Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

It's a Flat World, After All

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:27 PM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
It's a Flat World, After All

Yesterday after I got my New York Times, I was reading the magazine and found the most fascanatiing article, which is done by Thomas L. Friedman who writes for the Op-Ed page in the Times. THis is a sampler of what is his new book, coming out this week (which I am going to get right away) called "The World is Flat: A Breif History of the Twenty-First Century". I would highly suggest reading this article, and getting the book if you like it but here are the basic points of his thesis:
-In the new, technology driven world the world has been in essence been flattened. No longer is there a separation between east and west, because in this new Globalization 3.0 world the walls have been taken down, and more and more are falling every day.

-America is falling behind: We have become lazy, uneducated and unmotivated, and this will lead to our dramatic fall from the top. If we want to continue leading the world, we have to run faster, and work harder. Otherwise we will fall.

Though I can't summerize it all, here are the last three paragraphs which prety much sum it up:
These are some fo the reasons that Bill Gates, the Microsoft chairman, warned the govenors' confrence in a Feb. 26 speech that American high-school education is "obsolete." As Gates pu it: "When I compare our high schools to what I see when I'm traveling abroad, I am terrified for our work force of tomorrow. In math and science, our fourth graders are amount the top students in the world. By eighty grade, they're in the middle of the pack. By 12th grade, U.S. students are scoring near the bottom of all industrialized nations. ... The percentage of population with a college degree is important, but so are sheer numbers. In 2001, India gradulated almost a million more students from college than the United States did. China graduates twice as many students with bachelor's degrees as the U.S., and they have six times as many graduates majoring in engineering. In the international competition to have the biggest and best supply of knowldge workers, America is falling behind."

We neeed to get going immediately. It takes 15 years to train a good engineer, becasue, ladies and gentlemen, this really is rocket science. So parents, throw away the Game Boy, turn off the television adn get your kids to work. There is no sugar-coating this: in a flat world, every individual is going to have to run a little faster if he or she wants to advance his or her standard of living. When I was growing up, my parents used to say to me, "Tom, finish your dinner - people in China are starving." But after sailing to the edges of the flat world for a year, I am now telling my own daughters, "Girls, finish your homework - people in China and India are starving for your jobs."
I repeat, this is not a test. THis is the beginning of a crisis that won't remain quiet for long. And as the Stanford economist Paul Romer so rightly says, "A crisis is a terrible thing to waste."
As I was reading this, I sort of had a a de-ja-voux reaction as I had thought of a very similar thing when I was in Costa Rica only 2 weeks ago. Everywhere is now connected, and nolonger is there a knowledge gap between the industrial and other world. THey have cell phones, and more importantly computers that connect them to jobs and opprotunities is the rest of the world. Furthermore, there is a reason for the outsourcing that is pretty obvious: These people in India, China, and the rest of the non-industrial world are more motivated, and much more educated than our workforce, and more importantly the work force we are putting out.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.
-Jeff
Old 04-04-2005, 07:28 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
nothing new really, america as a whole has it's head buried, concerned over blue collar jobs and whatnot, i mean, yeah people are losing their jobs in those areas and that sucks, but instead of *****ing about it maybe they should just change professions (like my mom had to do after clinton got elected). at least i don't have to worry about outsourcing, i'm a music major.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:56 PM

^^ Yeah you'll be poor either way. I kid.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:24 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
this is what ultimately sucks about the current political cat-fight. while dems and republicans battle over votes, the schools and programs for kids are either neglected, run ashore, or poorly funded.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:08 AM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Originally Posted by dub2w
this is what ultimately sucks about the current political cat-fight. while dems and republicans battle over votes, the schools and programs for kids are either neglected, run ashore, or poorly funded.
werd, I feel like high school was pointless because it did nothing to prepare me for what I'm doing in college.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:27 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
I just find it fascanating that we who are said to be the only superpower, and who used to be top in engineering and education have now fallen so much. And even more than that, the idea that in the next 2-3 years India and China (previously 3rd world countries) will most likely become super powers themselves, with then starting to invent more things and put out more products.
-Jeff
Old 04-06-2005, 11:50 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
In the Bay Area, non-US-born citizens hold the majority of jobs around me.....

White people are lazy =)