Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Jesuit university students hold party, offends Latino community

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:05 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Jesuit university students hold party, offends Latino community

Race-themed party roiling Santa Clara University
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/16721367.htm
Originally Posted by MercuryNews.com
At first, the "South of the Border Party" thrown by Santa Clara University students didn't strike freshman Nadine Rasch as offensive. It seemed a cool event with nachos, sombreros, mariachi music and salsa dancing. And this being a college party, some tequila and Mexican beer were to be expected if not approved by the select "Jesuit university in Silicon Valley."

But students came dressed as Latino janitors, gardeners, gangbangers and pregnant homegirls.

"I realized they're making fun of me, because my dad worked so hard so I could have these opportunities, and they're making fun of people for that," said Rasch, 18, a finance major from Guatemala, who did not attend the party. "A lot of people have the idea that Mexicans or Latin Americans are all like that and that's wrong."

Photographs taken at the private, off-campus party and splashed on Internet sites reveal a crude and narrow portrayal of Latino life. One student hammed it up before the camera with a stuffed balloon on her belly, under her blouse. Another posed for a close-up shot of her puckered mouth, thickly lipsticked and lined in black. One student wore a janitorial costume complete with the long rubber gloves commonly used to clean bathrooms.

Like all but a few on campus, Rasch has been swept up in the roiling aftermath of the party held late last month.

Officially, President Paul Locatelli, administrators and faculty members condemned the party. Spokeswoman Deepa Arora said the school is investigating who organized and attended the party. While the college cannot ban off-campus parties, she said, Santa Clara has a code of conduct for all students, including those living off campus.

Student leaders organized a protest march that was joined by 250 people. The campus has held meetings and plans a forum next week.

Unofficially, students have jumped on the blogosphere to trade everything from thoughtful comments on race relations to arguments and insults.

"People are hurt, people are sad. Some are feeling this is becoming an unsafe place for them," said Bernice Aguas, 21, a Filipino-American senior and director of the student-run Multicultural Center. "That's why we want to take the appropriate steps and address this."

Meanwhile, a student writing in facebook.com said she attended the party and found it racially harmless.

"The entire school has blown up the situation," she wrote. It has "created unnecessary rage among faculty and students who now truly believe people at this school are `mocking' certain nationalities."

Word of the controversial party exploded this week on the front page of the Santa Clara, the university's student newspaper. Photographs taken by partygoers are posted on the newspaper's Web site. The newspaper also reported on photos posted online from an earlier "Fresh Off the Boat" theme party that mocked immigrants of various groups.

Staffers at the student paper said the controversy is polarizing the student body.

"Some people are saying people make fun of white people, too, so it's OK," said senior Liz Weeker, the assistant managing editor. "I don't sense there's much middle ground. People are either infuriated or they think everyone is making too big of a deal."

Santa Clara isn't alone in witnessing this vein of partying with negative, racial overtones. Parties mocking African-Americans have been reported at Macalester College in Minnesota, Clemson University in South Carolina, Trinity College in Connecticut, Whitman College in Washington and Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.

This week at Santa Clara University, President Locatelli sent a campuswide e-mail, and addressed the issue in a speech Tuesday.

"Both this party and these photographs were offensive to any of us with cultural sensitivity, and wounded and hurt in particular our faculty, staff and students of Latino heritage and outraged other members of our campus community," he said. "As a Jesuit Catholic university, Santa Clara will continue its commitment to creating a community of inclusive excellence."

Indeed, the university has a three-word motto: Compassion, conscience and competence. Those are the qualities the Jesuits expect every young man and woman to acquire in four years at Santa Clara University.

"To me, it was a failure of compassion," said David DeCosse of the university's Markkula Center for Applied Ethics. "Would you really, really make fun of somebody if you knew how hard their lives were -- hardworking Latinos, janitors and landscapers?"

Others on campus, including Locatelli, said even Santa Clara University students bring "inherited biases" to campus that surface in awkward, raw and confrontational ways. While students may protest the parties as racist or blow off the incident as meaningless, college officials were unanimous in seeing this as a "teachable moment."

