Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Letter from Howard Dean on Candidate Roberts

Old 09-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Letter from Howard Dean on Candidate Roberts

Democrats have decided to pursue their left wing extremism and go against Roberts, probably the most qualified individual to EVER be nominated for the position:

"I've been watching Supreme Court nominee John Roberts artfully dodge question after question during his confirmation hearings. And I've read the limited documents the White House released about his work in the Reagan and George H. W. Bush administrations -- though we are still waiting for answers for the over 100,000 Americans who submitted Freedom of Information Act requests for key documents.

But we know enough to see a pattern -- and I've made up my mind about John Roberts. He's the wrong man at the wrong time for our country -- a trait that he shares with much of the Republican leadership, including the president who nominated him.

I've written an op-ed that will appear in newspapers across the country tomorrow (you can get a preview at the bottom of this message). But I am just one voice -- your community needs to hear from you. By filling local papers with letters to editors, Americans watching this process unfold will understand that we have a different vision for the court and a different vision for our country.

Join me on editorial pages across America by writing a letter to the editor -- with our new online tool and talking points, you can write and submit your letter in minutes.

John Roberts may have a sharp legal mind, but his record shows that he lacks a sense of justice.

The skills John Roberts displays are like those of White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove or House Republican Leader Tom DeLay. Both of those men have sharp political minds -- they are among the smartest in Washington. But they use those skills to push a narrow ideology and win at any cost. Roberts has spent a career using the law to protect corporate interests and roll back the rights that protect us all.

Roberts, Rove, DeLay and the rest of the extremist Republican leadership all have the same problem. They abuse their power by pursuing ideological crusades -- and they ignore the real problems we face as a country and as a community.

Thousands of letters appearing in papers across the country will reach every American with our message -- that the time for narrow ideology and protecting the rights of only a few is over. Write a letter to the editor now.

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina and the disastrous response, we have seen the consequences of government by ideologues and political cronies. We have also seen the stark reality of American life that people like Roberts, Rove and DeLay either don't understand or choose to ignore -- that inequalities still persist to this day.

Our rights -- and the rights of the most vulnerable in our society -- are in danger. They are in danger from those who actively seek to roll them back, and they are in danger from those in positions of leadership who don't understand how important it is to protect the rights of every American.

The ultimate battleground for justice, fairness and opportunity in America has always been the Supreme Court. Justices have the power to use the law to hold America back, and they have the power to use the law to hold America to the high moral standards we set for ourselves.

Let's make sure that Americans open their newspapers and understand the stakes:

Thank you.

Governor Howard Dean, MF

PS YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWA (death scream)
Old 09-15-2005, 02:28 PM

Car Info: Sline
Have you written your letter yet HD?
Old 09-15-2005, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 02 BRP 2.5RS-T
If the Dems cannot even accept a moderate Republican (Too moderate for many conservatives) then their party is doomed IMO. Ginsberg is no moderate liberal yet she answered questions in the same manner as Roberts and the fuss was no where near what it's at today.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Bush appointed him. That's all these people care to feed on.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:51 PM

Car Info: 02 BRP 2.5RS-T
I say let them travel this path. Afterall it would make more sense to embrace a moderate and show America, that the democrats are the true inclusive party and that there is room for moderate conservative ideals in the mainstream democratic party. So doing the opposite should utterly wreck the fringe elements of the party if not the Democratic party as a whole.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Democrats have decided to pursue their left wing extremism and go against Roberts, probably the most qualified individual to EVER be nominated for the position
Please quantify your position with a reasoned argument including citations and relevant legal decisions.

Oh wait....that's your OPINION.

Never mind
Old 09-15-2005, 03:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
I say we need to mount a revolution.. repalce all politicatians with animatronic yellow hippos with whip cream dispensers!

that will teach em!

Old 09-15-2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by jvick125
Have you written your letter yet HD?
AHhah yes I have. I used the democrat site to send Pro-Roberts letters to all the local newspapers. You don't even have to use the default America-hating script!
Old 09-20-2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by lojasmo
Please quantify your position with a reasoned argument including citations and relevant legal decisions.
Stolen from an article:
He was formerly Rehnquist's law clerk, deputy solicitor general, Lawyer at Hogan & Hartson and, in the estimation of some, the finest oral advocate before the high court in the last decade.

Getting to this point has been a long and steady climb for Roberts, who was first nominated to the D.C. Circuit while he was in the Office of the Solicitor General in 1992. His nomination died, prompting Roberts to return to Hogan and build an esteemed and lucrative Supreme Court practice. He argued 39 cases before the Court in both the private and public sector, winning 25.

As far as case law, go look it up for yourself.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
Where's our in-house attorney when we need one??
Old 09-20-2005, 04:37 PM

Car Info: Looking for a Liberty CRD
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Stolen from an article:
He was formerly Rehnquist's law clerk, deputy solicitor general, Lawyer at Hogan & Hartson and, in the estimation of some, the finest oral advocate before the high court in the last decade.

Getting to this point has been a long and steady climb for Roberts, who was first nominated to the D.C. Circuit while he was in the Office of the Solicitor General in 1992. His nomination died, prompting Roberts to return to Hogan and build an esteemed and lucrative Supreme Court practice. He argued 39 cases before the Court in both the private and public sector, winning 25.

As far as case law, go look it up for yourself.
"in the opinion of some"

"estened and lucrative Supreme court practice"

"law clerk"

Gee you're right. Certainly one of the most qualified candidates among millions of lawyers out there. </sarcasm>
Old 09-21-2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by lojasmo
Certainly one of the most qualified candidates among millions of lawyers out there.
Yes, agreed.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:52 AM

Roberts approved by Senate vote today

About half of the Senate Democrats voted for him, so Dean and Kennedy are looking more and more like an extremist faction of the party.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:58 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
There has to be some dissent, to keep everyone honest. A uninamus confirmation vote would definatly raise some questions in my mind.

But I'm glad he was (relatively) easily confirmed, he seems very intelligent and I think that's the most important quality to have as a supreme court justice. Plus, if history is on the liberal's side, he'll end up being more liberal than even Bush Jr. thinks he is hahaha.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by MVWRX
There has to be some dissent, to keep everyone honest. A uninamus confirmation vote would definatly raise some questions in my mind.

But I'm glad he was (relatively) easily confirmed, he seems very intelligent and I think that's the most important quality to have as a supreme court justice. Plus, if history is on the liberal's side, he'll end up being more liberal than even Bush Jr. thinks he is hahaha.
Yeah, Roberts doesn't scare me one bit. I think he is a good choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Letter from Howard Dean on Candidate Roberts