Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Auto HQ Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:39 AM

Car Info: N/A
Auto HQ Review

This is my first time writing a review on any shop here and it's not that the other shops I've been too werent worth noting it's just that everyone knows how great they are already. Auto HQ on the other hand is getting on their feet and I would like to help them out by showing my thanks. I went in for an oil change/tire rotation two days ago and I have to say James and Lawrence are some really cool dudes. I kinda got lost for a minute called the shop for directions and James told me which way to go, plus he even offered to drive out and meet me if I still couldn't find the shop. talk about excellent customer service! While at the shop both of these guys were super friendly and helpful answering what ever questions I had. Honestly I don't think I've ever felt so comfortable right off the bat in a shop before. I have no doubt in my mind that these guys will go far. Great work guys!

Thanks!

-Ken
Old 08-03-2005, 09:53 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
I think I should write a little schpeel about why you should go to AHQ. Although Kevin Wong is somewhat of a legend of a mechanic around the bay area, his shop is a new shop and the guys work really hard to satisfy your every need. They want your business but more importantly they want to be your friend and they really go out of their way to help you. And more importantly than that, Kevin's the real certified bona fide deal (not that other mechanics are not, but just pointing this out seeing as how AHQ's motto is "dealer service without the dealer price" and this is very accurate) Kevin is unbelievably meticulous: He does not come from a tuner background, he is not interested in crazy horsepower numbers of hackjobs to get better laptimes; because of his background he's concerned with the car holistically and above all makes his mission to make the car run as close to showroom fresh as possible. And that's what you want in a mechanic, isn't it?

It's something that more established businesses may not possess. No one should flame me for saying this unless you're a green thumb since it is pretty widely acknowledged in any industry, not just automotive: when you talk to guys who've been around for a while they will tell you of businesses that used to be super awesome but then they became shady as time went on. Most men, even the good men, have a certain threshold where they turn to greed. So that's one reason for going to AHQ; it's new and wants your return business.

Honestly, however, James and Kevin are probably among that .1 percent of men who will never turn to greed or become shady. Both had good jobs working for Namco and Subaru doing stuff they absolutely loved in the frst place, jobs most anyone here would like to have (James loves video games and worked on creating the Tekken project, the number of mechanics without work to do due to requests for Kevin speaks for itself). James and Kevin chose to start AHQ because they love this stuff, and hell they were working their other job full time for the better part of a year just so they could start up AHQ in their spare time. Neither of them need their current position at AHQ to put food on their plate, and most of the time when people get shady with a business, it's because they need it to put food on their plate.

Another big thing AHQ has going for it is that it does NOT sell many parts. This is somewhat of a philosophical choice; AHQ feels that putting down thousands of dollars of overhead for tuner parts might tempt them to unceccessarily sell to customers to get rid of inventory. Thus, they only keep on hand a few parts (such as brake pads, fluids) which are currently on their own personal cars; if you don't buy it from them no big deal, they'll just put it on their own cars next time they need replacements. Nothing else.

So there you have it, even if you mostly do your own work, do give AHQ your business because the world needs more good men like them.

Last edited by verc; 08-03-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
i PM'd them a while ago and i was looking for a place other then the dealership to do my 30K service, so ill be there when i hit 30K.

-Ave
Old 08-03-2005, 11:26 AM

Lawrence detailed my car last weekend...came out and met me at the shop and did a great job! Even treated some rust spots for me! It looks great inside and out now. Super friendly and i can definately say I felt comfortable and taken care of.

--reid
Old 04-08-2009, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
I just took my 05 wrx wagon in for a 60k service. The price was cheaper than any other place I got a quote. I hung out while they did the work and it only took like 4 hours. They let me drive the 400+ whp shop wrx (in fornza on the xbox) It was apparent they all had a passion for cars and i felt at ease giving them the keys to my baby.

thanks again
-Walker
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Definitely a great place to have service done for your car, I had min done at 60k. One different detail that wasn't mentioned was Bryan the sales guy. Although the shop does an excellent job in the service department, I was disappointed with Bryan trying to sell/undercut other shops. Getting an estimate if about 1900 for a 105k+sparkplugs, then some bargaining went down to around 900 (which he said yes to, told me he'd write up the quote, and never sent it in, instead I received an email that kevin said it was too low to do). Paul at DBTuned who gave me the flat number of about 1150. IMO I don't like the horsing around and bargaining deal (i might as well go to a dealership and bargain with their car prices), I would rather have a shop that stands by their work and parts with reasonable prices. I wouldn't mind paying an extra few bucks for the labor as long as the work is quality and gets done.

