Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Slow Christmas Sales? BS. Not where I live!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 09:10 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Slow Christmas Sales? BS. Not where I live!

http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/24/news...reut/index.htm

"Late sales rush not so merry
Traffic slower than expected on last day before Christmas; post-holiday results will be key.
December 24, 2005: 6:15 PM EST

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Retailers faced slower-than-expected traffic in stores on the last shopping day before Christmas Saturday as extended hours and steep discounts failed to draw a big crowd of shoppers.

"I don't think the day is the kind of day that retailers thought it would be," said Britt Beemer, head of America's Research Group, which surveys consumer spending habits. "Christmas Eve is seldom the big day because of the fact that so many consumers ... want to be home."

Stores were counting on strong demand on Saturday to make up for solid but unspectacular sales so far this holiday season. The Saturday before Christmas has become the busiest shopping day of the year as consumers hold out for last-minute discounts."

I don't know about where y'all are from, but our stores are jammed. Also, the think about how everything is manufactured in China... they better be deep discounting!
Old 12-26-2005, 11:19 AM

Car Info: Sline
No offence, but I think this would be more appropriate for your designated "Regional Thread"
Old 12-26-2005, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by jvick125
No offence, but I think this would be more appropriate for your designated "Regional Thread"
I think the region is the U.S., no? My point is that I think U.S. Christmas Season sales are good, but it's probably shopping habits that have changed (if anything has changed). There are also lots of articles to the contrary.. just wondering if there's something political going on.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:36 PM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
I think the region is the U.S., no?
Yeah, I thought that after I posted but was too lazy to edit, and wasn't sure how large of an area u were asking about. Anyway.

Last edited by jvick125; 12-26-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:40 AM

Yeah, well I guess this whole topic is boring, but it's just an example of how news outlet doing a play by play critique of the season. Now they are saying it was fantastic:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10606299/

Holiday spending seen up 8.7 percent
Shoppers go hunting for post-Christmas deals
MSNBC News Services
Updated: 7:39 a.m. ET Dec. 27, 2005
NEW YORK - U.S. consumers spent 8.7 percent more during the just ended holiday shopping period than in the comparable period a year ago, according to a report from an affiliate of MasterCard International, the Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition on Monday
Old 12-27-2005, 08:53 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...is this the first year you've watched the news this time of year? They do this all the time...it's something to use as filler that is unique to this time of year. I wouldn't let it get you worked up.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
My point is that I think U.S. Christmas Season sales are good, but it's probably shopping habits that have changed (if anything has changed).
Absolutely.

These types of articles sure do make the economy look weak in this respect, don't they? You know damn well Bush popped into the writer and editor's head at least once when doing this report.

I don't know about the rest of you but I spent a lot this Christmas at just under two thousand dollars (two special gifts, gifts for my usual family, and a trip to Chicago to give gifts to my wife's full family). What the article doesn't take into consideration are internet sales and how the internet allows you to shop earlier than the old fashioned way come black Friday.

From my gift receipt totals I easily have 75-80% of my purchases done from online merchants. My Christmas shopping was complete a week before Halloween with the exception of my 4yr old nephew who didn't give me his list until early December.

Well, time to go to the Navy Pier for a bite. Later.

Last edited by Salty; 12-27-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:35 AM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
I only bought gifts for my son.

[/scrooge]