Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

War on Christmas???

Old 12-15-2005, 07:40 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
War on Christmas???

http://mediamatters.org/items/200511210003

I don't understand the thought process of this. Christian fundamentalists are boycotting stores than don't use the word "Christmas". O'Reilly claims that saying "Merry Christmas" won't offend anyone, but saying "Happy Holidays" will offend millions of christians.

Why so angry Bill... why so angry?

check out the daily show clip on www.onegoodmove.org, Jon Stewart does a good job of poking holes in O'Reilly's crusade against saying "Happy Holidays".

And Gibson states that we wouldn't have "Winter Break" if Christmas wasn't during that time. Isn't another Christian holiday (Easter) celebrated on the spring equinox, originally a pagan ritual. Is it the same for Christmas? I checked a calendar and xmas is actually closer to the winter solstice than easter is to the vernal equinox. So wouldn't we still have a Winter and a Spring break? I guess we should start calling it Easter Break from now on...
Old 12-15-2005, 09:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Is that you Mr. Stewart?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Saying Happy Holidays doesn't bother me... it's the damn references to the "holiday tree" and so forth that **** me off to no end.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:57 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
You just like my why so angry quote. I knew there'd be some backlash for referencing one good move.

There was another thread about the politically correct jargon that goes on this time of year. Calling a christmas tree a holiday tree is just as silly. Its not a holiday tree, or a holiday menorah, but if someone wants to say, "Happy Holidays" I don't think they are being prejudiced against christians. I just don't get it.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:11 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
There's an article in The Week about this (reprinted from somewhere)...

Personally I don't mind "happy holidays" as an all-encompassing well-wishing but this whole thing about tolerating other religions and customs while at the same time not being allowed to celebrate your own is frustrating.

Last edited by 04blkWRX; 12-15-2005 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-15-2005, 10:14 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Salty
Saying Happy Holidays doesn't bother me... it's the damn references to the "holiday tree" and so forth that **** me off to no end.
Exactly....Like someone said on this forum....You wouldn't call a menora a holiday candle holder....
Old 12-15-2005, 10:47 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...I don't see what difference it makes if other people call a christmas tree a holiday tree. I could see being upset if they MADE you call it that...but they're not. They can call the tree any damn thing they want, and if that offends you then it's your problem not theirs.

I also don't see the big deal with saying happy holidays either. If someone in this day and age is nice and friendly enough to give any type of special greating because of what time of year it is, take it. When someone says happy holidays they mean just as good a thing as if they had said merry christmas. Noone is trying to force their beliefs on you...except the ones that show up on your doorstep, but they usually say merry christmas anyway.

Last edited by MVWRX; 12-15-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:10 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MVWRX
...I don't see what difference it makes if other people call a christmas tree a holiday tree. I could see being upset if they MADE you call it that...but they're not. They can call the tree any damn thing they want, and if that offends you then it's your problem not theirs.

I also don't see the big deal with saying happy holidays either. If someone in this day and age is nice and friendly enough to give any type of special greating because of what time of year it is, take it. When someone says happy holidays they mean just as good a thing as if they had said merry christmas. Noone is trying to force their beliefs on you...except the ones that show up on your doorstep, but they usually say merry christmas anyway.
The happy holidays thing I think most people (including myself) agree on. But in reality there is no such thing as a holiday tree. There would be no tree if it weren't for the Christmas holiday so why change something like that now? 10 years ago it wasn't a Holiday tree it was a Christmas tree. Why the change now?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:24 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by MonkeyAB
Isn't another Christian holiday (Easter) celebrated on the spring equinox, originally a pagan ritual. Is it the same for Christmas? .
Yes. For thousands of years before christ was born, both pagans and romans celebrated the lengthening of the days at the end of December.

Christ is thought to have been born in September, actually.

Originally Posted by salty
The only people I hear say "holiday tree" is conservatives railing about the use of the term. I've never heard the term used in real conversation.

Originally Posted by silverscoober
But in reality there is no such thing as a holiday tree. There would be no tree if it weren't for the Christmas holiday so why change something like that now? 10 years ago it wasn't a Holiday tree it was a Christmas tree. Why the change now?
Incorrect. The yule tree has been part of the celebration of yule since before christ.

I have a beautiful yule tree in my living room right now, as a matter of fact.

Last edited by lojasmo; 12-15-2005 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by lojasmo
I have a beautiful yule tree in my living room right now, as a matter of fact.
Hey, did you get a plastic Christmas tree, or a real one?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Hey, did you get a plastic Christmas tree, or a real one?
9 foot frazer fir. Cut it and hauled it out of the woods myself.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Frazer fir...hmmm....have to look that one up.

"Happy Holidays" doesn't bother me, but any reference to Qwanza is another story.

Happy Yule, lojasmo!!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Oaf
"Happy Holidays" doesn't bother me, but any reference to Qwanza is another story.
Happy Qwanzaa BEYOTCH!!!!!!!!

:banana:
Old 12-15-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Oaf
Frazer fir...hmmm....have to look that one up.

Happy Yule, lojasmo!!
Thanks man! Happy holidays to ya!
Old 12-15-2005, 02:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Forester XT Touring (Dark Gray Metallic)
Originally Posted by Salty
That's pretty funny...but Christmas trees have nothing to do with Christ at all. Christmas trees, mistletoe, candles, carols and gift giving rituals – all of these christmas traditions are of pagan or non christian origin.

Originally Posted by lojasmo
Christ is thought to have been born in September, actually.
The most detailed accounts of Jesus' birth are contained in the Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of Luke. There is considerable debate about the details of Jesus' birth even among Christian scholars, and few scholars claim to know either the year or the date of his birth or of his death.

Based on the accounts in the gospels of the shepherds' activities, the time of year depicted for Jesus' birth could be spring or summer. However, as early as 354, Roman Christians celebrated it following the December solstice in an attempt to replace the Roman festival of Saturnalia. Before then, Jesus' birth was generally celebrated on January 6 as part of the feast of Theophany, also known as Epiphany, which commemorated not only Jesus' birth but also his baptism by John in the Jordan River and possibly additional events in Jesus' life.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: War on Christmas???