Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

The Schiavo Case

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 07:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
The Schiavo Case

So why hasn't anybody spouted off on this topic yet?

I mean as far as the current situation with Congress and the GWB putting together a law for her situation.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty concerned that congress and lawmakers are getting involved in our personal liberty to decide on such matters. But, I'll admit that I haven't read everything on the story.

My biggest thing is that the parents say that she can be rehabilitated but the court appointed doctors say that she has no chance.

How do the obviously emotionally charged parents know more than the doctors? Personally, I wouldn't want to live life as a veggie.

Oh and the other ironic thing that I read is that she is in this condition because of an eating disorder and now they are force feeding her to keep her alive...pretty funky.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:37 PM

I need to find some pictures of how her scans look. I saw some she will never be back to normal. Pluss on top of all this she had expressed to her husband that she did not want to be kept a live if such a situation arose. I'll go hunt down those pictures.... it shows a big chunk of her brain missing.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:42 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Does anybody else think removing the feeding tube until she's almost dead, and then putting it back is inhumane?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:56 PM

She can't feel it to be honest. She has sever brain damage. Here are the pictures that I found. (I saw them some where else but I don't have the time to look them up.) http://www.amptoons.com/blog/archive...chiavos-brain/
I suggest you read through the blog. Some intresting point of views and I agree most with the last person that writes on there.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:52 AM
VIP Member

I think the saddest thing of all is that Congress got involved in it.

They make all these BS arguments as to why they did it but most people realize that these guys are just doing it to get more votes. Republicans and Democrats are both guilty to succumbing to this BS and wasting our tax money by having an emergency weekend session, an emergency presidential trip and a whole bunch more court dates for something that SHOULD have been handled in court ONLY.

I'm really ashamed of our elected officials and things like this remind me why politics is a profession that I quit.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I find the whole matter rather creepy. I would otherwise agree with euthanasia but not when the woman is responsive to family. It's not like she's in a coma with an ecmo machine and respirator. Not only that but there's a capable party (the woman's immediate family) wanting to take care of her.

Although what the husband may me saying is true there's really no way to prove this. Unless I've missed some type of written statement from the woman prior to the accident, they're basically going off hearsay which holds absolutely no water. He may be the guardian but something about it reeks of wanting 100% of your dead uncles estate when there was no will.

Given the fact it's just a feeding tube, the woman is responsive to family and there's a willing party wanting to take care of her, what do you suppose triggered these husbands thoughts? I bet she’s really been a thorn in his side after 15yrs. I wonder which part of those 15yrs were harder? The initial weeks when mental shock was of the essence or around year 10 when he wanted to play the field again?

I think this is especially true given the fact her family wants to take full responsibility of her. Nothing would be more awkward for the husband than to visit your ex-wife with a new girlfriend or wife on your shoulder. I think reality really took hold of this guy like severely retarded children takes over parents lives. The only difference is that you can leave your disabled wife for a more capable body.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:51 AM
VIP Member

Yeah it's creepy alright.

I believe the doctors in this case...she isn't gonna recover. The "person" or at least the cognitive portion of her mind is gone. She still interacts on some level but I doubt any of that is cognitive like being able to communicate or know what is going on. She is basically a vegetable.

Well there WAS a million dollar malpractice award to her in a prior case but I would think that money is all used up.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:43 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bpang1
Yeah it's creepy alright.

I believe the doctors in this case...she isn't gonna recover. The "person" or at least the cognitive portion of her mind is gone. She still interacts on some level but I doubt any of that is cognitive like being able to communicate or know what is going on. She is basically a vegetable.

Well there WAS a million dollar malpractice award to her in a prior case but I would think that money is all used up.
Not sure how true it is but supposedly her family, friends, visitors and lawyers say she's "Very Much Alive and Responsive."
Old 03-22-2005, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
i think the reason no one has spouted off about this yet is because it's been an on-going thing for 15 years or so, and only recently has become a major news story.

i honestly have no idea who i would side with, parents or husband, and who's opinion is more morally proper.

however, i do find it somewhat disturbing that the federal government thinks it has the right to supersede the husbands right to make the final decision about his wife's future. IMHO, the husband is the foremost authority on his wife's wishes. certain things are shared with one's spouse that are not shared with parents.

personally, i don't look at this with the perspective of "what if my wife was a vegetable, who should make the decision, me or her parents"; i look at it as "if i were a vegetable, who should make the decision, my wife or my parents". and I would most definitely want my wife making that call.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:38 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by bpang1
Supposedly, the husband claimed he needed money for costly rehab work that is done on people with such conditions to help them communicate... he got the money and never spent a dime using it to help her communicate.

