Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

US Worst Travel Destination

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:51 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
US Worst Travel Destination

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061120/...usa_image_dc_1

I think it's sad...
Old 11-20-2006, 01:44 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
and we wonder why no one likes us....
Old 11-20-2006, 03:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
This story is absolutely ridiculous. I think it's sad that people base their experiences of an entire country on how a customs agent tone of voice is when he or she asks you your purpose of stay. At least that's how this "study" seems to have been conducted.

If you can't move on and enjoy New York City, San Francisco, Yellowstone (or wherever)because of your brief encounter with agents whos job is to be suspicious of your purpose didn't go as smoothly as expected - especially considering the times - then you need to get a life.

If anything, I WANT those standing in line to feel like their incomplete paperwork will have their entire trip canceled. Make them feel like they're walking on eggshells for the 5 minutes they're in line. Come with the proper paperwork, take a deep breath and do exactly what you're told until you clear customs. Then you can enjoy your stay! Simple. Not saying the agents couldn't be a bit nicer because they could - i’ve dealt with a few rude agents here. But to suggest that the US is the worst travel destination because of your experience in an airport is asinine. I want to know where these people traveled. I've been all around the world and have had to bribe customs agents to get my bags and/or into the country on two occasions.

****, one time I had to rent a car from Vancouver to the USA because I was a kid that was suspected of having drugs on my person or baggage. They told me I had no rights in an international airport and searched me in a private room with no cause. They denied me and my grandfather from getting on any plane. We were coming back from a fishing trip. I never did any drugs or was near any drugs. This incident was entirely separate from the two trips to different countries I had to bribe agents.

Something tells me these international travelers' views have changed toward America since 2003. Sorta reminds me of this asinine story: http://greensickle.com/2006/04/when_...the_blank.html

Last edited by Salty; 11-20-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by spedmunki
and we wonder why no one likes us....
Yeah, the customs officials can be a huge drag on international relations.

Last edited by Salty; 11-20-2006 at 03:48 PM.