Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

My Uncle has a good idea (I think) - microchipping insurgents

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Lightbulb My Uncle has a good idea (I think) - microchipping insurgents

My unc is a 2-war vet, having served as an Infantryman with the 75th ID during the Battle of the Bulge and with the 2nd ID during Korea (where he was taken as a POW.) He sells himself short because he feels that he doesn't understand the tactics, techniques, & procedures of modern warfare, though he surprised me.

His idea is to imbed microchips into our real and suspected adversaries.

I'm not all that technologically savvy, but this seems feasible to me. I know that the microchips they imbed in pets are RF, so the scanners must be inches away to work, but it would seem that they could swap technologies and instead of RF, use the same sort of technology as Blue Force Tracking or Identify Friend or Foe in order to be able to track the chip from vastly greater distances.

Every leader on the battlefield has what is called a "Black/White/Gray" list which is a roster of most every known, suspected or questionable person in Iraq or Afghanistan. These are people who are 'most wanted', have already been incarcerated, are only wanted for questioning, or simply listed for some sort of connection to someone else on the list. The idea would be to inject every one of them.

Possible arguments against:
- Civil rights organizations' protest
- Cost prohibitive
- defeatable (suspects running around with huge wounds from removing the chip; though if they don't know they're injected or don't know where they were injected, that might make it more difficult to remove)

Any other thoughts or arguments against?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I have a better and cheaper idea that will still raise civil rights questions: keep them incarcerated. I say we put them in orange jump suits and attach impenetrable tracking devices around their necks like necklaces. Either way... I guess we could add a little cyanide feature to the chip you speak of which would make it that much better in my book.

Bottom line is nobody will back the idea because too many people will complain about their rights.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:50 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
I tell you what, since you guys are so gung ho on the idea and don't have anything to hide, I mean its not like you are insurgents right? so why don't you go and have chips implanted in yourselves so you can lead by example.

I mean we are already locking people up for thought crimes, so as long as you are thinking correctly you should be glad to be ID'd as a proper patriotic 'merican.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:34 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by psoper
I mean we are already locking people up for thought crimes, so as long as you are thinking correctly you should be glad to be ID'd as a proper patriotic 'merican.
Really?
Who?

Only guy I'm aware of is Paul Williams...being sued for telling the truth.
Paul Williams Defence Fund
Old 06-06-2007, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

I mean its not like you are insurgents right? so why don't you go and have chips implanted in yourselves so you can lead by example.
Right, I'm NOT an insurgent... I'll let you know how that chip works out just as soon as I pose a threat to the war and the men and women on our side.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:09 AM
VIP Member

I tell you what, since you guys are so gung ho on the idea and don't have anything to hide, I mean its not like you are insurgents right? so why don't you go and have chips implanted in yourselves so you can lead by example.

A. Don't have anything to hide.
B. Not a biggie, just another shot (though the barrel of the needle is pretty girthy)
C. What does this have to do with anything? That's like making an argument against war by stipulating that all soldiers should be shot by a rifle prior to combat....just so they know what sort of pain they could be putting the enemy through.

If it's not a good idea, say so. Please state some lucid reasoning why. If it's a good idea, say so... It could be the stupidest idea ever for all I know.

Last edited by gpatmac; 06-07-2007 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:48 PM
VIP Member

...back from the dead.

I had another perspective which again, was so fundamental, I laugh at myself for not thinking of it initially.

It seems as though we ought to be able to purchase bulk amounts of microchips (as seen in this month's Popular Science magazine) and put several of them in OUR soldiers' gear. No need to implant them subdermally, unless someone opts for it (I know I would), but put it in LBV, boot heels, upper & lower receiver, belt....

As I stated before, I know that the PopSci article I posted is about RFID microchips, but it just seems to me that the technology that's used in Blue Force Tracker ought to be within grasp with regards to microchips, too.

And for the argument about further eroding privacy by having these things implanted or such...my gut tells me that that sort of thing isn't too far off anyhow. I know that the thought of my children being abducted (though the odds are probably infinitesimal) scare the bejeebies out of me, and given the opportunity to completely squash any chances of that happening by having my kids get 'chipped'; I'd do it in a second.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:27 AM
VIP Member

I would also like to point out how ridiculous this whole "privacy issue" would be in time of war. We all know it would happen and Sun Tzu would be shaking his head in disgust in the heavens. Proof that we never stood a chance in this war.