Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

Japan now teaching patriotism in schools.. why don't we?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 01:40 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Japan now teaching patriotism in schools.. why don't we?

In Japan they're now going to start teaching patriotism. Why is our country so self-hating, and do you think America-hating liberal scum would allow it? I think the greedy execs that are selling out the country right now could have used this "brainwashing."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapc....ap/index.html
Old 12-16-2006, 04:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
The problem seems that some people (and we know who they are) seem to think that being completely neutral to all things is the American way. The problem with that is good natured things get lumped into a category of things inherently bad. Not saying it's put into the same category as rape or murder, but maybe things like race and talking about abortion. We avoid it.

It's really quite sad... when I was in Japan their defense agency was unspoken of. It was like this mysterious and voodoo-like force that may or may not have access to weapons and helicopters. If I hadn’t been around them at one point while I was there I would have never known who the hell they were. The way the Japanese avoided the existence of their forces reminded me so much of how a lot of us cast patriotism aside. What's the worse that can happen? People revert back to 40s sense of pride? Count me in. People keep complaining that America is headed in the wrong direction. I'm a firm believer that this neutral mindset and lack of patriotism is a big part of the problem.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:10 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
I was taught patriotism in school. I did the pledge everyday, sang patriotic songs, made decorations for all the major patriotic holidays, etc...

if young adults and adults choose to express their patriotism by criticising the government when they f*** up, maybe the government shouldn't f*** up so much...

Blind allegience is in no way patriotism, it is more detrimental to a country than good (how the German people basically voted in and followed the **** party based on extreme German patriotism, for example).

Japan had an extremely low level of taught patriotism since the war...my guess is this 'new patriotism' won't bring them even close to the level that American children already get in school...

so to answer helladumb's question...we already do
Old 12-17-2006, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
It's all politics...

If a Republican President is in charge (doing good or bad) the democrats will demonize him. Then they will demonize anyone who supports him. Then they will demonize the very thought of hanging a flag in front of your house during this persons term. I'm just using the current state of things as an example but the same thing would happen if it were a democratic president.

It's like good and evil battling for your soul. Or rather neutral and neutral. But both sides will do their best to make you feel guilty for hanging a flag or saying the pledge while the other is in power. True patriots that love their country will ignore what the politicians preach and just go with their gut feelings. Displaying their patriotism as proudly as they can. We need to trash all this political correctness BS that makes us all so self conscious about how our neighbors might feel if we fly the flag or sing Christmas Carols...or whatever we like to do. When I was a kid, that's what we did and everyone loved it. That was in the early 80's.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:39 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MVWRX

Blind allegience is in no way patriotism, it is more detrimental to a country than good (how the German people basically voted in and followed the **** party based on extreme German patriotism, for example).
That's a very bold thing to say considering what the majority of US voters did on 2004. Are you suggesting that 60,000,000 people have a blind allegiance?

I'd have to disagree with you on the whole Patriotism thing. Here's my theory on why Patriotism just isn't what it used to be: The religious right is very patriotic. You can't drive to the nearest Starbucks or McDonalds without seeing a "God Bless America" bumper sticker. As an agnostic individual I think it's great that the religious right acts as a vehicle for patriotism. But because of this it seems like the left avoids being associated with flamboyant acts of Patriotism. I'm not saying this majority of those that swing left aren't patriotic... I just think they have a different way of showing it. But some go as far as criticizing and doing absolutely nothing for ones country. This is NOT patriotism, this is called bottom-feeding. The fact I can denounce the very country I contribute nothing to makes me a true patriot because I practice the 1st amendment.

I also think those on the left avoid displays of patriotism because their constant attempts to keep everything on a level playing field. Feel free to display your giant Puerto Rican flag on your rearview mirror or drape your Mexican flag around you like a robe despite the huge burden it creates and hypocrisy regarding the Mexican Constitution. But deep inside their green liberal hearts they truly realize that America is the greatest country in the world. Despite their efforts to bring it down with words and clever t-shirts, they still live here. Actions do speak louder than words. But there’s no chance they’ll ever say they love this country and don’t even think they’ll display our countries colors. No sir, that’s not patriotism, that’s nationalism. *sigh* This is the problem and where the confusion lies.

Last edited by Salty; 12-17-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 AM

It also doesn't help that we have an influx of so many foreign workers, immigrants, and those granted citizenship who have an underlying allegience to foreign governments. Just think of all the Sino-devoted software engineers working for U.S. firms that run our infrastructure and even military.