Also, when she had her heart attack, he stood by when her heart was stopped for 5 minutes... and he was trained in CPR! She had bruises and fractured bones... sounds fishy to me.

Whatever the truth is, it is inhumane to starve any living, feeling human being.
You wouldn't even treat a pet like that! If she were indeed brain dead, I "might" think otherwise.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Supposedly, the husband claimed he needed money for costly rehab work that is done on people with such conditions to help them communicate... he got the money and never spent a dime using it to help her communicate.

Also, when she had her heart attack, he stood by when her heart was stopped for 5 minutes... and he was trained in CPR! She had bruises and fractured bones... sounds fishy to me.
interesting.

Whatever the truth is, it is inhumane to starve any living, feeling human being. You wouldn't even treat a pet like that! If she were indeed brain dead, I "might" think otherwise.
This is the part the troubles me.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Did any of you bother clicking on the link I gave? She has no chance and I mean NO chance of ever coming out of it. If anything her parents are living in a dream world. This isn't a husband who wants her wife dead for money or anything like that. This guy has made HUGE and I mean HUGE efforts to see her wishes through instead of just walking away. He was offered 10 million dollars, thats right 10 million dollars to walk away. He didn't. He also became a nurse so that he could be with her and try to help her.

Whatever the truth is, it is inhumane to starve any living, feeling human being. You wouldn't even treat a pet like that! If she were indeed brain dead, I "might" think otherwise.
She won't feel a thing. She is brain dead. Go look at the picture on that link I gave. She is a empty shell, honestly would any of you like to live like this? Can you really even call it living?

Alot of miss information is being passed around by people that want the parents wishes to happen. I got a call from a family friend about this case and she said tons of things which were just not true. (I spent sometime to do some background reading after she called me because of the things she was saying just didn't add up. She told me her husband was abusive and thats "proably" why she was in the comma. While infact it was because of her bulimia.) I could go on but this woman did not wish to be kept alive and had told her husband this. On top of this the courts have decide time and time again that her husband has the final word. But this after several doctors testified that infact she will never return back to normal. You can't regrow a brain you know.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Not sure how true it is but supposedly her family, friends, visitors and lawyers say she's "Very Much Alive and Responsive."

Thats all bull****. She basically does what our body does unconsciously, this woman is far far far from alive and responsive.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
this is indeed an interesting case. for those who saw Million Dollar Baby (cool flick), there are some strong parallels. Esp. when you bring faith into the picture.

Sadly, this has become another BS divisive issue. It really shouldnt be that way.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:38 PM

I find the whole matter rather creepy. I would otherwise agree with euthanasia but not when the woman is responsive to family. It's not like she's in a coma with an ecmo machine and respirator. Not only that but there's a capable party (the woman's immediate family) wanting to take care of her.
Bleh answered this before. Sorry weird format on how I responded to quotes.

Although what the husband may me saying is true there's really no way to prove this. Unless I've missed some type of written statement from the woman prior to the accident, they're basically going off hearsay which holds absolutely no water. He may be the guardian but something about it reeks of wanting 100% of your dead uncles estate when there was no will.
There is no estate that he will gain from this. This guy has done everything possible to make sure his wife wishes go through. He is almost out of money too. The easiest thing for him to do was just to walk away, but he hasn't. And yes your correct no written statement was made. But the husband has last say on what happens. This has always been so no idea why its going to change now.

Given the fact it's just a feeding tube, the woman is responsive to family and there's a willing party wanting to take care of her, what do you suppose triggered these husbands thoughts? I bet she’s really been a thorn in his side after 15yrs. I wonder which part of those 15yrs were harder? The initial weeks when mental shock was of the essence or around year 10 when he wanted to play the field again?
She isn't really responding to her family. She can't that part of her brain is gone. Answered this in a earlier post. Again sorry for the formatt. The husband is doing what his wife wanted him to do. She told him she didn't want to live like this and can you blame her? Who would? Oh and he already has another women in his life and I believe children.

I think this is especially true given the fact her family wants to take full responsibility of her. Nothing would be more awkward for the husband than to visit your ex-wife with a new girlfriend or wife on your shoulder. I think reality really took hold of this guy like severely retarded children takes over parents lives. The only difference is that you can leave your disabled wife for a more capable body.
He is doing what his wife wanted him too. He wants her to die in a dignified like she wanted too. His wife is just a shell this guy had 10 million dollars as a reason to walk away and he didn't. I think it has way more to do with what she wanted than what he wants.

Quick Reply: The Schiavo Case