Some strategies for companies is to undercut the neighbor next to you. This was not the case when MedicSTI was there, it was a simple flat rate and he stood by AutoHQ's standards without undercutting other shops. Although, he was a bit pessimistic, he was more in tuned with Kevin and the holistic view of your LIFE and your Car, rather than just pushin for cash and parts and tunes.

IMO 105k+sparkplugs = over $1900 was pretty outrageous to me, but I guess if you got the money you wouldn't mind the pricing issues.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM

talk about an old thread
Old 04-08-2009, 05:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP: 04 WRB SEDAN Now Rollin' in STi
bump from the dead
Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Definitely a great place to have service done for your car, I had min done at 60k. One different detail that wasn't mentioned was Bryan the sales guy. Although the shop does an excellent job in the service department, I was disappointed with Bryan trying to sell/undercut other shops. Getting an estimate if about 1900 for a 105k+sparkplugs, then some bargaining went down to around 900 (which he said yes to, told me he'd write up the quote, and never sent it in, instead I received an email that kevin said it was too low to do). Paul at DBTuned who gave me the flat number of about 1150. IMO I don't like the horsing around and bargaining deal (i might as well go to a dealership and bargain with their car prices), I would rather have a shop that stands by their work and parts with reasonable prices. I wouldn't mind paying an extra few bucks for the labor as long as the work is quality and gets done.

Some strategies for companies is to undercut the neighbor next to you. This was not the case when MedicSTI was there, it was a simple flat rate and he stood by AutoHQ's standards without undercutting other shops. Although, he was a bit pessimistic, he was more in tuned with Kevin and the holistic view of your LIFE and your Car, rather than just pushin for cash and parts and tunes.

IMO 105k+sparkplugs = over $1900 was pretty outrageous to me, but I guess if you got the money you wouldn't mind the pricing issues.
Uhh... I never quoted $1900 for a 105k with spark plugs.. You left out that you were looking for a 105k minor service, spark plugs, AND a timing belt service.. That is $1300...

Even a 90k major service with a timing belt job is $1550...

I believe you also have some other facts mixed up... MedicSTI never worked at AHQ..
Please get your facts straight before you bash me.. I think another shop quoted you the $1900.. I know it wasn't me..

At AHQ we do believe more in keeping your on the road and in tune rather than pushing cash and parts.

Steven, if you are reading this I am not bashing you.. Just what the guy said..

Thank you
bryan

Last edited by Ballz; 04-08-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
He got a username wrong, for a past employee, I'm sure it was just a slip and will be corrected. Posting personal experience with a shop isn't "bashing", it's a review; iLoquin is entitled to his opinion as are all users with personal experiences, positive or negative.

Thread moved to the correct forum (this thread predated the review forum).
Old 04-08-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by queeg9k
I just took my 05 wrx wagon in for a 60k service. The price was cheaper than any other place I got a quote. I hung out while they did the work and it only took like 4 hours. They let me drive the 400+ whp shop wrx (in fornza on the xbox) It was apparent they all had a passion for cars and i felt at ease giving them the keys to my baby.

thanks again
-Walker
Walker, your welcome!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 PM

Privacy

Last edited by iLoqin; 11-10-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Privacy
Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 PM

Found out his name, it was Brandon.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:43 AM

Ilogin.. Sorry, not trying to con my way out of anything.. Maybe it was just a lack of communication somewhere.. People aren't perfect. I am not perfect. Sorry we couldn't do business this time around. Yes, I was trying to give you a good price. You haggled on the price to. I tried to meet your needs, but I couldn't. I am sorry for that.

Anyhow, I hope you received everything in fair order wherever you went. I am not the wrong guy to speak with at AHQ.

Stephen, sorry but $1900 is very outrageous.. If that's what I typed, it was a typo.. If it was over the phone, then it was mis-communication... I have never quoted $1900 for a timing belt service to anyone..

Some days I am absolutely swamped with things at the office and couldn't give you a hard copy. I have usually given an email quote one way or another..

Again, I am sorry..

Last edited by Ballz; 04-09-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 AM

"Let me give you the "logical" analysis. You quoted me from the start for 1900 for 105k sparkplugs and labor, without the timing belt. Then the price began dropping, and we ended up at 875 with the sparkplugs, where you said you would do 875. I have the gmail chat log to prove that."

Stephen, there has to be a misunderstanding somehwere... $1900 for a 105k minor and spark plugs .. I know I didn't do that .. a minor service is $300 and even with spark plugs it would be just $145 dollars more.. ($85 labor and $60 for the plugs)...

Quick Reply: Auto HQ Review