Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Why I think it was a mistake....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 01:07 PM

Thumbs down Why I think it was a mistake....

Well, besides the basic points about his economy and his personal war. I really think Jr. is going to screw up a lot of personal rights. Needless to say Gay's are going to lose the right to a civil union in most states. And that to me is pathetic. They have done no wrong. Also immigrant works are going to lose most if not all there rights, and that again saddens me. To top it all off he will be able to set supreme court judges, which will make america a more intolerant place to live. Anyways im starving excuse spelling errors and im off to eat.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:35 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Well, besides the basic points about his economy and his personal war. I really think Jr. is going to screw up a lot of personal rights. Needless to say Gay's are going to lose the right to a civil union in most states. And that to me is pathetic. They have done no wrong. Also immigrant works are going to lose most if not all there rights, and that again saddens me. To top it all off he will be able to set supreme court judges, which will make america a more intolerant place to live. Anyways im starving excuse spelling errors and im off to eat.
This is the liberals fault.

Bush wants to allow civil unions, but the liberals and gays had to shove it in our face and down our throats. You need to realize that a large majority of our society TOLERATES homosexuality, but DOES NOT yet ACCEPT it.

Individual States (not Bush) have overwhelmingly responded.

The way gays went about it has triggered a defensive action, even outlawing civil unions. If they hadn't forced it on us, our society would have accepted them more over time.

Time to back up and start over. Don't try to stick this one on Bush. He was right.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:42 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
This is the liberals fault.

Bush wants to allow civil unions, but the liberals and gays had to shove it in our face and down our throats. You need to realize that a large majority of our society TOLERATES homosexuality, but DOES NOT yet ACCEPT it.

Individual States (not Bush) have overwhelmingly responded.

The way gays went about it has triggered a defensive action, even outlawing civil unions. If they hadn't forced it on us, our society would have accepted them more over time.

Time to back up and start over. Don't try to stick this one on Bush. He was right.
But why should gays and lesbians have to "settle" for civil unions when they should have just as much right to marriage as anyone else?
Old 11-04-2004, 03:14 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by ericdared81
But why should gays and lesbians have to "settle" for civil unions when they should have just as much right to marriage as anyone else?
So its Bush's fault that the people voted against it? Why should they have to settle? It was put to a vote and it seems that the reason is that much of America is not willing to teach that homosexuality is acceptable to their children.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by ericdared81
Marraige and civil unions guarantee the same rights, correct? Can a man marry his pet or two women? If that's something he wants to do, why stop him?

Society decides. Again, it's the difference between tolerance and acceptance.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:21 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Marraige and civil unions guarantee the same rights, correct? Can a man marry his pet or two women? If that's something he wants to do, why stop him?

Society decides. Again, it's the difference between tolerance and acceptance.
They don't guarantee the same rights. Civil unions are when two people are recognized by the government to be joined. Marriage is when two people are joined by a religion or by their beliefs.

Two completely different things.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by njc200
They don't guarantee the same rights. Civil unions are when two people are recognized by the government to be joined. Marriage is when two people are joined by a religion or by their beliefs.

Two completely different things.
Then are gays asking that the government make churches marry gays?
Old 11-04-2004, 03:27 PM

I disagree, Jr wanted/wants to make a constitutional amendment "protecting" marriages. He is part of the religious right, I have yet heard anyone dispute that. I have also not heard him call out and say that it is wrong restricting others born rights to love other people.

The eleven states that voted on this some actually said they can not have civil unions. Just because the majority are biggots and intolerant of others does not make them right. I still find it amusing that individuals think its a choice and that they are not born that way. People like that usually do not know anyone that is gay.

Homosexuality SHOULD be acceptable, I do not see how it harms anyone. How does it harm you deyes? How does it harm your children?
Old 11-04-2004, 03:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by deyes
Then are gays asking that the government make churches marry gays?
Some churches will marry gay couples. But the government won't recognize it.

