Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

(PICS) Oscar Grant Protest 1-7-2009

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by CaliSuby

So your saying that he would have to be white for you to start supporting him? Do you understand where these people are coming from? Do you understand their mentality? Whats been put in the head after years of Lynching, rapes, beheadings, burning people alive. Stuff like this triggers everything. Seems like only a person who is not white understands this...but there are alot of good white people who do understand....
I did not know there were lynching trees and public beheading in Oakland now a days.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
[QUOTE=CaliSuby;2485678]
Originally Posted by nachomc
Seriously, I would be extremely surprised if Oscar Grant were white and the Oakland community rioted in the streets for "justice".[/QUOTE

So your saying that he would have to be white for you to start supporting him? Do you understand where these people are coming from? Do you understand their mentality? Whats been put in the head after years of Lynching, rapes, beheadings, burning people alive. Stuff like this triggers everything. Seems like only a person who is not white understands this...but there are alot of good white people who do understand....
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said anything about the guy having to be white for me to support him. If the guy were white, I still wouldn't be up in arms about it.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 AM
BanHammer™

Its obvious that the cop has some personal issues that carried with him...thats why it ended this way!
and you know this for sure how?

if you are just jumping to a conclusion, you are just as bad as the cops were when they passed judgment on the person that was shot.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:46 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
I'm confused, are there more cop shootings then normal in Oakland then elsewhere?

as it is, Oakland has 5x the national averaged for murders, do the cops just go around gunning people down as well?
No no, I'm not speaking on specific terms or of documented cases.

However, you take your average lower SES minority and ask him 'Have you, or anyone you know been the victim of injustice by a LEO?' 9/10 they will answer yes - WHETHER OR NOT IT IS FACTUAL OR BIASED; that is their belief and their feelings toward it.

That has been my experience anyway.

Originally Posted by nachomc
I want to know what the "previous police abuses" are. You have a bunch of people who live in poverty, many of whom commit crimes, and we're taking their word for it.
See above.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 AM
BanHammer™

Originally Posted by R-Dub
However, you take your average lower SES minority and ask him 'Have you, or anyone you know been the victim of injustice by a LEO?' 9/10 they will answer yes - WHETHER OR NOT IT IS FACTUAL OR BIASED; that is their belief and their feelings toward it.
so it sounds like the riots are unjustified then, if this is just peoples belief and not backed by fact.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:51 AM

I cannot think of a riot in this country that has been justified.

Protests = Fine and dandy.

Riots = Unbridled violence to try to get a point (usually unfounded) across.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
No no, I'm not speaking on specific terms or of documented cases.

That has been my experience anyway.

See above.
That's why I quoted "previous abuses"
Old 01-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
Its obvious that the cop has some personal issues that carried with him...thats why it ended this way!
What? It was a mistake that he will pay dearly for. Did you see his reaction after he shot Grant? He couldn't believe what had happened. That doesn't make up for anything, but still, I don't think there were issues that he "carried" with him. How can you just assume that? And, to anyone saying that this has nothing to do with race, and there would be just as much rioting if it were a white victim instead of Grant, you are only lying to yourself.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 AM
BanHammer™

I cannot think of a riot in this country that has been justified.

Protests = Fine and dandy.

Riots = Unbridled violence to try to get a point (usually unfounded) across.
even if it was just a protest (I guess people were still getting out of hand and moving towards the riot end of the spectrum?) I do not understand why they were protesting a crime where someone will be charged with a murder.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 AM

They want the verdict sooner, that is why the initial protest began. People at first were upset because they were not forcing the police officer to give a statement immediately. As far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter anyways, everything is on video. Now, people are just looking for something to complain about and an excuse to act childishly.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 AM

^ +1

Impatience and the want for immediate results are fluent in mob mentality.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:12 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Originally Posted by JArnaud
They want the verdict sooner, that is why the initial protest began. People at first were upset because they were not forcing the police officer to give a statement immediately. As far as I am concerned, it doesn't matter anyways, everything is on video. Now, people are just looking for something to complain about and an excuse to act childishly.

I disagree. Not everyone is looking for an "excuse to act childishly." Like I've said before; just because people are going to protest/vocalize/and gather their thoughts and opinions. It does not mean these people are the one who will be running around causing havoc.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 AM

Agreed. But these protests quickly turn into riots. I have not attended any of them, so I don't know for sure. I am sure the news focuses on the rioting, and not on those that are simply there to have their voices heard. Protesting is fine with me. But don't clog my city streets, backing up traffic. Why should it take me 5 times as long to get home from work. And don't take my police officers away from the city, in order to control the rioting. Finally, don't trash the my neighbor's cars, and don't ruin the storefronts of local businesses who have a hard enough time making their bills as it is. KOSTI, I think we agree, peaceful protesting can be a great tool to have your voice heard. But, when it ends in rioting, it defeats the entire purpose.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by KOSTI
So you think if a young white male was killed in the same fashion. People like myself wouldn't protest/voice their anger over the killing?

I am completely shocked at the level of disrespect you all got. Thats just complete trash........

A human is just that, human. And wrongful deaths such as this are wrong no matter WHAT COLOR/RACE you are.

**** sakes

Well, as I've never met you, I won't start talking for you.

I have no idea if you'd show up to protest a white man being shot in the back by a black cop.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 AM

Car Info: Un Carrito Que Hace Vrooom Phsss!
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
I did not know there were lynching trees and public beheading in Oakland now a days.
Come on man...grow up, you know what i mean. African Americans have been through this in the past. What i meant was that after years of these horrible things happening to them, stuff like this just reminds them of ALL the other unfair issues they have been through. They just cant put up with it, they react diffrently they a typical White American would, history says it all, So put yourself it a colored persons feet. Would you want issues like these to get by without nobody being held responsible? Its happend in the past!!! The cop did carry issues with him!! No normal cop would do this!! He is a or is suppose be a trained proffesional, someone who we can trust with a weopon! He didnt do his job and it cost the life of a young man! Its a fact and people need to get over it and put this fool in jail for life!!!!He was trusted by the Law and a community and FAILED!!! HE TOOK THE LIFE OF ANOTHER PERSON AND THE FATHER OF A YOUNG KID!!! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF THIS WAS YOUR BROTHER? WOULD YOU AS A BROTHER SAY...." IF HE WAS WHITE...." I highly doubt it!

Quick Reply: (PICS) Oscar Grant Protest 1-7-2009