Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Teh Destruction!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Teh Destruction!

Let the madness begin. While this might be fun for AWD / 4WD outings, I cant imagine how debilatating it will be for our ecosystems.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...w100120D84.DTL
Old 05-05-2005, 12:08 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
This is probably the most unjustified, unreasonable, uneducated decision I have ever heard of under any Presidency. This is right along the lines of giving the Panama Canal back. No, it's worse because this is on our soil. Yellow Stone, Yosemite, Glacier National Park and countless others just became commericial interests for some business man looking to make a buck at the publics expense. The National Parks are truly the gems of America and to leave them in the hands of an entrepreneur is absolutely irresponsible. This is a disservice of unimaginable proportion to American's today and the generations to come. Roosevelt is probably turning over in his grave right now.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
What's wrong with logical use of U.S. land resources? It's our public land, so we need roads to access and harvest it!

I predict someone will locate an endagered yellow-belly rat to stop road construction!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
What's wrong with logical use of U.S. land resources? It's our public land, so we need roads to access and harvest it!

I predict someone will locate an endagered yellow-belly rat to stop road construction!
No, I predict someone will find the Oklahoma Red Haired Corn Harvest Fly. If we lose even one of those it will destory the worlds ecosystem.

On a serious note you can't honestly justify cutting into National Parks can you? Are you saying that America is in such a predictament for resources that we need to tear down our National Forests? Besides, they are talking about making roads through them. Is our highway network so inefficient that we need a new highway cutting through central Wyoming? Not likely.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Anyone have stats as far as current logging goes? Are we in a slump for lumber?

I can remember hunting up in Kyburz and Ice House a few years back. Used to go every year prior to the service. Most of my hunting land had been cut down by Georgia Pacific but was nicely re-planted. The trees were about 6-8ft tall the last time I saw them. The reason I ask for stats is because there were parts of the forest that were untouched that should have been cut. Not sure if it's because of regulations or what but you'd think they'd clear cut more if it was absolutely needed?

GP does a decent job. Their system seems to work as I’ve seen their planted forests do quite well. It's not all hearsay either. They really replant with a purpose. I've ran into a backpacking botanist once recording everything one year. What they seem do is clear cut sections that also act as fire breaks and then immediately replant. Then alternate in rows until the oldest fire break matures for cutting.

The logging isn't the part that concerns me. It's the damn roads. Those that have been up in the backwoods know what I’m talking about. You get these tractor trailers maneuvering in the forest and it ruins the immediate areas around them. Add that up over the tons of acres across the USA and it can't be good. And they don't replant the roads because they eventually need to get back in their after 20yrs. By then there may be some natural growth but it's easy enough to mow over.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
This is probably the most unjustified, unreasonable, uneducated decision I have ever heard of under any Presidency. This is right along the lines of giving the Panama Canal back. No, it's worse because this is on our soil. Yellow Stone, Yosemite, Glacier National Park and countless others just became commericial interests for some business man looking to make a buck at the publics expense. The National Parks are truly the gems of America and to leave them in the hands of an entrepreneur is absolutely irresponsible. This is a disservice of unimaginable proportion to American's today and the generations to come. Roosevelt is probably turning over in his grave right now.
^^^^What he said. This is one of the worst environmental decisions W has made yet.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
That may be what they do. You can't throw a rock without hitting protected land in the south. You see a white band painted on a tree and it singles out the entire area as far as harvesting goes.

Anyone who's served in the southern states (Benning, Bragg, Lejeune, Rudder etc) or camped down south knows exactly what I’m talking about when I mention the Red-cockaded woodpecker.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:42 PM

Yeah, I can tolerate replanting as I have seen they take that pretty seriously but I'm not all about a highway running past Ole Faithful if you know what I mean. I wonder if gpatmac while get in on this. We have all seen that his Rally's cups are a prime example of his efforts to "SAVE THE FORESTS" HAHA!! I hope he does. And if you're reading this I'm mailing your book tomorrow.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
That may be what they do. You can't throw a rock without hitting protected land in the south. You see a white band painted on a tree and it singles out the entire area as far as harvesting goes.

Anyone who's served in the southern states (Benning, Bragg, Lejeune, Rudder etc) or camped down south knows exactly what I’m talking about when I mention the Red-cockaded woodpecker.

HAHA Benning is exactly how I know what you are talking about. Alabama has tons of replanted forests.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
The logging isn't the part that concerns me. It's the damn roads.
This is spot-on. Logging, in many respects, is essential to forest regeneration. However, carving through these pristine lands for the huge vehicles is extremely devastating.