Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Navy Probes New Iraq Prisoner Photos

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 07:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Navy Probes New Iraq Prisoner Photos

I hate to say it but nothing about these photos looks fake. Although people do have access to all kinds of props these days...

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041204/D86ORN100.html

That dude's wife is an idiot for posting these types of pictures.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:58 AM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
I'm totally ignorant to the mindset of these troops being that I never served. But do they think it's OK to treat people like this?

I just have a hard time understanding the mindset that says "hey why don't I play with these people like thier dolls?"
Old 12-04-2004, 12:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
Having had some experience with Navy Seals in my experience those guys think that they can get away with anything, cause they pretty much can. They can walk over pretty much anyone they want and ignore whichever rules they feel like. Of course they are the elite and worked harder to get their than most people will work in their whole life, so I don't really begrudge them that. But they are treated like spoiled kids by USN.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:45 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by ftnssn
Having had some experience with Navy Seals in my experience those guys think that they can get away with anything, cause they pretty much can. They can walk over pretty much anyone they want and ignore whichever rules they feel like. Of course they are the elite and worked harder to get their than most people will work in their whole life, so I don't really begrudge them that. But they are treated like spoiled kids by USN.

This is true but seeing how they've been caught in the public there's hiding the fact.

When I was with Long Range Surveillance (LRS) we were SOC. We had dive teams, HALO/HAHO teams, pathfinders, regular Airborne/groundpounding teams and so forth. We could get away with murder in the barracks, training etc. Being attached to an MI battalion we had an MI Battalion commander and CSM. They left us alone because they weren’t infantry...

They knew we were squared away and never bothered us. They even told us to keep our "rituals" out of sight. We did some pretty horrific things to ****bags in order to eventually get them sent back to a regular line unit. Things some of the things were about par with the humiliation techniques at Abu Girhab prison.

There's a reason why SOG, SOC and combat soldiers act like this. And if you've never been forced into the killer type mind set as a civilian then you'll never understand. These men aren't savages... they all have families back home and are probably great fathers. You can't let yourself get "soft" in these types of situations or you'll hesitate and compromise the entire team when it counts.

Do I think they conducted themselves poorly? Yes I do... they could have prevented this from ever happening as a professional solider. Do I think it’s totally unacceptable? Not really... but the fact half of the civilian world has no concept of this type of behavior is what’s going to screw them out of their career. God forbid our most highly trained men are aggressive. Because our men need to have an emotional connection to the men they’ve been sent to kill, right? [/sarcasm]

Last edited by Salty; 12-04-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:19 PM
VIP Member

The media has gotten carried away with a lot of the photos though.

Especially this one (read photo caption): http://channels.aimtoday.com/news/bi...=20041203LA111

They make it seem like his sailor's boot is crushing the guy. It's obvious that the sailor is sitting on the side of the truck with his feet dangling inside the bed of the truck. The other foot is resting on an MRE box and the foot in question is resting on top of the detainee.

Here's another:http://apnews.myway.com/image/200412...ocid=D86ORN100

Again, nothing is happening here! The man is laying in the bed of the truck and has the other side of his body resting against the detainee.

http://apnews.myway.com/image/200412...ocid=D86ORN100

So maybe the man got violent and one of the SEALs put a butt-stock in his face. This picture holds absolutely no water during a war effort..

The only pictures that are screwing these men over are the one of the SIG Sauer pointed at the man's head and the one of a boot on the other man's neck for a photo opportunity. Besides them violating OPSEC, I really doubt anything happened beside them taking some pictures.

In other news...
Old 12-06-2004, 07:36 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
What are you talking about, Salty...those pictures speak a 1K words of just how the US forces are treating caputred bad guys.

They all still have their heads firmly attached to their bodies and are still alive!
Old 12-06-2004, 07:58 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Oaf
What are you talking about, Salty...those pictures speak a 1K words of just how the US forces are treating caputred bad guys.

They all still have their heads firmly attached to their bodies and are still alive!

hahah, yeah...
Old 12-07-2004, 07:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Originally Posted by Salty
I hate to say it but nothing about these photos looks fake. Although people do have access to all kinds of props these days...

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041204/D86ORN100.html

That dude's wife is an idiot for posting these types of pictures.
check out thier boots in the pic when thier stepping on the guys throat. what boot is standard issue?Even if you did do that, why would you photograph it?

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 12-07-2004 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:10 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
check out thier boots in the pic when thier stepping on the guys throat. what boot is standard issue?Even if you did do that
They're both standard issue. I actually own both sets too...

One are basic desert boots (right) and the other are cold weather/rappeling matterhorns

Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
why would you photograph it?
That's the problem...