Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

A tribute to Bill Clinton's foreign policy..

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 02:41 PM

A tribute to Bill Clinton's foreign policy..

Got this idea from another thread, thought it might be interesting to list some of the highlights of the Clinton years:

-Rwanda: 800,000 people slaughtered in a matter of months. UN forces were in place to diffuse the situation, but the US (under Clinton's direction) voted against intervention.

-Bosnia: Ethnic tension heats up, Clinton responds by trying to bomb the serbians into doing what he wants them to do. As a result, Ethnic cleansing accelerates, all parties involved begin fighting heavily. After the former yugoslavians come to the table and agree on the settlement that they had originally worked out before Albright's involvement, Clinton sends a peacekeeping force. Unprofor and ifor simply arrest war criminals, becuase the ethnic cleansing has worn itself out by the time intervention begins in earnest.

-Afghanistan: The taliban consolidates its hold on the country, and welcomes Osama (fresh from being extorted right out of Sudan) and friends. Clinton's response when Osama's people destroy two US embassies, (Kenya and Tanzania): Throw some tomahawks at their camp. Result: Osama and the rest of the terrorist camp become convinced that the US will rely on high tech, high altitude fighting techniques...something they know to be the least effective against their modes of warfare.

In sum, that's two genocides and the rise of a powerful terrorist network on the Clinton watch. What was he doing all day long in that oval office? Oh that's right....

What do you all think?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
...Waits patiently for the "but Bush did this and that" rebuttal...
Old 08-10-2004, 02:55 PM
VIP Member

Dave,

You forgot to mention how Clinton launched a major offensive and wagged the dog during Operation Desert Fox in 1998 that killed 156 people in 5 days (the ignored 'shock and awe').

All of the sudden Saddam became a huge problem for UN weapons inspectors regarding possible weapons of mass-destruction and failure to cooperate with UNSCOM. Clinton then decided that a few laser guided bombs would solve the problem once again.

For those of you that remember, Clinton successfully diverted attention away from the heated sex scandal by sweeping another world problem under the rug for the Bush Admin to handle.

Many strategists still question Clinton's timing on the air strikes in relation to his impeachment.

Last edited by Salty; 08-10-2004 at 03:48 PM. Reason: had to add the death toll
Old 08-10-2004, 09:16 PM
VIP Member

Funny how nobody wants to post.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
cough......cough....Somalia.....cough.....cough

Dude Clinton was on it! What are you talking about
Old 08-10-2004, 09:53 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
what foreign policy, go read Black Hawk Down there's some Clinton policy for you
Old 08-11-2004, 10:31 AM
VIP Member

Good points on Somalia...

500,000 Somalis died from starvation by the fall of 1992 which encouraged George Bush Sr. to initiate Operation Restore Hope during the same year. The primary mission was to nourish the famished country of Somalia via "restore hope", then pop-smoke due to the fact we had -zero- foreign interest in Somalia.

Clinton's decision to continue with the mission in 1993 was a major mistake because of our lack of foreign interest and inability to restore the infrastructure of the country that wasn't grateful. We're not talking about the occasional Shiite, Sunni Muslim or Baath Party uprising in a known Iraqi town or city block, we're talking about the entire country... imagine a ghetto-like Fallujah on a 246,000 square mile scale.

After realizing the Somali uprising was conflicting with his Saxophone lessons and scheduled "Oval Office Hummers", Clinton decided to push himself away from the table of responsibility. He then handed the torch to UN Sec. General, Butros Ghali who called most of the shots in the war against the Somali National Alliance and leader, Hussein Aideed.

This resulted in **** poor military strategy which left members of CAG, Rangers, 10th Mountain and SOAR bogged down in the middle of a massive civil war. Many fine men died and most were dragged through the streets of Mogadishu like rag dolls.

Yet I keep hearing how Clinton was this "Great Leader"... did we just have our blinders on for his eight year term because he was a democrat? He was a great public speaker (unlike Bush) so he couldn't possibly be making bad judgment calls, right?

I'm not trying to justify Bush Jr. by posting all this but it makes my brain hurt knowing how many hypocrites we have against George W. Bush. and his current actions in Iraq.