I can't speak for all of them. But the couple of gay people I know just want to have the same rights that a heterosexual couple have. I.e. insurance benefits, power of attorney, and help when one of them dies unexpectedly and doesn't have a will in place. I'm sure there was more but these are the only ones I know right off hand.

Last edited by njc200; 11-04-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:30 PM

The government should not mix with church. Period. This should be a non-issue but the religious right have made it one. Which to me is plain stupid and stand for everything that the Bible does not stand for.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:34 PM
VIP Member

Personally, I think marriage needs to be redefined in America. We need to do it the way they do in many places in Europe. The way its done there makes a lot more sense to me.

A couple, man/woman, man/man, woman/woman, go to a court house and sign some papers joining them or uniting them civilly. Its not a ceremony or anything, its just a legal thing. Then they are free to go to whatever church they choose and have it recognized by their church. Or not. They don't have to if they aren't religious.

This makes a lot more sense to me. It's keeping church and state completely separate.

Marriage is a religious thing. A civil union is a legal/gov't thing.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:34 PM

Also immigrant works are going to lose most if not all there rights, and that again saddens me. .

You're way off on that one. Whatever you think of his other policies, Bush has been better to Immigrant workers than any other president in memory. His plans have generally outraged conservatives, as he in effect offered a de facto amnesty to working individuals. He's always supported hispanic migrant workers claims to jobs in America. He did when he was in Texas (which, incidentally, treats immigrants with much more respect than California), and he's done it at the federal level too.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by subaruguru
You're way off on that one. Whatever you think of his other policies, Bush has been better to Immigrant workers than any other president in memory. His plans have generally outraged conservatives, as he in effect offered a de facto amnesty to working individuals. He's always supported hispanic migrant workers claims to jobs in America. He did when he was in Texas (which, incidentally, treats immigrants with much more respect than California), and he's done it at the federal level too.

I wasn't talking about Bush, go read up on a bill that was passed in Arizona I believe. They are cutting all benifits from immigrants and it was said this bill was a pre-courser to what other states would do.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:36 PM

I disagree, Jr wanted/wants to make a constitutional amendment "protecting" marriages. He is part of the religious right, I have yet heard anyone dispute that. I have also not heard him call out and say that it is wrong restricting others born rights to love other people.

The eleven states that voted on this some actually said they can not have civil unions. Just because the majority are biggots and intolerant of others does not make them right. I still find it amusing that individuals think its a choice and that they are not born that way. People like that usually do not know anyone that is gay.

Homosexuality SHOULD be acceptable, I do not see how it harms anyone. How does it harm you deyes? How does it harm your children?
I teach my children its wrong, that marriage is for a man and a woman. Thats my right, thats my prerogative. I raise my children as I see fit, the government nor anyone else should have a say in it. That said how am I too vote to allow it when I believe its wrong and teach my children its wrong? I'm not a bigot, but I do think marriage is sacred and a sexual relationship between people of the same sex is wrong. If we vote to allow civil unions for gays then so be it, if a church allows gays to marry then thats up to the church. I won't attend a church that does so and I won't vote for a measure that allows it.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:39 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by deyes
I teach my children its wrong, that marriage is for a man and a woman. Thats my right, thats my prerogative. I raise my children as I see fit, the government nor anyone else should have a say in it. That said how am I too vote to allow it when I believe its wrong and teach my children its wrong? I'm not a bigot, but I do think marriage is sacred and a sexual relationship between people of the same sex is wrong. If we vote to allow civil unions for gays then so be it, if a church allows gays to marry then thats up to the church. I won't attend a church that does so and I won't vote for a measure that allows it.

Again how does it harm either you or your children that they are gay? And doesn't the bible teach acceptance of other for who they are? Oh and I hope you don't have any friends that are divorced since the Bible teaches that is wrong too. So instead of understanding that people are different than you, wow what a concept, and have different beliefs your going to push your beliefs on them. If you don't concider that pushing your beliefs on them then you are taking away the rights that you have from them. Imagine if you where the minority group, imagine how you would feel if others did that to you.

Quick Reply: Why I think it was a mistake....