Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

UAV technology.....just wow

Old 06-24-2007, 09:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
UAV technology.....just wow

I will go to my grave arguing that no battles nor especially wars will ever be won without what we call joint or combined arms contributions to the fight. In other words, you can bomb/strafe/surveil an area all you want but until the 'grunts' are able to set foot on the ground and effectively seize it, pure sorties alone will never be decisive.

However, with that said, this is just purely awe inspiring:
Originally Posted by from an email my uncle sent
This is a photo of the Global Hawk UAV that returned from the war zone recently under its own power. (Iraq to Edwards AFB in CA) - Not transported via C5 or C17..... Notice the mission paintings on the fuselage. It's actually over 250 missions.... (and I would suppose 25 air medals). That's a long way for a remotely-piloted aircraft. Think of the technology (and the required quality of the data link to fly it remotely). Not only that but the pilot controlled it from a nice warm control panel at Edwards AFB. Really long legs- can stay up for almost 2 days at altitudes above 60k.
The Global Hawk was controlled via satellite; it flew missions during OT&E that went from Edwards AFB to upper Alaska and back non-stop. Basically, they come into the fight at a high mach # in mil thrust, fire their AMRAAMS, and no one ever sees them or paints with radar. There is practically no radio chatter because all the guys in the flight are tied together electronically, and can see who is targeting who, and they have AWACS direct input and 360 situational awareness from that and other sensors. The aggressors had a morale problem before it was all over. It is to air superiority what the jet engine was to aviation.
It can taxi, take off, fly a mission, return, land and taxi on it's own. No blackouts, no fatigue, no relief tubes, no ejection seats, and best of all, no dead pilots, no POWs. Pretty cool!

More information found HERE.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
And people want to know what replaced the SR-71 and other planes. This may well be that plane as far as we know. You don't need a super sleek black jet to get the job done when you can send a gas tank with wings to do it without pilots.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:37 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gpatmac
I will go to my grave arguing that no battles nor especially wars will ever be won without what we call joint or combined arms contributions to the fight. In other words, you can bomb/strafe/surveil an area all you want but until the 'grunts' are able to set foot on the ground and effectively seize it, pure sorties alone will never be decisive.
It's true. Playing Operation Desert Fox will only buy you time until the real dirty work needs to be done. It was Clinton's trademark.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
UAVs are definitely awesome I just wish they would integrate them better into ground ops. The Air Force guys have a tendency to put them in the air and "see what they can find" and on occasion you can have one check routes for you but if you combined this asset with HIMARS, a good S-2 (intell), indigenous forces and good soldiers and Marines, it's unstoppable. There have been cases where these things see guys planting an IED and they can't alert the troops in sector fast enough, what a waste that is. Anyway, this technology will definetly get better when its more integrated with ground troops. Have either of you guys seen the Raven?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:17 PM
VIP Member

Nope, but I like the concept. My first impression is that its truly disposable. I'm definitely not up on the latest technology. I knew that an actual pilot flew UAVs, and I knew that they flew them from the comfort of stateside. However, I didn't like the fact that when they went down, we had to send a platoon out to go retrieve it. I mean, I know UAVs aren't cheap, but the whole point of them is Economy of Force so if one were to go down...thanks for the effort, robot.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:25 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Yeah I know what you mean. I still am not as clear as I feel I should be but I think these things can be integrated. No one has made an effort to do so which is the problem. And as you are keenly aware, if someone isn't told to do exactly that, it will never happen.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gpatmac
Nope, but I like the concept. My first impression is that its truly disposable. I'm definitely not up on the latest technology. I knew that an actual pilot flew UAVs, and I knew that they flew them from the comfort of stateside. However, I didn't like the fact that when they went down, we had to send a platoon out to go retrieve it. I mean, I know UAVs aren't cheap, but the whole point of them is Economy of Force so if one were to go down...thanks for the effort, robot.
Right. It's crap. My guess is the reason isn't because of the worth of the UAV but because half the countries we fight against and spy on specialize in reverse-engineering our systems by hiring russian scientists for peanuts. I wouldn't be surprised if certain SOFs have a mission/SOP for retrieving these things.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Salty
I wouldn't be surprised if certain SOFs have a mission/SOP for retrieving these things.
My experience was that they just sent linedogs. I'd imagine that would vary depending upon where a UAV went down....like, say, a few miles across the Paki or Iranian borders.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:04 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
OPSEC!!!!!
Old 06-25-2007, 01:20 PM
VIP Member

Aw shucks. Isn't only an opsec violation when when you're stating something you have knowledge of? I can only guess that's what they're doing because I have no idea.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

I say they just put a self-destruct / incendiary bomb inside the same material they use for airline black boxes.