Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Freeman: 'black history is American history’

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Freeman: 'black history is American history’

I have always considered Morgan Freeman one of my all-time favorite actors and narrators. He is now at the top as far as I’m concerned

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634/

Freeman calls Black History Month ‘ridiculous’

NEW YORK - Morgan Freeman says the concept of a month dedicated to black history is "ridiculous."

"You're going to relegate my history to a month?" the 68-year-old actor says in an interview on CBS' "60 Minutes" to air Sunday (7 p.m. EST). "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history." ...

Freeman notes there is no "white history month," and says the only way to get rid of racism is to "stop talking about it."
Absolutely.

This is my stance on every racial barrier all the way to affirmative action. These types of things only work for segregation. It keeps the racial barrier barely alive so people can resort to it when they feel victimized.

Won’t be long till the righteous race baiters of this country slap the “sold out” label on Freeman like they did for Cosby.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Salty
I have always considered Morgan Freeman one of my all-time favorite actors and narrators. He is now at the top as far as I’m concerned

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10482634/

Absolutely.

This is my stance on every racial barrier all the way to affirmative action. These types of things only work for segregation. It keeps the racial barrier barely alive so people can resort to it when they feel victimized.

Won’t be long till the righteous race baiters of this country slap the “sold out” label on Freeman like they did for Cosby.
Agree 100%
Old 12-19-2005, 04:29 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
I agree with Freeman.

But....if he was a member on this board, he would be having some frank discussions about asinine statements made by several members here.

"stop talking about it" cuts both ways, no?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
He's saying we shouldn't talk go around opening up old wounds, but I'd be sure he'd want things to be done to make that possible, like getting rid of racist diversity programs and affirmative action.

I like him.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:31 PM

It would be interesting to read the entire interview. I have the feeling he's going to issuing a clarification soon.

He does say (with disbelief) "you're gonna relagate my history to a month?"

"Black history is American history"

It seems to me that the subtext is the necessity for black history to be taught as part and parcel of American history.

Much of the problem of racism lies in a frank ignorance of the issues of cultural diversity and the effects that our history has wrought on subsets of the American populace i.e. second and third generation japanese americans and their cultural viewpoints as related to the internment of their families after 1941.....just an example, but it extends to many subsets of our citizenry....Native Americans, Blacks, hispanics, etc....It's important stuff, although many would have us believe otherwise.

"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

Albert Einstein

"The fiery trial through which we pass will light us down in honor or dishonor to the latest generation. We say we are for the Union. The world will not forget that we say this. We, even we here, hold the power and bear the responsibility. In giving freedom to the slave we assure freedom to the free - honorable alike in what we give and what we preserve. We shall nobly save or meanly lose the last best hope of earth."

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-19-2005, 05:48 PM
VIP Member

The idea of Black History is something that doesn't offend me. I welcome the idea of Black history just as I welcome the history of every other ethnicity and culture. What offends me is how Black history is forced into the limelight like some crazed fan trying to get an autograph at the front of the book signing. Keep American History to just that... you can soak up all the Black, Chinese, European, gay, and women History you didn’t get a chance to cover in elementary school during college. Get a Ph.D in it for all I care! Or you can get it from a book at any age which can easily be obtained from any library if you so desire.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:19 PM

Well I wonder what he'd think about American companies that have made the Presidents Day Holiday optional in order to add MLK day??
Old 12-19-2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Well I wonder what he'd think about American companies that have made the Presidents Day Holiday optional in order to add MLK day??
I wonder if this scenario is an actual one, or if you're just pulling "facts" our of your ***.....again.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:07 PM

Every single one of Freeman's political donations have been to black democrats. How do we feel about that?

http://www.newsmeat.com/celebrity_po...an_Freeman.php
Old 12-19-2005, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

Way to revert back... you highlight "black" like we care. They're just democrats, right? You may not be racist but you sure do like to label people.

What does that have to do with this particular opinion? So his money goes to Democrats? I have always know he was a Democrat at least.

Last edited by Salty; 12-19-2005 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Started with an "M" instead of "W"
Old 12-19-2005, 09:15 PM

May to revert back... you highlight "black" like we care. They're just democrats, right? You may not be racist but you sure do like to label people.

What does that have to do with this particular opinion? So his money goes to Democrats? I have always know he was a Democrat at least.

I just think it's interesting, given that Freeman's words are being used to decry affirmative action, that all of Freeman's political contributions have been given to african americans.

What the hell does "may to revert back" mean?
Old 12-19-2005, 10:08 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Keep American History to just that... you can soak up all the Black, Chinese, European, gay, and women History you didn’t get a chance to cover in elementary school during college. Get a Ph.D in it for all I care! Or you can get it from a book at any age which can easily be obtained from any library if you so desire.

I think that's the exact opposite sentimate to Freeman's quote. From what I gather, I believe Morgan was saying that we should have all learned all of black history during elementary school while we were learning about American history, because they are one and the same. I'm sure he'd think similarly about the historys of the other minority groups you mention as well.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by MVWRX
I think that's the exact opposite sentimate to Freeman's quote. From what I gather, I believe Morgan was saying that we should have all learned all of black history during elementary school while we were learning about American history, because they are one and the same. I'm sure he'd think similarly about the historys of the other minority groups you mention as well.
I agree. I think if Freeman was participating in this discussion, Salty, Oaf, and Hella would be getting a hard verbal *****slapping.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by lojasmo
I wonder if this scenario is an actual one, or if you're just pulling "facts" our of your ***.....again.
The fortune 500 co where I work... that's all I can say at the moment.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
The fortune 500 co where I work... that's all I can say at the moment.
Ah...one piece of unverifiable anectodal "evidence"

I guess that's about par for the course.

Quick Reply: Freeman: 'black history is American history’