Last edited by Salty; 08-11-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:49 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Uh, as I recall- our involvement in the whole Somalia thing was stared by GHWPB (George Bush Sr.) it was his way of sticking it to Clinton and it worked.

go back and read your history
Old 08-11-2004, 10:59 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by psoper
Uh, as I recall- our involvement in the whole Somalia thing was stared by GHWPB (George Bush Sr.) it was his way of sticking it to Clinton and it worked.

go back and read your history
go back and read the thread, psoper...

Originally Posted by Salty
Good points on Somalia...

500,000 Somalis died from starvation by the fall of 1992 which encouraged George Bush Sr. to initiate Operation Restore Hope during the same year. The primary mission was to nourish the famished country of Somalia via "restore hope", then pop-smoke due to the fact we had -zero- foreign interest in Somalia.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:01 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
I wasn't defending bubba on the other crap, he was after all the best republican president elected as a democrat that we've had, but somebody brought up Somalia, just wanted to keep the blame where it really belongs.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:46 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
I was referring more to the aftermath of somalia, namely the message Clinton sent to basically anyone who doesn't like the United States: "Kill a few Americans, and they'll run away"
Old 08-11-2004, 12:47 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by psoper
I wasn't defending bubba on the other crap, he was after all the best republican president elected as a democrat that we've had, but somebody brought up Somalia, just wanted to keep the blame where it really belongs.
Bush Sr. went forward with Operation Restore Hope with good intentions to nurse a struggling and famished country in 1992, not to liberate it like Clinton in 1993.

You see, when Clinton became the most powerful man on the face of the Earth he made his own decision to occupy Somalia. He didn't get on the phone with George Sr. and ask for his advice.

Clinton made this decision to "up the ante" in Somalia (via liberation) when we didn't need to be there any longer. Our large peacekeeping force had already completed the primary mission of ORH by distributing food and charity as an act of good faith.

As the most powerful man on the face of the Earth, Clinton could have had every American swinging-dick in Somalia on a boat back to the United States within a week of being President.

Therefore, there's no passing the buck on Bush Sr. when "the blame really belongs" with Clinton... you have nobody to blame but Clinton and Clinton has nobody to blame but himself.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
what is the point of this? are we besmirching his name to discredit all Democrats? He isnt the president.

I am not a big fan of Clintons either but wtf cares?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:25 PM

Yup agreed dub2w. They bring it up to hide the huge failings of Jr. We had some of the best times ever during his time as president. And everyone outside of the US thinks its laughable what they tried to do to him because he got a blow job. Oh my god how could a man of power get a blow job! Please. Let see right off the top of my head I can come up with three failings of Jr. that are way worse.

- He has yet to catch the terrorist that caused 9/11 to happen. Good job attack another country instead of finding the man that caused 9/11.

- Did everything in his power to go into a war with a country that couldn't do us any harm. To top that off under false pretenses.

- Has caused more people to hate us than EVER before, while destroying our bounds with our alias. American's don't know what terroism really is like. We have had two or three major attacks but thats about it. Go to a place where it is prevelant and then you'll see what Jr. has started to be our future.

And those just are off the top of my head. So don't even bothering comparing the two, because im very very sure I can say a thousand things worse about Bush jr. Oh and for the moral point. Drug abuser to me is way worse than getting head.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dub2w
what is the point of this? are we besmirching his name to discredit all Democrats? He isnt the president.

I am not a big fan of Clintons either but wtf cares?

It's based the fact Clinton was hardly ever questioned about his foreign policy when it's comparable, if not worse, then Bush Jr's.

Meanwhile, the democrats and liberals will question Bush's actions when they never questioned Clinton's?! Name:  bigeek.gif
Views: 33
Size:  1.6 KB

I don't remember this much hype from conservatives during Clinton's term in comparison to the liberals and democrats against Bush Jr's term.

Originally Posted by Salty above
Yet I keep hearing how Clinton was this "Great Leader"... did we just have our blinders on for his eight year term because he was a democrat? He was a great public speaker (unlike Bush) so he couldn't possibly be making bad judgment calls, right?

I'm not trying to justify Bush Jr. by posting all this but it makes my brain hurt knowing how many hypocrites we have against George W. Bush. and his current actions in Iraq.

Quick Reply: A tribute to Bill Clinton's foreign policy..