"It's really a question of values that are at stake," DeCosse said. "We have our work cut out for ourselves, but I think we're up to it."
The funniest thing is that the party was held by students at a Jesuit university, LOL. What's the next party theme gonna be? Minstrel night with students in black face or Orient Express Night with fake buck teeth and baggy pajama pants?

Instead of being angry or offended, I think the Latino community should demand a party making fun of Catholics and the Catholic church. You can have a LOT of fun with that one these days. Some female students can dress up as nuns with their habits hiked up, make-up smeared. Others can be priests accompanied by 'little' boys and girls. But mostly 'little' boys, LOL. What is the percentage of priests in their 60s and 70s who aren't pedophiles?

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-18-2007, 08:37 AM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
did you hear about the "politically incorrect" party that was held at some minnesota school? one kid came as kkk and the other with black face and wearing a noose.....kinda ridiculous
Old 02-18-2007, 09:49 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
I'd like to see those pics from the party
Old 02-18-2007, 11:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally Posted by spedmunki
did you hear about the "politically incorrect" party that was held at some minnesota school? one kid came as kkk and the other with black face and wearing a noose.....kinda ridiculous
I think it's ridiculous that people care about what undergrads do a a measly party. If students at Howard wanted to dress-up as white inbred yokels and whatever else I wouldn't care whatsoever.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
How long have you been planning this?

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
Race-themed party roiling Santa Clara University
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/16721367.htm

The funniest thing is that the party was held by students at a Jesuit university, LOL. What's the next party theme gonna be? Minstrel night with students in black face or Orient Express Night with fake buck teeth and baggy pajama pants?

Instead of being angry or offended, I think the Latino community should demand a party making fun of Catholics and the Catholic church. You can have a LOT of fun with that one these days. Some female students can dress up as nuns with their habits hiked up, make-up smeared. Others can be priests accompanied by 'little' boys and girls. But mostly 'little' boys, LOL. What is the percentage of priests in their 60s and 70s who aren't pedophiles?

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Sounds like you've had this Catholic party in the works for quite a while...lol.

I can see how this party would **** off the Latino community. It's obviously making fun of them. I didn't care enough to read the article in full, but if this party was held on campus, someone should be held responsible.

Obviously these "educated" young people know that not all Latinos scrub toilets for a living and not all Latino women are single moms. It's just the unfortunate minority of that community. Just as it is for all races. Of course, race has nothing to do with it. Why was this party themed the way it was? Fiesta + Tequila = Good times! Although, not much can beat the Mardi Gras themed parties.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:55 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy
toga! toga! toga!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:57 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
You guys need to chill out. Parties like this help people understand some of the longstanding perceptions (often negative) that other races develop towards eachother. This could lead to a constructive dialogue, but people are too racially overreactive to realize it.

Personally, I love it when folks make fun of white people... it's actually quite nice to hear them try to not butcher the English language for once. Hahah raice baiting! Yeeehawwwwww

People hate being seen for what they are.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 02-23-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX Sedan & 2008 GMC Sierra 4x4
Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
Ha! I was a pedophile Catholic priest for Halloween a few years ago. I won best costume and worst costume at the annual party that year.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
My wife and I did that once. I had the priest with a boy doll strapped on my dick and she was a pregant nun. We went as Peter and Lois from family guy last year...
Old 02-23-2007, 04:15 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
I think everybody did the whole priest/little boy thing this past halloween, but wow they really blew that party up and took it for what it wasn't. I can't believe all of these people are getting so hurt and offended by the actions of college students at a party. I mean god forbid anyone make fun of another culture that has worked soooo hard.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:14 AM

Why is anyone worried what the peasant invaders think anyway?
Old 02-24-2007, 07:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1995 Impreza L
Peasant invaders huh.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by pbchief2
Peasant invaders huh.
Yes, it's far more accurate than "illegal aliens."

Last edited by HellaDumb; 02-24-2007 at 10:44 PM.