Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Proposition K- Yes or No

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX wagon
There are way too many variables that would change by voting yes on K to make decision so quickly.

One would have to read the proposition and take into account if it was written well enough to consider impacts of a growing sex industry in SF.

What about crime,tax,tourism,costs involved in controlling what would be a booming industry?

No offence to those who spoke previously, but to just answer yes is not making an educated decision. (Disregard this if you have read the documents and researched impacts of other cultures and cities that passed such a law).

Just my opinion.

No on 8 for sure. I grew up in a very strong religious family, but we are dealing with constitutional rights. Human rights will not take presidence over religious protection/rights, they will have equal protection under the law.

Last edited by matthepcat; 10-24-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:22 PM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Originally Posted by Shayhan27
Yes on 8 instead of legalizing gay marriage why dont we create a union for gays and lesbians so they can collect the benefits without actually calling it marriage? IMO
oh boy someone needs to read up on ish more...
Old 10-24-2008, 02:23 PM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Prostitution is decriminalized in a few other areas of the US and it seems to be working so far, thats my justification for voting yes on it if I lived in SF.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:23 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
I was too lazy to read through the other post but this is my thoughts.

Yeah it would be great to free up that money for other **** in SF. But a lot of chicks are forced into it. Even the massage parlors where you can get a "happy ending" most of the time those chicks are forced into it. So if it is legalized those chicks have no chance to escape it. not like now where if it gets busted she has a chance to get away.

In the chronicle a year or 2 ago they had a story abotu this chick from hong kong that used to be a hooker in SF and it gave a lot of insider info of the business and after you read it you just feel bad man that human traffiking is still a huge thing.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:25 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Originally Posted by R-Dub
If that is your opinion, thats fine - however I would argue that you are incorrect.

'Marriage' or the union of two beings in a monogamous relationship has been around LONG before organized religion.

Cave paintings(yes, cave paintings) have depicted 'marriage' in tribal organizations.

And Indians (or Native Americans if you prefer) were marrying (both gay and straight I will add) hundreds of years before Christianity was introduced to them.

Marriage predates religion; and polytheism predates monotheism, so I don't think you can say that a monotheistic religion 'started' marriage.
Good point thank you. I still dont agree, points on religion and marraige noted however.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Irish_car_B0mb
So if it is legalized those chicks have no chance to escape it. not like now where if it gets busted she has a chance to get away.
Well, prostitution might be decriminalized, I don't think that is going to effect laws on human trafficking and forced labor.

In fact, I would like to see some information on forced sex workers if they would feel MORE comfortable in alerting authorities if they are involved with traffickers if prostitution is no longer arrest able(which is what most illegals are most afraid of, especially from countries with corrupt police).

You see what I'm trying to say? I'm tired and don't know if I am making sense.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by KOSTI
oh boy someone needs to read up on ish more...
Why dont you illuminate my world? My point was vote yes on 8 and ban gay marraige. However I do feel there should be some form of leagal binding serimony for homosexuals just dont call it marraige. If you still feel I dont have a grasp on the concept feel free to educate me. I just learned a tremendous amount about marraige two posts ago. You will find me to be very open minded. Maybe do it via PM because I accidently hijacked this thread on Prop K. Maybe we should start a similar thread on prop 8 but I fear it may get a little heated and I would hate to have any intolerant statements occur.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:31 PM

I think a yes on Proposition K would probably backfire.

What do you all think?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM

I think a yes on Proposition K would probably backfire.

What do you all think?
Highly possible. Maybe a few more years of seeing how Las Vegas handles it will be enough to make an educated decision.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Why dont you illuminate my world? My point was vote yes on 8 and ban gay marraige. However I do feel there should be some form of leagal binding serimony for homosexuals just dont call it marraige. If you still feel I dont have a grasp on the concept feel free to educate me. I just learned a tremendous amount about marraige two posts ago. You will find me to be very open minded. Maybe do it via PM because I accidently hijacked this thread on Prop K. Maybe we should start a similar thread on prop 8 but I fear it may get a little heated and I would hate to have any intolerant statements occur.

I am not attacking you.

I want to point out that right now, Gays do have the right to "Union" under "Partnership", which is not "Marriage" of course. That "partnership" provides them with the ability to use their partners benefits, legally.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:34 PM

. However I do feel there should be some form of leagal binding serimony for homosexuals just dont call it marraige.
My sole question is : Why?

Marriage is just a word. Having homosexuals use it doesn't 'hurt' it.

Hell, the USA has a 65% divorce rate - doesn't that sully the word 'marriage' more than having 2 gay men who love each other stay together?

It is just wrong to exclude a group of people to rights that are the freedoms of all peoples - thats the bottom line.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by R-Dub
My sole question is : Why?

Marriage is just a word. Having homosexuals use it doesn't 'hurt' it.

Hell, the USA has a 65% divorce rate - doesn't that sully the word 'marriage' more than having 2 gay men who love each other stay together?

It is just wrong to exclude a group of people to rights that are the freedoms of all peoples - thats the bottom line.

I am just a stubborn narrow minded conservative and not ready. I do agree though everyone deserves equal rights.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:41 PM

I am not attacking you.

I want to point out that right now, Gays do have the right to "Union" under "Partnership", which is not "Marriage" of course. That "partnership" provides them with the ability to use their partners benefits, legally.
I read over my reply and I realise you are not attacking me and didnt mean to word it like I did. Right no in fact in San Francisco they are not calling it a union under partnership they are calling it a marraige and going through the same ritual or serimony that straight people do.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
I dont get why people say gay marriage destroys the sanctity of marriage. People who dont love each other get married all the time. Not to mention plenty of people get divorced, breaking their wedding vows.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:45 PM

I am just a stubborn narrow minded conservative and not ready. I do agree though everyone deserves equal rights.
Not to be a dick but you just said :

If you still feel I dont have a grasp on the concept feel free to educate me. I just learned a tremendous amount about marraige two posts ago. You will find me to be very open minded.
So which is it?

Quick Reply: Proposition K- Yes or No