Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Obama: More school hours

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Car Info: .
Obama: More school hours

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/...us_more_school

I don't think more classroom time is the problem. The problem lies in the meltdown of the basic family structure and lack of parental involvement in their children's lives.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:19 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090927/...us_more_school

I don't think more classroom time is the problem. The problem lies in the meltdown of the basic family structure and lack of parental involvement in their children's lives.
More time isn't the answer.
More quality instruction is the answer.

Most parent's look at school as free daycare.
Most teachers have to teach to the lowest common denominator which means that most kids get a mediocre education.

All three of my children are A students.
While their natural abilities play a role in their grades, the curriculum is sorely lacking; they complete weekly homework assignments in 2 days, etc.

My son loves to read...and reads at a higher level than the average 5th grader.
I suggested that he pick out harder/higher grade level books to challenge his mind.
The problem with that is his school has a policy prohibiting 1st-6th graders from reading 7th and up books; these books might contain "adult" language.

The admin won't let me sign a waiver, allowing my son to read these forbidden books.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
sweet if i make it up there to nor cal your son and i can talk about books

i majored in comparative literature w00t eggheads!
Old 09-28-2009, 10:52 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by sigma pi
i majored in comparative literature w00t eggheads!

gay
Old 09-29-2009, 05:16 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
more hours is funny cause you know what here in hawaii, starting oct 23rd our kinds will have fridays off b/c our state can't afford to pay the teachers and our that deep in the hole. so its 3day weekends from then on.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
more hours is funny cause you know what here in hawaii, starting oct 23rd our kinds will have fridays off b/c our state can't afford to pay the teachers and our that deep in the hole. so its 3day weekends from then on.
Cut welfare.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Cut welfare.
GENIUS! That will solve all the problems of education and therefore, crime.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:04 PM

More time isn't the answer.
More quality instruction is the answer
More quality instruction= Paying teachers more, so the good ones don't go into business, and free university education for people willing to teach.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:41 PM

Car Info: Nadda
China has a lot of schools, but they have time for it. Their parents actually take pride in grades. People who are here tend to look at education = money. Money is somehow the priority and there are plenty of ways to make money without a degree.

It's funny how this degree notion is something that shows us that we can handle a higher paying task. IMO, our country is so low in degrees China's high school kids would be running our operations.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:42 PM

Car Info: Nadda
The admin won't let me sign a waiver, allowing my son to read these forbidden books.
'Tis why you just buy him/rent him the books from the library, have him read his own ****, expand his mind faster than school is allowing him to
Old 09-30-2009, 07:30 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by horsecut54
GENIUS! That will solve all the problems of education and therefore, crime.
Do research, son.

To match the value of welfare benefits, a mother with two children would have to earn as much as $36,400 in Hawaii or as little as $11,500 in Mississippi.

* In New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Alaska, and Rhode Island, welfare pays more than a $12.00-an-hour job--or more than two and a half times the minimum wage.

* In 40 states welfare pays more than an $8.00-an-hour job. In 17 states the welfare package is more generous than a $10.00-an-hour job.

* Welfare benefits are especially generous in large cities. Welfare provides the equivalent of an hourly pretax wage of $14.75 in New York City, $12.45 in Philadelphia, $11.35 in Baltimore, and $10.90 in Detroit.

* In 9 states welfare pays more than the average first-year salary for a teacher. In 29 states it pays more than the average starting salary for a secretary. In 47 states welfare pays more than a janitor earns. Indeed, in the 6 most generous states, benefits exceed the entry-level salary for a computer programmer.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:01 PM

Got a couple of friends on unemployment right now, cause they were laid off by corporate ******... They dont make that I can guarantee you. Secondly, I don't listen to information from right wing think tanks such as cato, heritage foundation, aei, or any of the like. I know what their motives are, and frankly they don't give a **** about you either. (I am assuming of course that you are not a millionaire...)

Everyday I am astounded on how the politics forum here is dominated by Fox Noise. You all run around like little automatons for Rupert Murdoch. Like the recent children sign to Obama... That was seven months ago, and no one complained until fox dug it out of the internet somewhere and created hysteria. Just like with the Tea Party protests, they were created by Freedom Works, the PR company of the republican party. TURN OFF FOX NEWS IT IS RUINING your logic, your humanity, and your basic intelligence. The reason why schools are under-performing is because we hate intelligence, and we manifest ignorance in this country. And letting people starve that are on welfare, when there is a 20% unemployment rate is a ridiculous, hateful, and IMO a criminal act.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:09 PM

And one more thing... I see you with military pictures on your profile all the time. The military is the BIGGEST form of Big Government. We spend well over 55% of our tax dollars on the military. Thats why we dont have health care, thats why our infrastructure is failing, that is why the world hates us, (and therefore why we have to have such a large military), it is why our schools suck, our roads suck, our major industries suck too. (japan and germany are not allowed to have standing military, or manufacturer heavy military arms, no wonder their cars are better all their engineers are working on USEFUL things)

We as a nation could have all of these things, cheap or free college education, which would help that welfare problem you speak of, health care, and a flourishing infrastructure if we would just stop creating a military industrial complex. Eisenhower was a pretty smart guy to warn us of the power of the military industrial complex, if he said that today, he would end up in a coffin.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:03 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

We should be spending more on the military, as that's one of the main reasons for having our gov't.
I do not want the gov't providing my healthcare, redistributing the money I work for, to those few that habitually can't make it on their own.

Again, I suggest that you do some reserch:

German cars are better than X cars?
Clearly, you don not own a new German car.
They are ****, from a maintenece cost point of view.

Do you know what the Bundeswehr
is?
Obviously not, judging from your "japan and germany are not allowed to have standing military" comment.

The Bundeswehr has 200,500 professional soldiers...
If that's not a standing army, I don't know what is.

You probably haven't heard of Carl Walther Sportwaffenfabrik, which, surprise!, is a German weapons manufacture.
So is Heckler & Koch.
So is MBB/ Eurocopter.
So is Diamler Benz.

The Military Industrial Complex is wrong; only weapons systems that the military needs should be procured.
Lobbyists selling weapons is just silly.

Currently, the national unemployment rate is ~9.5%
Nonfarm payroll employment continued to decline in August (-216,000),
and the unemployment rate rose to 9.7 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor
Statistics reported today. Although job losses continued in many of the
major industry sectors in August, the declines have moderated in recent
months.
Yes, it is higher in some parts of the country.

In California, $450/wk is the maximum payment from Unemployment Insurance.

$450/wk X 4wks/month = $1800/month.
40hrs/wk X 4wks/month = 160hrs/month.

$1800/month / 160hrs/month = $11.25/hr, state tax free.

Which = $21,600 yr, state tax free.
Throw in food stamps, Medicaid, etc, and you got it made.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
yeah dude no kidding. one of my boy lost his job and was getting unemployment checks for almost a year, he was "earning' more than most people around him. its not as much compared to what he was getting paid before but getting 2k a month for doing nothing, that can't be beaten.

Quick Reply: Obama: More school hours