Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Mortgage lenders.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 03:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Mortgage lenders.

Hopefull this makes sense... i've had a few beers and it's really late.

You know, back when I first started doing mortgages I had a very hard time grasping the economics. It was easy to understand why a family of four could afford a 3/2 house on a 30yr loan with a strong joint income.
But as the refi-mania got into full swing in the last years it became clear that programs became more lenient. Lenders became more and more complacent and seemed to never question the economics of lending 500k to two immigrant mexicans when all that was needed on the loan conditions (hardcopy info I needed to fund a loan) were two months worth of bank statements and a doctors note (slight exaggeration but you get the idea). This is what I could never grasp. I would always question how this could be the done. But my quests were always drowned-out by those that thought time in the industry meant a firm understanding of economics and business. People trusted their superiors far too much when they really had no clue or were too greedy.

Problem was that a couple ignorant, greedy mother****ers at the top had every pawn employee below them fooled as if they really knew what they were doing. Now I realize my confusion for this part of the industry in the past wasn’t confusion at all... Instead, I was on to something the entire time. It was that half these programs and their conditions had no face value to begin with. My confusion was in knowing these programs could never work in the long run even though they continued to process these loans on crossed fingers and the receipt of a few easily attainable documents. Heck, If you could prove you had 3 months worth of considerable savings in your accounts or say you earned a believable amount in a believable profession despite you never being successful because you had 800 scores (stated income), then you too could have a massive loan while disregarding inevitable payment shock.

Now huge lenders are closing their doors. Just heard a HUGE lender (not countrywide) is shutting their doors this week putting a lot of once high salaried people on the unemployed list. Sad to hear but I can’t say I feel sorry for their carelessness.

I will say one thing and I hope it doesn’t sound like a plug to reputable lenders like my mom. I don’t do mortgages anymore so i'm not trying to benefit myself. This dip is going to weed-out every SOB that decided to get their license as a pastime or hobby. This posed another huge part of the problem for lenders. People said, “hey, I should get my real estate license so I can make money on the side of my primary profession or career. I can even help family members get homes.” Bad move for many. When they tried to hook-up a relative they forgot that them not being able to qualify for a loan was really a favor on the beneficiaries part for them not being able to afford the financing. They should have saw it coming.

I think the DRE is a huge part of the problem. The State Bar is a right of passage. Sure, you can take the test without ever attending law school but good luck passing! Even law students fail the exam consistently. If you fail it the first time your odds of failing are considerably higher each time you take the test. It’s just how the test was designed. But once you pass the relatively easy sales/broker exams for real estate the only thing in your way is a “go” “no-go” stamp on whether or not you should get a license. And the yes or no is based on criminal record only. You don't need to know the first thing about mortgages or real estate. Instead, half of them purchased a test-prep course that was solely focused on memorizing test material keywords only. It’s crap.

I think the hurdles for acquiring real estate licensing needs to be more significant. You wouldn’t let a doctor perform on you if he was board certified but did not attend medical school, would you? Not saying this is possible but you get my point. And like a fraudulent doctor performing surgery on you, the wrong advice given to you by a licensed real estate professional can seriously alter the trajectory of your life. The whole real estate system is a time bomb.

Last edited by Salty; 08-21-2007 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:41 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by Salty
The whole real estate system is a time bomb.

QFMFT!!
Old 08-21-2007, 10:38 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Sorry to hear you are no longer in the business. I'm still loving my loan you got me. I've tried sending business your way at every opportunity, but as you mentioned, everybody is either in the business or knows someone who they think will get them a great deal.

My in-laws' brother had just entered the loan business and moved them from a 5.875 fixed to a variable pick-a-payment and needless to say that was an idiotic move.

Related to your post, there should be no federal bailout of these greedy lenders who got themselves into this mess.

Current housing prices also are a result of insane lending practices, and the true pain on declining property values has yet to be felt. Just think of all the houses out there with 100% financing, many with interest only loans.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 08-21-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Going to Iraq is almost worth the VA loan nowdays. I thank God I'll never have to deal with this real-estate-buy-now-loss-your-***-later deal. Get deployed and do TDY training for a few years, save your money and buy something you can afford for damn near (if not) cash. Then......................get deployed again and rent it out to a buddy. The big problem now is that lenders are totally willing to lend money to people that are living way beyond their means. I see so many people that say........."oh it costs X amount, i can afford that, all i have to do is cut coupons, car pool with my significant other and work weekends". If you're going through all that you CAN'T afford it. Lastly, why would you want to? Have a nice house and NO life whatsoever. I'd rather live in a tent and have some cash to throw around.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:28 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Sorry to hear you are no longer in the business. I'm still loving my loan you got me. I've tried sending business your way at every opportunity, but as you mentioned, everybody is either in the business or knows someone who they think will get them a great deal.
And I got out in time. Truth be told, because I was a relavtive newcomer to the industry I got killed by everyone and their brothers having their licenses.

My mother - who got me into the business just after I got out of the Army - is still going strong. She's been at the top of the mortgage food chain for years and is basically a landmark now, even during these slow times. I remember her hustling to the wee hours of the morning as a single mom when rates were 10%+. I used to make full gourmet dinners at 10yrs old for her that just needed to be heated once she got home. If you have business to refer you can still pass it along so I can give it to her. Referrals of that sort do not go unnoticed.

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Current housing prices also are a result of insane lending practices, and the true pain on declining property values has yet to be felt. Just think of all the houses out there with 100% financing, many with interest only loans.
True. I can think of a few people that always tried to get max value on properties back in the day. The appraiser would have to pull ridiculous comps on area properties and pull strings to get the value they needed for the lender. Now comps are going to be reflected on the current market and the fact people are asking for rock-bottom pricing on a house that hasn't sold in a year. Terrific.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:27 PM

Hey Salty..............how about a re-enlistment package, the bonus is huge for 11B right now.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Hahaha nah man... wife would never budge on the idea not to mention i'm too fat now.

I have enough in savings and have since pursued a career as a chef. Always wanted to be one. I saw this coming a couple years ago and decided to use my GI Bill for culinary school awhile back.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
Hahaha nah man... wife would never budge on the idea not to mention i'm too fat now.

I have enough in savings and have since pursued a career as a chef. Always wanted to be one. I saw this coming a couple years ago and decided to use my GI Bill for culinary school awhile back.
HAHA That's so ironic. I love cooking and have been told I'd make a great chef but I like where I'm at and think if it became anything more than a hobby I'd lose my passion for it. Maybe it's all those years of MREs and Army chow that does it to us.