Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Salty's Fake-Sniffing Extravaganza'

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
You were in the reserves? Care to back that up like everyone else that's served here? Not trying to single you out. If you can prove it then you have my respect. Oaf, myself, gpatmac, svx and a handful of others have.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:43 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Oaf
Not quite a false dichotomy, as both questions are based on factual events that are mutually exclusive.
I don't think they are mutually exclusive either, but they are/were both bad decisions, so what was your point?

Originally Posted by Oaf
If what you've said is true, then Rummy should answer for it.
Rummy should be held to answer for a lot of things

a few of us from both sides of these debates have been saying that for a long time now...

Originally Posted by Oaf
The person/people at DoD/Pentagon that have not done what Congress told them to do need to explain themselves.
If heads need to roll, so be it.
Is the world coming to an end? I agree with Oaf!?
uh-oh!
Old 10-02-2005, 04:35 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by Oaf
Not quite a false dichotomy, as both questions are based on factual events that are mutually exclusive
Morton's Fork is an expression that describes a choice between two equally unpleasant alternatives, or two lines of reasoning that lead to the same unpleasant conclusion. It is analogous to the expressions "between the devil and the deep sea" or "from the frying pan to the fire".

The expression originates from a policy of tax collection devised by John Morton, Lord Chancellor 1487, under the rule of Henry VII. His approach was that if the subject lived in luxury and had clearly spent a lot of money on himself, he obviously had sufficient income to spare for the king. Alternatively, if the subject lived frugally, and showed no sign of being wealthy, he must have had substantial savings and could therefore afford to give it to the king. These arguments were the two prongs of the fork and regardless of whether the subject was rich or poor, he didn't have a favourable choice.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:00 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Actually the thing that comes to my mind in current events regarding the term false dichotomy is the argument that people who are opposed to the invasion of Iraq are "Saddam Supporters",

as if the only way to remove Saddam from power was the way we've done it so far- not enough troops, insufficient armor, no plan for protecting utilities, museums and other crucial public works or any anticipation of the growing insurgency- the civilian "croney command" at DoD seem to have jumped into this war with no idea how to go about "winning the peace".

I really don't think any of the problems are the troops fault, even a lot of the higher ups in the military Chain of Command are doing the best with what they've been given.

But the yahoo's who are approving torture and dreaming up this insane imperalistic scheme for policing the world by brute force while reaping obscene profits at the direct expense of innocent people's suffering and dying really need to be held accountable. Heads should indeed roll.

But hey, if we just stay the course its all going to get better, the guys in charge say so!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by psoper
Actually the thing that comes to my mind in current events regarding the term false dichotomy is the argument that people who are opposed to the invasion of Iraq are "Saddam Supporters"
Here's a documented "Saddam supporter" who definately was not opposed to the war.

<besthomersimpson>That's Rummy! Mmmmm, Rummy!</besthomersimpson>

Last edited by lojasmo; 10-02-2005 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:35 PM

Car Info: Sline
That's an OLD picture. I got one too...

Remember that this is a joke, lojasmo.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:43 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
lajasmo... you gotta stay on safe **** sites. youve got this weird bug thats showing links throughout your articulate responses
Old 10-20-2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by dub2w
lajasmo... you gotta stay on safe **** sites. youve got this weird bug thats showing links throughout your articulate responses
Dunno. Perhaps it's firefox, though I'd guess it's got something to do with the forum software.
vehicle, car, truck, boat, civic

Hmm....must be my mac/firefox.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:56 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...no it's the forums...smart ads or whatever. There's a thread about it in the suggestions forum...