Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

U.S., Iraqi Troops Launch Mosul Offensive

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 09:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
U.S., Iraqi Troops Launch Mosul Offensive

We're taking control of these cities one at a time. Pretty soon we'll be left with a small group of insurgents in the middle of the desert or across a border.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._re_mi_ea/iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq - U.S. and Iraqi troops stormed insurgent-held police stations and neighborhoods Tuesday, launching an offensive to retake parts of this northern Iraqi city where gunmen staged a mass uprising last week in support of fighters in Fallujah.

Troops secured several police stations by the mid-afternoon, meeting "very little resistance," the U.S. military said. Witnesses said insurgents blew up three stations they were holding before abandoning them ahead of the U.S. assault.

U.S. warplanes and helicopters hovered over Mosul — Iraq (news - web sites)'s third largest city, with about 1 million residents — as loud explosions and gunfire were heard. About 1,200 U.S. soldiers were taking part in the offensive to recapture about a dozen police stations abandoned by Iraqi forces in the uprising.
Do you think the result of these offensives will be successful?

Even if we manage to gain control of all the hostile cities in Iraq, what do you expect to happen in the near to distant future?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:15 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
What do I expect? More fodder for jihadist organizations! We try to quell dissent by killing a bunch of Iraqis and expect that our military (and national ideology) will be embraced because we hand out some Snicker's bars.

While I admittedly concede I am not a versed scholar in international policy, what we are doing in Iraq seems to contradict the rational way of helping a nation overcome a period of tyranny
Old 11-16-2004, 04:36 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
I hope that in the near future Iraqi's will realize that the insurgents that are killing them with car bombs and murdering aide workers are not really serving their best interests. That it is in their best interests to put up with Americans to hasten their departure from their soil. Its kind of like, "Why fight the dentist that is pulling your teeth? It will only take longer.".
Old 11-16-2004, 04:39 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by dub2w
What do I expect? More fodder for jihadist organizations! We try to quell dissent by killing a bunch of Iraqis and expect that our military (and national ideology) will be embraced because we hand out some Snicker's bars.

While I admittedly concede I am not a versed scholar in international policy, what we are doing in Iraq seems to contradict the rational way of helping a nation overcome a period of tyranny
How do you rationally help a nation overcome tyranny if not removing the said tyrant from power? If I'm not mistaken the insurgents are mostly comprised of a minority group that is seeking to preserve the former power it enjoyed from Sadaams favor.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by deyes
How do you rationally help a nation overcome tyranny if not removing the said tyrant from power? If I'm not mistaken the insurgents are mostly comprised of a minority group that is seeking to preserve the former power it enjoyed from Sadaams favor.
But you'd never come to this type of conclusion because you never hear anything that suggests this from the media.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
kill them all, let god sort em out, JK, The sad thing is that everything is so publicized and telegraphed that the enemy can counter(or retreat/regroup) before we actually strike

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 11-16-2004 at 10:25 PM.