Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

No says Berkeley

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:28 PM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
No says Berkeley

What do guys think of this non-sense? It just kills me and I am not a military guy, but a bunch of my relatives are including my dad that retired from the Navy. I hope that place goes under water.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_8127493?source=rss

Berkeley gives Marines the boot
City Council says recruiting station not welcome; military mum for now
By Doug Oakley, STAFF WRITER
Article Created: 01/31/2008 02:42:43 AM PST

FORUM
Join a reader discussion about Berkeley's ban on the Marine recruiting center
BERKELEY — Hey-hey, ho-ho, the Marines in Berkeley have got to go.
That's the message from the Berkeley City Council, which voted 6-3, with Gordon Wozniak, Betty Olds and Kriss Worthington dissenting, to tell the Marines that its Shattuck Avenue recruiting station "is not welcome in the city, and if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome intruders."

It also voted 7-2, with Wozniak and Olds dissenting, to explore enforcing its law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation against the Marines and to encourage the women's peace group Code Pink to protest in front of the station.

In a separate item, the council voted 8-1 to give Code Pink a designated parking space in front of the recruiting station once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week from noon to 4 p.m.

Councilman Gordon Wozniak opposed both items.

The Marines have been in Berkeley for a little more than a year, having moved from Alameda in December 2006. For about the past four months, Code Pink has been protesting in front of the station.

"I believe in the Code Pink cause. The Marines don't belong here, they shouldn't have come here, and they should leave," Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates said after votes were cast.

A Marines representative did not respond to requests for comment.The resolution telling the Marines they are unwelcome and directing the city attorney to explore issues of sexual orientation discrimination was brought to the council by the city's Peace and Justice commission.
The recommendation to give Code Pink a parking space for protesting and a free sound permit was brought by council members Linda Maio and Max Anderson.

Code Pink on Wednesday started circulating petitions to put a measure on the November ballot in Berkeley that would make it more difficult to open military recruiting offices near homes, parks, schools, churches libraries or health clinics. The group needs 5,000 signatures to make the ballot.

Even though the council items passed, not everyone is happy with the work of Code Pink. Some employees and owners of businesses near the Marines office have had enough of the group and its protests.

"My husband's business is right upstairs, and this (protesting) is bordering on harassment," Dori Schmidt told the council. "I hope this stops."

An employee of a nearby business who asked not to be identified said Wednesday the elderly Code Pink protesters are aggressive, take up parking spaces, block the sidewalk with their yoga moves, smoke in the doorways, and are noisy.

"Most of the people around here think they're a joke," the woman said.

Wozniak said he was opposed to giving Code Pink a parking space because it favors free speech rights of one group over another.

"There's a line between protesting and harassing, and that concerns me," Wozniak said. "It looks like we are showing favoritism. We have to respect the other side, and not abuse their rights. This is not good policy."

Fran Rachel, 90, a Code Pink protester who spoke at the council meeting, said the group's request for a parking space and noise permit was especially important because the Marines are recruiting soldiers who may die in an unjust war.

"This is very serious," Rachel said. "This isn't a game; it's mass murder. There's a sickness of silence of people not speaking out against the war. We have to do this."

Anderson, a former Marine who said he was "drummed out" of the corps when he took a stand against the Vietnam War, said he'd love to see the Marines high-tail it out of town.

"We are confronted with an organization that can spend billions of dollars on propaganda," Anderson said. "This is not Okinawa here; we're involved in a naked act of aggression. If we can provide a space for ordinary people to express themselves against this kind of barbarity, then we should be doing it."
Old 01-31-2008, 11:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I've never understood why the Military is the scapegoat for the government as far as these douchbags are concerned. Sure, what they're designed to do isn't exactly non-aggressive but they're only pawns of the POTUS.

So I say fine with me! And while we're at it let's put a halt to grants, especially research grants that go toward their hippy factory UC. No more subsidies for roads, the elderly, highways, LEOs, etc. No more Federal Assistance in case of natural disasters either. Learn to swim, handle the aftermath of an earthquake, and put-out fires you ****ers. And while we're at it let's put a grinding halt to all GI Bill financing and Veteran housing or loan programs. No more money or postal service. Kiss all of it goodbye.

**** Berkeley. I don't see why the Marines bother trying to recruit pussies from that area anyways.

Last edited by Salty; 01-31-2008 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:29 AM

Car Info: 1999 Subaru Impreza L Wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
I don't see why the Marines bother trying to recruit pussies from that area anyways.
there gotta be at least "some" really smart berkely kids that want to join?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:55 AM
VIP Member

Too bad this will never happen:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,327466,00.html
Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
You all sure whine a lot about the removal of recruiters. It's not like they're closing a base or killing troops by sending them into a situation where they can die for no good cause. They're just saying that if someone in Berkeley wants to join, they'll have to drive 5 minutes to Oakland or another neighboring city. Big deal, find something worthwhile to complain about. Like how the current admin has mistreated serving troops and veterans the entire time they've been in office.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:57 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Readers comments here.

