Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

NY Gov to tax the poor, the fat.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
NY Gov to tax the poor, the fat.

Tax the fat!

A can of Coke could soon cost New Yorkers more than just calories.

Gov. Paterson, as part of a $121 billion budget to be unveiled Tuesday, will propose an "obesity tax" of about 15% on nondiet drinks.

This means a Diet Coke might sell for a $1 - even as the same size bottle of its calorie-rich alter ego would go for $1.15.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:21 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
i love this..... but really, is this guy serious?
Old 12-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I think it's awesomely hilarious

It won't happen though.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:10 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I think it's awesomely hilarious

It won't happen though.
That's what I thought with cigarettes...
Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Meep Meep!
Time for some non-diet moonshine
Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
eat the rich.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
+1
NY has taken to CA concepts and blown it up. Cigs, Coffee, Soft drinks, fast foods, gas guzzlers, water consumption, heating fuel consumption, business, all of which are taxed or controlled by the state in one way or another. The sad part is most of NY state is located outside of NYC. The money flows up the Hudson to Albany and that's as far as it goes. New York State which was once peppered with business and commerce has turned into a govt. reliant welfare state. Companies that once provided jobs were taxed out of business in NY. Crysler, Kodak, Carrier, Crucible, Allied. All packed up and left when NY taxed all of the profit out of their business. Unfortunately many of the people who live there that have been directly affected by this don't understand that the wool has been pulled over their eyes.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Cereal?

I don't see health nuts having the same arguement. 2nd hand smoke is indeed bad for people, and it's forcing people to inhale smoke. I don't see how someone drinking a coke is going to adversly affect the health of another person who drinks diet. I don't know, I don't feel its gonna happen.

As much as drinking liquid sugar is indeed awful for people, i don't think they can tax it like they did cigarettes.

Then again, maybe the point of the tax, to deter smoking or in this case drinking sugary drinks, isn't to stop people from drinking sweet stuff cause it hurts others... rather, it's to stop stupid people from killing themselves (slowly).

Hmmm... I think you're right, they might just pass this.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Cereal?

I don't see health nuts having the same arguement. 2nd hand smoke is indeed bad for people, and it's forcing people to inhale smoke. I don't see how someone drinking a coke is going to adversly affect the health of another person who drinks diet. I don't know, I don't feel its gonna happen.

As much as drinking liquid sugar is indeed awful for people, i don't think they can tax it like they did cigarettes.

Then again, maybe the point of the tax, to deter smoking or in this case drinking sugary drinks, isn't to stop people from drinking sweet stuff cause it hurts others... rather, it's to stop stupid people from killing themselves (slowly).

Hmmm... I think you're right, they might just pass this.
Wrong and wrong... The point of this tax is because it is sure revenue. Example. People who drink coke are not going to start drinking diet because of a tax. They are going to keep drinking coke because they like it. Smokes, same thing, people who smoke are not going to stop smoking because of the tax, they are going to continue to smoke until they decide to stop. The govt can guarantee that every year they will lose this many smokers, and gain this many new smokers. Don't even think they do it for health reasons. If it was a serious health concern and not a guarantee revenue source, tobacco would be handled the same as weed. They can't count on revenue from a non-addictive substance. There is certainly a method to their maddness.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
I like this tax lol
Old 12-16-2008, 09:27 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by medicSTi
I like this tax lol
I don't. Eating healthy should be due to an educated decision, not because the government makes you pay extra for not doing it.

Talk about the blind leading the blind.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
it's not a bad idea as obesity causes undue financial strain on the healthcare industry, and a good portion of uninsured people get government assistance. misguided, but not a bad idea. even diet soda can cause as many health problems as non-diet soda. juice can lead to problems as well.

maybe food should finally be taxed? i don't know how other states but in california, unprepared foods (like from the grocery store) are not taxed.

<- is a fatty, agrees with use based taxes, doesn't drink much soda

Last edited by RussB; 12-16-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by RussB
it's not a bad idea as obesity causes undue financial strain on the healthcare industry, and a good portion of uninsured people get government assistance. misguided, but not a bad idea. even diet soda can cause as many health problems as non-diet soda. juice can lead to problems as well.

maybe food should finally be taxed? i don't know how other states but in california, unprepared foods (like from the grocery store) are not taxed.

<- is a fatty, agrees with use based taxes, doesn't drink much soda
i agree tax soda tax candy

if i have to pay for fatty's health care i want him to pay for some of it too
Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by sigma pi
i agree tax soda tax candy

if i have to pay for fatty's health care i want him to pay for some of it too
Not everyone who drinks soda or eats candy is a fatty, yet alone a fatty with health problems. That's bull****.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:49 AM
VIP Member

The govt. could care less about your health. All they care about is generating revenue.

Quick Reply: NY Gov to tax the poor, the fat.