Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

OMG Dow Jones Record High!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 03:02 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
OMG Dow Jones Record High!!

Originally Posted by Some Liberal Rag

The Dow Jones industrial average surged past its all-time trading high of 11,750.28 today, taking yet another step in its recovery from seven years of market turmoil.

The index of 30 blue chip stocks fell back in later trading but still managed to achieve a record high close.

The index moved into uncharted territory in early afternoon and climbed as high as 11,758.95 before falling back.

It closed at 11,727.34, eclipsing the previous close of 11,722.98. Both records were set on January 14, 2000.
So, who other than Bush can we give the credit to?
Old 10-03-2006, 04:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Al Gore
Old 10-03-2006, 05:18 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Anybody who ever worked a single day in their life deserves more credit than the smirking chimp called W does

From Reuters:

"It took the Dow Jones industrials nearly seven years to top its last record on Tuesday, but in the eyes of some the new record is "just a number" because slowing economic growth will make future gains even harder to come by.

The 110-year-old Dow <.DJI> rose to 11,758.95, surpassing the intraday record of 11,750.28 set on Jan. 14, 2000, as investors bet on Tuesday that sliding crude oil prices will underpin corporate profits even as economic growth slows.

"It's just a number. It doesn't have the same stocks that it did when it last reached the high and it's not inflation-adjusted,"

So the last time it was this high Bill Clinton was president, and its taken nearly 7 years for this administration to bring us back to that point, wow what an accomplishment!

And look for profit taking tomorrow.....

Last edited by psoper; 10-03-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Barrack Obama? He's a democrat and a minority!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:13 PM
VIP Member

Economy is doing well.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:34 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
Economy is doing well.
NEW YORK (AP) - Job cuts soared last month, topping the 100,000 mark for the first time since last January.

Outplacement firm Challenger, Gray and Christmas says it's the second straight month of increased job cuts, topping the August tally by 54 percent and the level of a year ago by 40 percent.

The increase was led by the auto industry, which announced nearly 34,000 cuts. That was dominated by suppliers who are starting to feel the effects of the production cutbacks at Ford, General Motors and DaimlerChrysler.

There were also sizable increases in the telecommunications and housing industries.

So far this year employers have announced more than 639,000 job cuts, a drop of 18 percent from a year ago.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:59 PM
VIP Member

It is. It's easy to find a lot of bad part in the economy in any year. Rates adjust with the bonds, stocks with trends, etc... Heck, if bonds don't do what I want then housing interest rates increase and i'm screwed. Does that mean the economy is bad? The federal reserve had to stimulate the economy back in 1998. So what? American car makers aren’t doing well to their Japanese counterparts for a huge number of reasons, yet you and I drive Subarus. We’re more to blame than Bush in that respect as I’m certain he’s always owned an American car.

With the fall in oil and gas prices I expect it to get much better. People will stimulate the economy once again.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:03 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Red face

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
So, who other than Bush can we give the credit to?
Seven year low... ah... how long has Bush been in office? I honestly thought in my lifetime I would NEVER see another war as lame as Vietnam... guess what? Here we are again... now it's my children coming home without limbs ~ "At least nobody died when Clinton lied." Pass the towel... we have a bit of a mess!
Old 10-04-2006, 12:03 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by psoper
"It took the Dow Jones industrials nearly seven years to top its last record on Tuesday, but in the eyes of some the new record is "just a number" because slowing economic growth will make future gains even harder to come by.
I like this logic... hasn't the national debt been "just a number" since Truman?

You have to appreciate the absurdity behind this quote... If it were to drop at 8000 tomorrow the next story from the WSJ would be how Saturday night specials jam if you press them too hard to the temple.

Last edited by Salty; 10-04-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:10 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by NW OBS
"At least nobody died when Clinton lied." Pass the towel... we have a bit of a mess!
Oh please.... I liked Clinton but he was no saint either: https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...hlight=clinton

And sorry to hear about your children. How are you and them handling the loss of limbs?

Like this guy: http://greensickle.com/2006/05/fat_lawsuit_1.html

Or maybe this guy? http://www.geocities.com/politicool/marine.jpg

Leave it to a civilian to feel sorry for those that serve. Man, oh man do they hate your sympathy...
Old 10-04-2006, 12:20 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX

First of all I don't agree or disagree with Michael Moore because I haven't really looked into his issues but...

This guy needs to get bent. He is suing for 75 million, that is ridiculous. What is even more amazing is the guys WIFE is suing michael moore for 10 million. WHAT! why does everything come down to suing someone? Why does she need to sue for 10 million? She has no right. The soldier has a right to sue but come on, 75 million dollars?
Old 10-04-2006, 12:25 AM
VIP Member

You're missing the point. But seeing how were on the topic, why not? Dude, it's Michael Moore...
Old 10-04-2006, 06:57 AM

Car Info: Sline
Originally Posted by psoper
NEW YORK (AP) - Job cuts soared last month, topping the 100,000 mark for the first time since last January.

. . . .

So far this year employers have announced more than 639,000 job cuts, a drop of 18 percent from a year ago.
So a substantial drop in the number of job cuts over one year is a sign of a bad economy? I'm confused. I thought less job cuts were good.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
It really is a great play on the soldiers part though. The fact that he lost appendeges will garner him sympathy in the courtroom. While I don't agree with the case I won't feel any bit sorry for Moore if he loses and has to pay this guy a substantial sum of money.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:05 AM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Oh please.... I liked Clinton but he was no saint either: https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...hlight=clinton

And sorry to hear about your children. How are you and them handling the loss of limbs?

Like this guy: http://greensickle.com/2006/05/fat_lawsuit_1.html

Leave it to a civilian to feel sorry for those that serve. Man, oh man do they hate your sympathy...
Never said he was a saint (they are both jerks) and I vote the man not the party. Bush is an ignorant *** hat... we are in a war that Daddy started and has NO point, no links to 911 and no WMD's! Repeat after me I-D-I-O-T!

Ship the troops back where the belong, into Afghanistan...! The F***ing jerk who DID plan 911 is still alive and we never finished our mission ~ Flatten the SOB's!

Sympathy? Nope ~ it's a volunteer army now. You sign you don't whine. Just would be nice if they were serving a purpose instead of an agenda! I served in Special Ops for 4 duties in VN... please don't preach to me about sympathy ~ oh, and YES the draft got me. I didn't sign in.

Last edited by NW OBS; 10-04-2006 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: OMG Dow Jones Record High!!