Pretty dire if you ask me. China, in this instance, basically could basically "turn off the lights" at a whim.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it would be nice to know that "we" use a little sanity and scrutiny in dealings like this. Why would we let foreign-born people develop software that is critical to sustaining our infrastructure, military, etc? I fear many people in business and gov't have no patriotism and are driven by short term dollars.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 12-18-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:13 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
It also doesn't help that we have an influx of so many foreign workers, immigrants, and those granted citizenship who have an underlying allegience to foreign governments. Just think of all the Sino-devoted software engineers working for U.S. firms that run our infrastructure and even military.
Military too? I've known and know a lot of people that served in America's military that would die for this country even though they were proud to be from another country. There's no doubt in my mind that they'd fight for America against their families native country. They might be a sick about it but they'd certainly do it if it was noble. I think serving in our military is one of the most patriotic things one can do. Are you talking about contracted civilian workers?

Other than me disagreeing on that note I absolutely agree with the rest. Displaying your colors and pride for another country shows patriotism for your heritage or home country, not patriotism for the USA. And let's face it, even though America is the land of immigrants the fact one exercises his or her right to paint a giant flag on their garage door (or whatever) is not US patriotism. It's a load of crap that it's "American patriotism" just because they're exercising this free-speech right.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by Salty
Military too? I've known and know a lot of people that served in America's military that would die for this country even though they were proud to be from another country. There's no doubt in my mind that they'd fight for America against their families native country. They might be a sick about it but they'd certainly do it if it was noble. I think serving in our military is one of the most patriotic things one can do. Are you talking about contracted civilian workers?

Other than me disagreeing on that note I absolutely agree with the rest. Displaying your colors and pride for another country shows patriotism for your heritage or home country, not patriotism for the USA. And let's face it, even though America is the land of immigrants the fact one exercises his or her right to paint a giant flag on their garage door (or whatever) is not US patriotism. It's a load of crap that it's "American patriotism" just because they're exercising this free-speech right.

I totally agree. I'm of Irish descent but in my heart I'm an American, through and through. If I was asked I'd fight against Ireland and die doing it if America's livelihood was at risk. I'm sure the same goes for you.

One thing that I've noticed is that people who have experienced another country and are in the military are often the best soldiers. I can't count how many people in the Army I've met that you can barely understand because of an accent but they're the most patriotic America-loving soldiers there are. One of the best soldiers I've ever met was an authentic 100% Navajo indian. I'd always admired the codetalkers and quite honestly had never met a actual Native American (I'm 1/8th but that doesn't even really count). That's a culture that from what I can gather has truly had everything taken away by what is now America. The vast plains their ancestors once had free rein over are now a thing of the past. He was awesome though as a soldier. Totally professional and a great attitude.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:16 AM

I mean the "civilians" working for firms that supply some of the technology our troops rely on, like battlefield networks, satellite, general communications, supply lines, and basic stuff like food inventory management.
The level at which our military increasingly relies on such technology puts us at great risk, considering the known aggressiveness and success that Russia and China have had at penetrating all levels of government and civilian life. Would it be unreasonable to assume that the intellectual property theft that continues from domestic foreign agents doesn't also have another motive of national security for foreign countries? I guarantee you that if we ever have a conflict with China, they could bring our whole society back to the dark ages through malicious coding and exploitation/vulnerability analysis done over the last decade. Whose gonna turn back on the lights when 99% of the technologically savvy in this country are foreigners?

I think an insane mindset has permeated this country, leading to the insane trust and reliance on foreigners,(specifically not from countries with a history deserving of trust) selling out of this country for a quick buck. I bet you our military leaders don't quite recognize the present and future crisis. This is a matter of national security and they're asleep at the wheel.

Last edited by HellaDumb; 12-24-2006 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
We will never have true patriotism as long as our gov uses a 2 party system.

All we will ever do is fight over who is better or right.

Which is why we always here things like "dirty liberals" and such.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:20 PM
VIP Member

But to get back on topic

The Japanese were barbaric enough that some **** commanders cringed. We were barbaric when we conquered this land. Japanese are and were racist. Anyone that's been to Asia know just how racist Japanese and other Asians can be. So were Americans in the mid-19th Century. We all have reasons to be proud of our countries and ashamed to some degree. Patriotism is fine and so is Nationalism to a degree. This degree of Nationalism needs to be kept in check.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:53 PM

But to get back on topic

The Japanese were barbaric enough that some **** commanders cringed. We were barbaric when we conquered this land. Japanese are and were racist. Anyone that's been to Asia know just how racist Japanese and other Asians can be. So were Americans in the mid-19th Century. We all have reasons to be proud of our countries and ashamed to some degree. Patriotism is fine and so is Nationalism to a degree. This degree of Nationalism needs to be kept in check.
Well if there's anything left of us after China kicks our *ss then maybe we'll have a renewed sense of patriotism and nationalism.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:28 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Well if there's anything left of us after China kicks our *ss then maybe we'll have a renewed sense of patriotism and nationalism.
And this is why I think Japan is taking this stance as opposed to being mum about their military and pride which is the way I saw it when i was there. This way they can wear their military and pride right on their sleeves for China to see.