Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Partisanship at its finest

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 05:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Partisanship at its finest

Good article in my local newspaper. This guy is a conservative beat writer here in Detroit.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/editoria...A17-310046.htm

Bush's Katrina dawdling should offend conservatives

By Nolan Finley / The Detroit News

It was suggested last week that I turn in my conservative credentials because I thought Michael Brown ought to be fired for the way he bungled the initial response to the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

If hanging on to those credentials means I have to blindly defend everything President Bush does, then, fine, I'll give them up. That's a bigger job than I want.

If being conservative means I have to turn a blind eye to government mismanagement and incompetence just because a Republican is running the show, then I'll take a hike.

Brown, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, screwed up the response to the New Orleans tragedy. He caught a bad case of the slows. His dawdling and the ineptitude of local and state officials cost lives. Friday, Bush yanked him back to Washington, but the damage was done.

It ought to be OK for conservatives to say that. But the conservative movement's principles have given way to partisanship. The words "conservative" and "Republican" are now interchangeable, and it's more important to protect the party than to hew to core values.

-continued on webpage
A good article from a guy that I really don't agree with much, but in this case I agree with everything in the article.

FEMA and the Federal response was just as screwed up as the local and state response IMHO. If Fox and MSNBC can have 100 people in downtown New Orleans with their own food and water, and people to protect that food and water, why can't relief get there for 3-4 days? Complete incompetence.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:13 AM

Car Info: Sline
He's absolutely right. He does not have to turn in his "conservative credentials", or any credentials at that, just for disagreeing on one issue. There are many conservatives and republicans that agree with this guy. Everyone knows now that Brown screwed up, you don't have to be a liberal or a democrat to think that. I'm not.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:57 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by jvick125
He's absolutely right. He does not have to turn in his "conservative credentials", or any credentials at that, just for disagreeing on one issue. There are many conservatives and republicans that agree with this guy. Everyone knows now that Brown screwed up, you don't have to be a liberal or a democrat to think that. I'm not.
But there are those who will circle the wagons and defend everything about the administration and the party even when it is so blatently wrong on a certain point.

IE. HellaDumb (not to pick on Hella but he seems to almost always put up a defense of a republican even when any level headed person could see that something was wrong)

I just hate the thought that there is no accountability in this administration anymore.

BTW did anyone else see the guy on Live TV when VP Dick was talking about how good the relief efforts were going? Cheney was talking and this guy right in front of the camera in clear live audio said "Go F*ck yourself Mr. Cheney!" Twice. It was hilarious....
Old 09-12-2005, 11:58 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by SilverScoober02
BTW did anyone else see the guy on Live TV when VP Dick was talking about how good the relief efforts were going? Cheney was talking and this guy right in front of the camera in clear live audio said "Go F*ck yourself Mr. Cheney!" Twice. It was hilarious....
Yeah, and I liked how Cheney brushed it off with a laugh along with the reporter and the crew. Made my chuckle.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
But there are those who will circle the wagons and defend everything about the administration and the party even when it is so blatently wrong on a certain point.

IE. HellaDumb (not to pick on Hella but he seems to almost always put up a defense of a republican even when any level headed person could see that something was wrong)

I just hate the thought that there is no accountability in this administration anymore.

i liked how the SS snatched him, and slapped the cuffs on him.. He is an ER doctor that lived down the street in the affluent area cheney was at.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:19 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers

Ok, couldn't resist
So I doubt most people at this point know the exact details of EXACTLY who was to blame for what, but a couple things are obvious:

1) The FEMA guy is a baffoon, and was ineffective even once FEMA was enganged
2) The STATE also shares much of the blame... The state preparation and reaction was disfunctional, there was some delay in handing authority over control to the Feds by the governor, and politics may have played a major roll in this (I understand L.A. was democrat-led)
3) Everybody knows Bush was on vacation, and slow to get involved
4) Democrats will use this to their advantage
5) Republicans and conservatives will defend him
6) There will be fall-guys, and the real causes will never be exposed

oh, and 7) Helladumb will blindly stand by his Commander in Chief
Old 09-12-2005, 05:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Ok, couldn't resist
So I doubt most people at this point know the exact details of EXACTLY who was to blame for what, but a couple things are obvious:

1) The FEMA guy is a baffoon, and was ineffective even once FEMA was enganged
2) The STATE also shares much of the blame... The state preparation and reaction was disfunctional, there was some delay in handing authority over control to the Feds by the governor, and politics may have played a major roll in this (I understand L.A. was democrat-led)
3) Everybody knows Bush was on vacation, and slow to get involved
4) Democrats will use this to their advantage
5) Republicans and conservatives will defend him
6) There will be fall-guys, and the real causes will never be exposed

oh, and 7) Helladumb will blindly stand by his Commander in Chief
hehehe...I agree with everything you said.