Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

When does a story become a security breech

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
When does a story become a security breech

We've mentioned the publics right to know vs. what we really don't need to know for the sake of security.

Originally Posted by Tony Snow
'The NEW YORK TIMES and other news organizations ought to think long and hard about whether a public's right to know in some cases might override somebody's right to live.'
Snow is referring to the NYTimes recent witch hunt to gain a story on how bank records are being watched in order to find transactions that suggest foul play such as terrorism.

I think this quote has a lot of weight. Where do you stand?

Last edited by Salty; 06-26-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:28 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Look at the recent story of the home-grown alleged terrorists.
Imagine what the headlines would've read had they carried out their alleged plot(s).

Now, guess what the hedlines would've read if all 20(?) of the 9/11 terrorists had been caught.

Darned if you do.
Darned if you don't.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Do you thing the Oklahoma bomber would have been caught if this was being done in '95 or that the Unibomber would have been caugh? No. Anyone can do anything anytime without anyone knowing, it just takes a smart person to go around the system.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:20 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Look at the recent story of the home-grown alleged terrorists.
Imagine what the headlines would've read had they carried out their alleged plot(s).

Now, guess what the hedlines would've read if all 20(?) of the 9/11 terrorists had been caught.

Darned if you do.
Darned if you don't.

Not sure exactly where you're going with this one, Paul. I'm stupid today.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:21 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
Not sure exactly where you're going with this one, Paul. I'm stupid today.
The local terrorists of recent news were stopped before they could carry out their alleged plan(s), yet is the media cheering their apprehension?
No. The papers write about "racial profiling" and other seemingly negative actions done by the gov't to protect us.

Hence, "Darned if you do."

The 20 9/11 ****tards were seen coming into America, were know to have gone to flight schools, etc, etc, etc. Alarms were sent to the gov't, yet nothing was done for fear of lawyers suing the gov't again for "profiling".

Hence, "Darned if you don't."
Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
I agree with the darned if you do, darned if you dont. If every threat was looked into, eventually complacency would set in and there would be no way to investigate all of them.
As far as the racial profiling, if you dont like it that you get stopped because of your race, do something about it and try to get the dumb ***** that give you a bad name to stop.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:56 PM
VIP Member

Thanks Paul.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:27 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Heh, kinda like how we dropped bombs on that throat-cutter's head and the media was hoping to stir up murder charges for giving him an ***-kicking right before he died.

Freaking crazy.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Heh, kinda like how we dropped bombs on that throat-cutter's head and the media was hoping to stir up murder charges for giving him an ***-kicking right before he died.

Freaking crazy.
Do you have a link about that? I didn't see anything like that in the coverage I saw of it.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
yes, if Bush only had the information about terrorists, 9/11 would have been prevented
Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 PM

Car Info: Sline
I think the story being leaked like it was by the NYTimes has to be the dumbest thing they could have done. I hate how political that newspaper is. After 9/11 they demanded a program like this be put into place. Now that there is one, they go and blow it out of the water. That program was doing A LOT for this country. I would be SHOCKED if ANY of you were to defend what the NYTimes did. I don't care about any right to know BS. What they did was treason. Plain and simple.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
you would be stupid to think the IC wasnt behind the leak...
Old 06-29-2006, 08:55 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Anybody else think that the media shouldn't be the people deciding if the public has a "right" or "need" to know? Who elected the NYT exactly?
Old 06-29-2006, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru
Originally Posted by jdepould
Anybody else think that the media shouldn't be the people deciding if the public has a "right" or "need" to know? Who elected the NYT exactly?
I really think that the only organization that cares about this bull**** is the media. If Sh** has to be kept secret by the goverment in order to protect the American people, then be it.
If the media is saying that "the public has the right to know" crap, then why do we even bother having an organization such as CIA, FBI, Marine, Army, whatever, ... doing their job investigating, researching and acquiring information in every posibble way they can, even if it meant racail profiling and all other sh** they do.

Also, I think the racial frofiling regarding terrorism is just a neccesary step and effective way needed to be done by the government.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Rid yourself of the media, and you rid yourself of an opposing voice to contradict extremist poltiics. It happens in every administration, though probably to a greater extent currently due to the polarization of the country right now. The NYT story may have been beyond the "public right to know", but you get rid of stories such as these and power can run amok more easily. It's a necessary "evil".
-Jeff

Quick Reply: When does a story become a security breech