"Use Berkeley for MOUT training."
Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by MVWRX
You all sure whine a lot about the removal of recruiters. It's not like they're closing a base or killing troops by sending them into a situation where they can die for no good cause. They're just saying that if someone in Berkeley wants to join, they'll have to drive 5 minutes to Oakland or another neighboring city. Big deal, find something worthwhile to complain about. Like how the current admin has mistreated serving troops and veterans the entire time they've been in office.
Being a disabled veteran, I agree with everything you've said; the VA is a disgrace, DEMS & GOPers are a disgrace.
However, the fact remains that Berkeley wants all the benefits without any of the "risks".

After all, this isn't 1968.

BTW...
The military offers an excellent opportunity to those of .esser means to better themselves; life skills, education, money for education, etc.

Why would anyone be against that?

Last edited by FW Motorsports; 02-01-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:13 PM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
Why is it always the Bush admin? That ish has been going on since who knows when.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:43 PM
VIP Member

You all sure whine a lot about the removal of recruiters. It's not like they're closing a base or killing troops by sending them into a situation where they can die for no good cause. They're just saying that if someone in Berkeley wants to join, they'll have to drive 5 minutes to Oakland or another neighboring city. Big deal, find something worthwhile to complain about.
So that's what they're saying. Thanks! For being pretty intelligent you sure can be a douche sometimes, MVWRX. You know damn well that's not the message or this would of happened in smalltown, USA and not Bezerkeley. It's a matter of them trying to rid of a vital part of "the system" they often complain about that just so happens to guarantee their rights, safety and way of life. It's like having a party for someone and refusing to invite them.

And the mistreatment of service members is an entirely different matter i'll agree with you on.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:50 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
BTW...
The military offers an excellent opportunity to those of .esser means to better themselves; life skills, education, money for education, etc.

Why would anyone be against that?
Originally Posted by -j-
Why is it always the Bush admin? That ish has been going on since who knows when.

Because we're at war and the President is someone they despise as a leader for political and personal reasons. Do you honestly think they'd be doing this if Clinton were in office? No way. And they didn't. He used force without congress approval which should have made him more vulnerable to such a hippy attack. Which is my point... their fight is with the POTUS and not the military which only does what its told during war and peace time.

I'm sure they love the money for education part.

Last edited by Salty; 02-01-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

3 war opponents chain selves to door of recruiting station.

The demonstrators snapped their locks shut at 7 a.m. and spent the next 7 1/2 hours blocking the door, waving and chanting as hundreds of cars driving by honked in support. Finally, at 2:30 p.m., police snipped the chains and arrested them.

Two of the three were cited for blocking a business and released, and the third was booked into jail on an unrelated traffic warrant, police said.

"You guys are just cannon fodder!" the chained protesters shouted at three teenage boys who walked past the office and said they wanted to go inside. "They want to train you to kill babies!"

"I guess they've never heard of free speech," Councilwoman Dona Spring said.

UC Berkeley student Kyrolos El Giheny walked up to the front door and tried to go inside to talk to Lund about a possible Marine career. He was unable to get past the chained protesters.

"They told me, 'No business as usual today,' " El Giheny said. "It's kind of nutty. It's really an infringement on my rights."
Your constitutional rights end when they violate my rights.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
You know damn well that's not the message or this would of happened in smalltown, USA and not Bezerkeley. It's a matter of them trying to rid of a vital part of "the system" they often complain about that just so happens to guarantee their rights, safety and way of life.
I wasn't commenting on their message, I was commenting on the real world effect of their actions. Who gives a crap why they do it, it's their right to hate the country they live in. And since their actions are so wussified that it doesn't actually impact the safety of our country (because, as I said, anyone who would like to join the military can get to a recruiter easily), it's not treason. It's just little *****es whining. So who's more of a *****? The whiners, or the people who get angry about inconsequential whining?

Besides, if you want to get into a discussion about these liberal Berkeleyites, I'll have to point out that by being anti-military they are actually being MORE conservative (in it's true sense) than any pro-military person. Unless, of course, you can point out to me which part of the constitution protects our nation's right to have a standing (and recruiting) military.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:57 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Besides, if you want to get into a discussion about these liberal Berkeleyites, I'll have to point out that by being anti-military they are actually being MORE conservative (in it's true sense) than any pro-military person. Unless, of course, you can point out to me which part of the constitution protects our nation's right to have a standing (and recruiting) military.
It's the same amendment that protects abortion & welfare.

Oh, wait.....
Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
It's the same amendment that protects abortion & welfare.

Oh, wait.....
Hey, I never said I was a conservative. I thought you knew that. The majority of the people that are angry about this Berkeley thing claim to be though.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:53 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Not questioning your political leaning.

Berkeley can do what they want as long as they don't trample on the rights of others.
Same for the federal gov't; it does not have to give money to Berkeley.

Quick Reply: No says Berkeley