct answers instead of defensive accusations.
Really?
I think all I asked for were what mods had been done, as they weren't listed in the first post.
But to answer your direct question, no, these are not typical numbers that I see on my dyno, for this time of year, and with these mods.
Maybe the car was built on a Wednesday.

Quick Reply: big thumbs up to Paul at DB tuned